Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Y does everyone bash TracFone????

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ballazck, Jul 29, 2004.

1. ballazck

ballazck Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3587i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I don't understand y everyone bashes TracFone? I have had it for about a month and I LOVE it. It is perfect considering I'm only 13. I use an old Nokia 252 analog phone and it works great around where i live! Let's c if u guys can tell me what is so worng with it!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Hm that post was stupid and unneeded. And from what I see I don't think anyone has bashed TracFone... at least not on a regular basis.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I've never bashed TracFone. I let no one mess around with my carrier though, huh Gideon? If everyone else bashes it supposedly, it shouldn't matter to you as long as it works great for you, that's all that matters.

4. ballazck

ballazck Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3587i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    No I just wanted 2 c if there was anything wrong with it and if there was anything I should look out for! :cool:

5. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless GSM America
    Well i am around ur same age except (not exact) and have AT&T Free-2-Go (TDMA soon to be GSM when ATT is aquired by Cingular) Wireless @ .25 per minute (longdistance included), nationwide coverage, unlimited free incoming TXT and .10 outgoing TXT and the best thing of all there is NO activation (so i can let my account terminate and just start it back up whenever i need to for no charge -- except the $10 airtime card i have to buy). I am also glad the lowest denomination is $10 (fits perfect with my budget :) ) Last but not least they have the coverage were i need it. Also they have great friendly, helpful and patient costumer service reps. which is very important.

I have heard some deturing things about tracfone (i am not trying to bash tracfone -- if it works for you GREAT) like it is .25 per mintue but once you get out of your local area you get charged double the mintue rate (that would be .50 per minute). And then when you are roaming out of your area it is .50 plus roaming charges. The good thing is they have AMPS, TDMA and GSM analog services. But what i don't get is if it is .25 per minute then why when i look at ATT prepaid you get 80 mins for $10 (same rate as tracfone) but when i look at Tracfone prepaid you get 40 mins for $19.99 (maybe it is .50 per mintue, which is a little steep for me)

Anyways i had ATT when it was 50 for instate calls and out of state you paid .85 per min (but when out of state you had to stay that rate for one month, then switch back to .50 instate)

Then i made the mistake of switching to Cingular Wireless KIC - when it was TDMA - (for me it was a big mistake), i mean it was .35 per min peak (.10 more than ATT now has -- so you save .10 per min which can be spent on sending TXT MSGS) and .10 nights and weekends (was nice but i had to wait for a night or weekend to make a economically sound call). And it was .10 per TXT message sent and recieved (which i could have saved .10 txt messaging with ATT). And i only got coverage from MN, IA, MO, AR and LA east (where as ATT gave me nationwide)

And another thing about Cingular KIC TDMA i had my TDMA KIC and TDMA phone and used in Metro areas then turned it off when not in use and drove home in about 20 mins, powered the phone back on and bam zoom it was DEAD (as in could not recieve a signal and had no service). Then i called CS and all they said was that all i could do it buy a new TDMA phone. Cingular CS did try to troubleshoot the problem but to no prevail. When truth behold they were shutting down TDMA prepaid networks and starting up GSM. So that is when i switched back to ATT. So i did not know this until my friend had her phone and it looked weird and to high tech to be TDMA so i looked on Nokias website and found out it was GSM phone. So there you go they switched KIC to GSM withOUT even telling TDMA costumers what nerve. Then i call and ask CS if they have GSM prepaid up and running and they say NO. What give my friend has a GSM phone on the GSM network and uses it to make calls and Cingular CS says the GSM network is not up and running yet.

That made me REALLY mad! :mad:

So then i switched back to ATT when they dropped their rates to .25 per mintue nationwide and had the same features (only thing that changed was the rate per minute). Also i really HOPE Cingular honors my features but upgrades me to GSM prepaid and has GSM prepaid service in VA - that would be good - but if they stick me with the prepaid service they have now i am going to leave them and switch to ATT Corp Telecommunications which will MVNO off Sprints Network)

So Cingular PLEASE switch me to GSM Prepaid but honor my features (i do not want Cingular features no matter what deal they give me on a phone, if any)

Heres what they should do either switch people to Cingular GSM KIC or keep them with their Free-2-Go features and switch them to GSM (let the costumer make the choice) !! And give all incoming costumers a deal (like 50 dollars off their new GSM phone -- mail in rebate or give them 20 min a month free for a year -- like ATT did)

6. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA

Hi Ballazck. I don't think your post was stupid. Welcome to WA!!

I haven't heard too many complain of Tracfone on this forum, but in general yes Tracfone is not considered the "coolest" service to have among youths.

Using analog only service, you are limited to making calls only. But then again, isn't that what phones are for; to make and receive calls??? Many prefer the clarity of digital phones. For someone who likes to two-way text message or send picture mail, they would need a digital phone. Tracfone does however offer new digital phones in their lineup.

My niece cleans my place each week and I told her I'd get her a Verizon Prepaid Phone which will let her download ringtones and games. I think that might be a nice Christmas gift for you if mom and dad wants to buy it for you.

Make sure it's cool with mom and pop to post messages on this forum. I don't want you to get in trouble.

Never hesitate to ask any questions here if you have them. Nice to meet you. :cool:

7. ballazck

ballazck Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3587i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thx. I will c if my parents would be cool with me workin to get a digital phone. Also, I was wonderin if anybody has had experiance with Simple Freedom Pre-Paid? There phones look nicer than the ones TracFone has and u can dwnload ringtones!!! :D

8. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So you are 13 i am 14 what a small world finally a younger teen in the forums, i will try to help out as much as possible

Well read my posts a couple up and you will find out all about ATT Free-2-Go

I mean if you don't really have a budget or a small one ATT is there for you (me thats why i have it)

No Contract
    Flat rate of .25 per min
    UNLIMITED FREE Incoming Text Messages
    .10 for Outgoing Text Messages
    Great TDMA (Digital Service) with Analog Backup
    Nationwide Service
    Enexpensive phones and they aren't half bad lookin' either
    And you have 90 days to use your minutes (which comes out to about 3 months)
    And the lowest denomination card is $10 so multiply 10 x 4 = $40 in a year you will spend if you refill every 3 monthes - which is a very good deal for me
    They are going to upgrade us to GSM in the future (when merged with Cingular) and WE should be able to KEEP our ATT Wireless features instead of going with Cingulars
    Can't WAIT for GSM

And if you let your account dwindle down to NO money you can leave it there for up to 3 monthes then they will notify by mail taht you account has froze and give you 2 more monthes to reopen it. If not your account and number will terminate which makes you get a new number.

O yea and if your account or when your account reaches $5.00 then they will TXT you to let you know that your account has $5.00 in it or lower. (it is really handy to know this sometimes)

Also they have nice costumer service.

Best thing of all about every year there is a deal coming around (well this year there were two but anyways) - usually a discount on a phone or free minutes (like this year they had $40 off a new ATT Wireless phone and buy a $25 refill card and ATT Wireless will give you 20 minutes free EACH month for one full year) now i call that generous

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Verizon they have better nationwide coverage (if coverage is what your looking for) but if your looking for low rates ATT is the way to go (Verizon has .35 CONNECTION FEE but .10 per min after that) and all cards expire in 30 = bummer
    And phones are a little more expensive than ATT

Now please don't go with Cingular (they don't give true nationwide coverage) and an activation fee applies of $15 and .35 per min peak .10 off peak and .10 for ALL TXT messages incoming and outgoing. - not a good deal at least for me

Now Simple Freedom they are pretty good at Wal-Mart you can buy the simple freedome digital (CDMA) phone Nokia 3585i for 56.97 and all airtime cards expire in 60 days. You get Alltel's and Verizons nationwide Coverage which makes to be the biggest coverage offered by any prepaid service.

Also Alltel has their own prepaid which is not true nationwide either (they only service the southeast, midwest and southwest) and its a $35 activation fee BUT as long as you use at least one min per month your card will never expire

9. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You could've asked if there are any problems with Tracfone. That would've given you helpful feedback as opposed to your initial attempt.

10. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well i understood what he said, and here is the ansewer

I have heard some deturing things about tracfone (i am not trying to bash tracfone -- if it works for you GREAT) like it is .25 per mintue but once you get out of your local area you get charged double the mintue rate (that would be .50 per minute). And then when you are roaming out of your area it is .50 plus roaming charges. The good thing is they have AMPS, TDMA and GSM analog services. But what i don't get is if it is .25 per minute then why when i look at ATT prepaid you get 80 mins for $10 (same rate as tracfone) but when i look at Tracfone prepaid you get 40 mins for $19.99 (maybe it is .50 per mintue, which is a little steep for me)

11. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    ^ Lol I thought the same thing... but that's ok. I've used TracFone before (CDMA, not Analog) and it worked fine. I don't like prepaid though...

12. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well where i live TracFone used to be TDMA (with them selling the Nokia 5965) and now on the website they have a promotion for a Nokia GSM phone so they are turning on GSM (or should i say signing roaming aggrements)

13. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Neither do I, no offense :D

14. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone uses ATT's AMPS system
    ATT's GSM system
    ATT's TDMA system

15. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I've had TracFone service for almost 2 weeks now with no problems or issues to speak of. After I did the math, I found it amazing that I'll save money now that I've switched to TracFone. :)

The monthly rate itself on the prior plan I had with a local carrier wasn't bad, but calls made during the day on that plan were 40 cents per minute! :rant:

16. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :banghead: BASH! BASH!

17. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There is a web site called Planet Feedback, where consumers can post complaints, compliments, and suggestions to companies that participate on their web site.

Not surprisingly, the entire wireless industry (according to Planet Feedback ratings) isn't looked up on very favorably. Customer Service has the largest percentage of both complaints and compliments.

Surprisingly, TracFone is the highest rated (B+ as of this writing) out of all of the wireless companies listed there.

See this page for their wireless industry ratings, and this page on how they get their ratings.

FWIW, in the Boston area, I have noticed the Nokia 1221 (TDMA) TracFones have been removed from some stores that carried it (Target and Staples) and it's been replaced with the Nokia 1100 (GSM).

18. kilo

kilo New Member

My Phone:
    Ericsson A1228d
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless; TracFone
    TracFone has had TERRIBLE customer service in my experience, (much much worse than Cingular, and my coworkers tick me off on a day-to-day basis)
    But their product works great for me.
    You CAN get ringtones download to a TracFone, I've got Mission Impossible and Next Episode, your problem is that you can't download ringtones to that Analog Nokia 252 you've got there.

19. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You must be kidding!!

There is something worse than the three Cingular customer service reps. who all muttered "uhhh..." last night, when I tried to get a question answered??? :biggrin:

Fortunately for me, I've only had to call TracFone customer service a couple of times, once to reprogram a phone so it could get have a phone number more local, and to transfer remaining units from one phone to another. But I check Planet Feedback on occasion to see how all the wireless companies rank with their visitors.

20. publicenema

publicenema New Member

Even compared to Tracfone's double minute autopay plans doesn't ATT GoPhone make more sense? Especially when you can purchase a refurbished GSM phone relatively cheaply and unlimited nights and weekends can be included with some plans...just a thought.

I have GoPhone and Sprint plans now.

21. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone's customer service (based on my own experience calling them) has improved quite a bit lately.

22. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have 2 friends who have TracFone and both Love what they have. :inlove:

23. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They continue to be the highest-rated wireless company listed at the Planet Feedback web site. :thumb:

24. RyRy

RyRy New Member

I read and heard from alot of people that complain about Tracfone. Its hard to deal with a person who hardly speaks your language when you have a problem with your phone. Lets face it though, Theres not one mobile company out there that doesn't have problems with phones,billing,etc.....
    nothing is perfect. I like prepaid because sometimes I use my phone alot, and sometimes I'm hiking the Pacific Crest Trail for weeks. I control my minutes and they don't go away. Well they don't go away with my tracfone anyway. Seems like most prepaid carriers erase your minutes each month and out of the few that don't, most of them only let your minutes last 90 days. I buy a double minute year card and them I don't freakin worry about it. I think tracfone actually give you more options than most. Options you say? yeah: They offer Cdma, Tdma, Or Gsm phones. They use all the major carriers service because they don't have their own towers. If you use prepaid from any major carriers like verizon,cingular,tmobile, etc..., The phone may only work on their towers,and if it does roam, it costs and arm and a leg! My phone, so far, has worked on verizon,cingular(analog),and UScellular. The promotions tracfone offers are beyond any other carrier. When I purchased my phone, the sales guy told me if I emailed a request to somebody at this address tracfonereferral@hotmail, and asked for a referral right away, I would get 100 minutes for my phone, free. It worked. how cool is that. If I lived on my cell, I would get a contract, for sure. I don't live on my cell phone and I hate paying forty bucks or more every month regardless of how much I use my phone. I'm thinking about getting the nokia 1100 gsm tracfone next. I works on both cingular and tmobile, and has no roaming charges anywhere in the country you go. I saw it a walmart for 34.94. If it sucks, I'll just take it back and if its good, 35 bucks is dirt cheap! ok ive spent way to much time on this. hope this properly informs someone. ;)

25. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I've used all three types of TracFones: CDMA, GSM, TDMA.

Out of these, I believe CDMA is the best. It has the best geographical roaming coverage out of the three. And yes, it worked in the mountains of northern New England. :)

26. grumpygal

grumpygal New Member

Tracfone - gotta love talking to someone you can barely understand when you call for help... I am new to their service...I ordered a phone online via their website...got the phone within 3 days...but when I went to plug it in to charge, it wouldn't display that it was charging...end result - faulty phone...
    Which started the nightmare of the slew of calls to customer service.
    Call #1 - notified them of my problem with the phone...they deactivated my minutes and somehow got disconnected from them...called back - was assured another phone would be shipped within 3 days...no case# given.
    Call #2 - 1 week later - No Phone - called to find out what the heck???
    Was told no notes or case was assigned. And that they would assign a case# to me - received a case# on this call and was told the phone would be shipped Overnight Express.
    Call #3 - 3-4 days later - Still no phone...Was told they were "having delays"
    Call #4 - now 2 weeks AFTER the 1st call on the phone - I FINALLY received my replacement phone!!! - Attempting to reactivate it was a pain...they stated the had NO record of my 118 remaining minutes. I went ballistic!!!
    After the agent placed me on hold 8 times...They offered me 70 minutes and the case was "going to be sent to investigations" (which would take 30 days - so they could 'review' what happened to my minutes) Not really happy with this...! But, 70 minutes are better than nothing....
    Word to those out there thinking about getting a Tracfone - My boyfriend has one and has not had a problem...but - if you EVER need to contact customer service be prepared to be able to almost be a translator...ugh!
    Just a heads up for those considering getting Tracfone....

27. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My mom has a CDMA tracfone. Everyone else has Cingular in our family has Cingular phones, mostly GSM, my brother in law still has a TDMA phone. Her tracphone has tawful coverage and call quality. All she cares is that it is cheap as she doesn't use her phone but maybe 30 mins/month.