Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

xv6700 transfer to a sim card

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ppcman60, Jan 13, 2010.

1. ppcman60

ppcman60 New Member

I currently have an xv6700 with Verizon. I wanted to upgrade to a Blackberry storm. Verizon told me that to get the package deal they offer on the storm I would have to agree to an e-mail and data package for an additional $30 a month. I did want to do that because I don't need a data and e-mail package. I do not use use data and e-mail on my xv6700 and therefore can't justify the expense. Verizon did tell me that if I bought my own phone then they would activate it with out the e-mail and data package. So I went and bought a used Blackberry storm. When I called Verizon to activate it I was told that I had to have the e-mail and data package and they wouldn't activate the phone otherwise. They said it was because all smart phones manufactured after November of 2008 are always Internet connected and therefore you're always using Verizon's bandwidth and therefore they have to charge you for it. I called Blackberry and they told me that what Verizon said was not true. The storm could be configured so as not to be always on the Internet. When I called Verizon back they admitted it but refused to set me up with a non-e-mail and data package anyway.
    My question is this. Is there a way to transfer my XV6700 Verizon connection information to a sim card using a sim card writer and my PC. The Blackberry storm has a sim card. I was told by Blackberry that if I unlock it then I can use it on any carrier if I had the sim card with the carriers information on it. I would like to just transfer my XV6700 info to the Blackberry and be done with it. So is there a way to do that.

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The short answer is no. Although the Storm has a SIM card, this is because it contains GSM frequencies on it. GSM providers use SIM cards. Verizon is CDMA and does not use SIM cards. The purpose of GSM included on a CDMA phone is for use around the world (even though the Storm carries GSM frequencies for US use on T-Mobile and AT&T, if unlocked.

The XV6700 does not have a SIM card, as it is CDMA only. Verizon has a few phones with GSM availability but that's it. Unless there's a way to get your XV6700 info onto your PC, with the ability to them move it to the Storm, this might be the only way to do what you're wanting.

I'm not sure if there's software out there allowing Windows Mobile to Blackberry file transfering capability. Maybe someone else in the know can chime in here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello and welcome to WA. Unfortunately Verizon gave you wrong information initially, they do not allow a Blackberry without a BB data plan on their system. I have been told that as soon as the ESN number is entered on the system, it recognizes it as a BB and will put the appropriate data plan on. If it makes you feel any better AT&T is the same way as well and so are probably other providers.

As to your question, I am not sure what you exactly you mean by "transfer my Verizon connection information". If you want the system to think that your Storm is a XV6700, then unfortunately their is no way to do that. The ESN number of each unit is hard coded and the units are recognized by that.

However, if you want to transfer your organizer data from the XV6700 to your Storm, then the BB Desktop Manager will do that through the "Device Switch Wizard".

Hope that helps a little. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ppcman60

ppcman60 New Member

Mobile Mike and Charlyee
    Thanks for your reply. I was told by Blackberry technical support, that if I unlock my storm, that I can get it to use the information on its enclosed some card. If I could get my connection information from my XP6700 transferred to a sim card then I could plug it into my storm and it should work. So the idea is that, somewhere on the XP6700 my connection information is stored. Since Verizon doesn't use a sim card, then it has to be somewhere on the phone in whatever nonvolatile memory is used on the phone to store that information when they activated it. Therefore there is got to be a way to get the info transferred to a sim card through the PC USB connection. Once that is done, I can unlock my Blackberry storm, plug in the sim card and I am there.
    The major cell phone companies getting together and all agreeing to require an e-mail and data package for all smart phones is nothing more than conspiracy and price-fixing and if isn't illegal it should be. It is a ripoff plain and simple.

5. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The SIM card is only for connecting to GSM. It doesn't handle the CDMA connection. Even if you could get the information onto a SIM, the Blackberry won't use the information on the SIM to connect to a CDMA network.

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am afraid there is much misunderstanding going on here.

Unlocking the Storm will only allow it to be used with a GSM provider in this country like AT&T or T-Mobile, as Mike already explained.

I still do not understand what you mean by "connection information" exactly but my gut feeling is that you want to use the storm as if it was still the 6700 or in other words make Verizon's system think that you were still using the 6700. If this is so, it is not possible and even if it was, it would be illegal.

To me, there is no point in getting a Blackberry, and not be on one of the BB plans, since all you could on it then would be phone calls and text. I do agree with you that the data prices are steep and unfair, but there is no workaround with a BB or any other SmartPhone that you now get.

7. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Charlyee, from what I have read from ppcman60 posts, your logic is correct in what ppcman60 seems like he wants to accomplish.

Ppcman60, there is absolutely no way to get your "connection information" from your old phone to your new phone like everyone else has mentioned. Unfortunately the main carriers have adopted a mandatory $30/month data plan on Smartphone’s manufactured after a certain date. If you want to use a Smartphone, then you will have to use one prior to the cutoff date in order to avoid the mandatory $30/month data charge. Like Charlyee mentioned, though, you will not be able to fully enjoy all of the features of your BB since BBM, push email, etc requires a data plan.

8. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    A SIM card is the service connection point for GSM networks. The most it hold of any kind of info is contacts saved to it (for easy movement between GSM phones). The contact information it stores is rather limited (versus what you can do when saving contacts to a phone).

As everyone else who's chimed in here has said, you cannot do what you are trying to accomplish. You are not understanding what a SIM card is and what it does. Your Verizon service will not work when the SIM card service is selected on the Storm. You can't fool the system. The Storm's ESN number is what makes it work on Verizon. Nothing else. Verizon's system will recognize the Storm's ESN and automatically apply the data fee.

A SIM card does not operate the same as a memory card. It is far more limited and designed to something else entirely -> connect to a GSM network like T-Mobile or AT&T. That's it.