Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

You be the judge...

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Si Sancho, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Si Sancho

Si Sancho New Member

July 25th, my son dropped his phone and broke it. Yeah, Yeah, I know... so don't even bother saying it :)

August 1st I purchased a Samsung A900 and gave my Sanyo 8100 to my son as a replacement for his broken phone.

The A900 installed immediately and all services work, we were not so lucky with the Sanyo 8100. Phone service works but Sprint is still unable to configure Vision (the old version) to work.

August 7th, after NUMEROUS tech support calls (and the dreaded 4 hour wait) Vision STILL does not work. I ask Sprint to provide me with a replacement phone as there were several indications that something had been mis-programmed along the way and access to even the set up menu (the ##310296# thing) was not working. There seems to also be an issue with quick battery discharge although I question if that has anything to do with this reprovisioning and other attempts at making Vision work. Needless to say, after 5+ days (estimate about 30+ hours) of this fiasco I began to look to other solutions. One of course was to simply replace the phone. IMHO I feel that Sprint should share the replacement cost. (I think it used to be called customer service goodwill)....

I had purchased the A900 at a Radio Shack store, the people there bent over backward to assist me with this issue. I decided to just purchase another A900 from Radio Shack, this went well until Sprint refused (READ: we can't generate authorization numbers manually) to provide Radio Shack with an authorization code that would allow the $99.00 (after $100) rebate price. Sprint did offer to credit my bill for $150.00 (I was supposed to get TWO $20.00 credits for my inconvenience too... that never showed up!) as a work around the authorization issue. As you can imagine (I could anyway!) my level of trust in ANYTHING Sprint had to say or offer was about a -5 on a 0 to 10 scale. After a bit of heated conversation with the supervisor my wife as told that she must take the $150.00 offer NOW or it will be recinded. She refused the offer.

(sorry this is so long!)

The other part of this issue is that once I transferred my old Sanyo 8100 phone to my son, Sprint automatically reset the clock so that he now can't get the dreaded "upgrade".

I don't think I need to explain my frustration and disappointment with my dealings with Sprint! We have used their service for 5 years, we have done this hand me down thing twice before... and EVERY time it get's FUBARed only this time they were totally unable to "fix" it and showed absolutely no interest in helping me find an equitable solution. You might disagree since they offered the $150.00 credit.. I consider that money better spent in Lost Wages, NV!

So, why am I stating this here on this forum... because it might help others avoid doing business with Sprint, or at least not do the "hand me down" trick.

Bottom line.. as soon as my agreement runs out (we have three phones) I WILL be changing vendors. Unfortunately, from what I read, they are ALL crooks and have little interest in their customers.. volume selling.. at any price seems to be the name of the game!

Good luck...
    -Si

2. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I had Sprint a few years ago (I just recently came back). I do remember them being contract date reset happy or extension happy. Any little thing you do seems to warrant a contract extension on top of the months you still have left. When I had Sprint a few years ago, I bought a phone at full price and I was told I had to ADD two more years to my contract. If I would've understood completely then as I do now, I would've told them to go f*ck themselves. I endedup getting out and not paying ETFs anyway. I can't say anything in regards to your particular phone issues but, as far as the new contract date for your son's line just because your son was given your old phone, I would keep calling Sprint back until it got fixed. I would absolutely refuse this new contract because you didn't buy a new phone and got discounts for your son's line. Now I also see that you bought a second phone after giving up on your old one? I'm assuming it's for your son's line. You both have A900s? If you got any kind of credit to your account that resembles a discount price or a flat out discounted price, then I can see the reason for new contracts. If there still is problems, persistance pays off. I know this all to well.

Larry might want to chime in on this. LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    When you change your ESN it prolongs your upgrade time. My co-worker used to work for Sprint, and he told me all of this.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Now that's ridiculous and makes CDMA carriers less appealing than GSM carriers. They should be more flexible and allow phones to be switched easily since more and more people want to switch phones more often. This is one/if not the greatest advantage of GSM and CDMA carriers should know that and work around that and find as best solutions as they can with them not having sim cards.

5. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Face it...it's sprint!! They over charged me and did almost the same thing about 3 years ago when i had them. Extended my contract when i didnt even know it was extended. So when i went to cancel my service..they said you still have another 15 months left..i was like WHAT? said i resigned a 2-yr contract ona certain date...so i paid the ETF and left sprint. I had the same phone issues. Vision wouldn't work and also problems with my text messaging. The refused to fix the issue and i was told i had to buy a new phone. I refused and told the rep that vision and text messaging werrent needed and i was still charged for the 2 months for them. Again goes to show that sprint doesn't care about their customers..
    CI

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The rebate clock should not be reset unless you buy a new phone or activate a used one that has never been used on your account before. So in other words let's say you you've been using the same phone for two years then get a $150 savings on a new one but keep the old one. You can then re-activate your old phone if you choose without resetting your rebate clock. But if you get another previously activated phone from someone else (such as ebay) that will reset your rebate clock. This whole current process sucks and is supposed to be changed soon.

You DO NOT have to renew your contract to do an ESN swap unless you're trying to get a rebate/discount on the phone or changing plans.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That is correct unless it's an ESN that's previously been active on your account before.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Yeah it is ridiculous. I remember when swaping ESN was free and you could even do it online by yourself without having to call customer service. Then Vision came along and changed that. :rolleyes:

9. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Activating ANY phone that was not purchased from Sprint (e.g. Ebay or a friend) should not reset the clock. It doesn't reset the clock for Verizon. Sprint is really screwed-up in this regard. :mad:

10. Steve B

Steve B Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree because if a friend gives you a used phone or you bought a used from whomever, you took it upon yourself and went out of your way to find that phone. Sprint had NOTHING to do with it. So you're right, it shouldn't reset the clock.

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree. I think it's just one of those things that Sprint goofed up on and should change.

12. Si Sancho

Si Sancho New Member

An update on my Sprint "experience"....

The final solution was to REPLACE my son's phone, since it was apparently not reprovisionable anyway (he was pleased with the A900 replacement! :rolleyes: ) so we now have two A900's. Of course the end result here is that now we're stuck with Sprint for another 2 years! Unfortunately, part of the entire issue is that most of our friends and extended family members have Sprint phones, so, if we changed vendors... well, you see the delimma! BTW.. just the process of getting him an A900 was lengthly but not worthy of explaination and wasting anyones time, just suffice it to say, mission accomplished.. finally.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions!

-Si

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint has a lot of network improvements planned for California this year. It's only going to get better and better.

14. TProphet

TProphet I *am* a mobile phone

My Phone:
    Sanyo 7200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Cingular, Virgin Mobile Canada
    This isn't a CDMA versus GSM thing. GSM carriers could charge you every time that you changed your IMEI, or even block you from using anything but a particular IMSI/IMEI combination.

The reality is that no other carrier except for Sprint penalizes you for switching to a different phone. It's insane, it makes no sense, and that's how Sprint does business. This is just one of the reasons why Sprint is generally only competitive when they have the lowest price.

15. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :speechles :speechles :speechles :speechles
    So, let me get this straight... when you change an ESN on Sprint, they charge you to do it? WTF?