Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

XOHM is the new branding for WiMAX

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by SmArTeStChIlD421, Aug 23, 2007.

1. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so for those of you who didnt get RJB's avatar :)hmm:) Sprint has chosen to name the WiMAX brand XOHM pronounced "Zoam"

XOHM Wimax From Sprint will take you to the main page for all the updates on the movement but basically this is it (and i quote)

Sprint will be working with Clearwire to build a WiMAX network that they will share.......the two companies will exchange licenses between eachother to build one seamless WiMAX network the both sets of customers can roam on.....

there has even been suggestion that the federal government is a big supporter of this milestone because it allows them to be more mobile in the U.S. in times of crisis to access their own systems and mobile applications

sounds like Barney was right when he said working together gets things done faster........if these calculations are right Sprint should have most of their home network covered with WiMax by 2009

which we have established is XOHM

sounds pretty seamless..........but i wonder if Sprint will keep to sense that the new dual mode laptop cards will be programmed to choose WiMAX over cellular to free up traffic on the cellular network for handsets and the QChat application

looks like they have selected their key brands right there

this looks like either they are gonna make laptops with WiMAX capabilties built right in or new processors that will be less power hungry and more mobile to save battery power.......

so it looks like Samsung has the experience with building WiMAX networks......and Motorola is giving support.........so until iDEN is completely phased out Moto might make devices that will work on CDMA iDEN and WiMAX?

thats most of the details for now........the rest are on the XOHM website

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Hmm, guess I have to get used to "XOAM". Sounds like a funny name, but I'm guessing Sprint knows what it's doing...At least I hope they do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah..........its different...........but different seems to become more and more cool nowadays

4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I really don't like the name. Why can't they call it WiMAX?

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well they arent gonna call Direct Connect QChat are they.........they arent gonna call DirecTalk MOTOTalk are they?

they need to change the brand name to something less generic.................and XOHM is hip..........its different............and most of all its new.............because XOHM is the way people are gonna universally recognize WiMAX in the U.S...................i mean considering that Sprint and Clearwire are the only two comanies releasing commercial WiMAX and they are doing it together.............its important to have a brand beyond the technical name

which is why Sprint isnt gonna call Power Vision

CDMA2000 EV-DO Revision A :lmao:

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think this is going to be so neat when this comes out.

7. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    XOHM is also a strange combination of 4 letters. I guess calling it WiMAX wouldn't have been the best choice either, but then again you have WiFi so WiMAX could be associated with wireless high speed internet and data. Obviously that is about where the similarities end, but a name like XOHM is going to leave a few people thinking 'huh?'

Ask RJB said, XOHM is going to be great and I am as excited as anyone. I just think the name could have been better. I hope you are right. I hope people remember it and I hope people want to sign up for it.

You mentioned Direct Connect. I am glad the Direct Connect name is back. Walkie Talkie was a horrible name for the PTT feature.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.........and keeping that will make a ring that legacy Nextel customers can recognize............you know it may be completely different but the name is the same so it must be the same.............thats the thinking of many consumers...............and consumers also know how spotty WiFi can be when it comes to hotspots and that wouldnt be a good reputation to bring to WiMax.................the consumer community will recognize XOHM as something fresh that Sprint and only Sprint will deliver.............and the name has already been selected and there is no point in wondering why Sprint chose it but rather what good can come out of it

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    XOHM sounds like the call letters of a Mexican radio station...

Still got to get used to this name.

10. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Haha that's because it practically is one! Flip two letters (And say it the same way) XHOM!

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    now thats pretty cool..............but yeah the name will take some getting used to cuz it is pretty unique to say the least

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL wonder what the others will call their 4g?

13. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    ...And will we be able to pronounce it??? Let's hope it doesn't require an interpreter.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Lol........yeah but no doubt some others wont be nearly as innovative as Sprint................i mean for gods sake AT&T called their 3G video service "Cellular Video"............real freakin original :lmao: