Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Xiaomi MI Mix 3

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by palandri, Feb 24, 2019.

1. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    It's a slider phone which hides the front camera. Also has a dual SIM slot

A 5G version will be available in May for $679

https://www.mi.com/global/mix3/

JFB likes this.
  2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I just picked up the regular non-5G version a week ago. Sweet phone. I love the full screen display. As I almost never use the front camera, it is perfect for me to have it hidden away. It finally replaced by Nexus 5X. Paid $345 for it.

The reason I picked up the non-5G model is that it has some LTE bands that are not present in the 5G version. I think it was Band 17 iirc. It was definitely something that was important to me based on the coverage maps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Every time I read about 5G it gets more and more disappointing due to the use of mmWave. I keep seeing things like this:

mmWave relies on much faster airwaves to deliver much faster speeds, but the signal doesn’t travel very far and is easily blocked by almost anything in its path.

4. mrgrtt123

mrgrtt123 Member

I never had or owned a Xiaomi device but lately, I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews about their gadgets.

5. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    At $345, it was a no-brainer. Even the newer 5G version is only $375 or so. It would have cost me at least $600 or so for a OnePlus flagship. Forget about Apple or Samsung, etc. They were at least 2X what I paid.

Phone has wireless charging, NFC, pretty much every band I need, plus a full 6.4" screen with no cutouts, teardrops, bezels, etc.etc. The Mi UI was fine for me without too much annoying bloatware. There are a bunch of Mi apps that came on the phone but I stuck them all into a folder. They are not intrusive or nagging and some of them, like the scanner and the quick notes app are actually pretty good.

Is the phone as good as an Apple or Samsung flagship? No, but at the price point, I don't see any competition whatsoever.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  6. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    It's a nice phone at a great price Scrumhalf :)

Scrumhalf likes this.
  7. Riya Patel

Riya Patel New Member

Look at some features of this phone:

This phone runs on Android v8.1 Oreo operating system
    It has 6 GB RAM
    It has 128 GB ROM, which is Non Expandable
    The phone has 6.39 inches (16.23 cm)1080x2340 px, 403 PPI AMOLED wide display
    It has Octa core (2.8 GHz, Quad Core + 1.8 GHz, Quad core) Snapdragon 845 processor
    The headset comes with 12 MP + 12 MP Dual Primary Cameras Dual-color LED Flash 24 MP + 2 MP Dual Secondary Cameras
    This phone has 3200 mAh battery and quick charging 4.0
    It loaded with a fingerprint sensor
    It has Wireless Charging facility and many more features

8. mrgrtt123

mrgrtt123 Member

It seems like Chinese mobile manufacturer is stepping up their game. And it is way affordable than other smartphones.

palandri likes this.
  9. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    1 month review:

Phone is great! Very fast, great display. I was a bit skeptical about the MIUI but I have no problems. There isn't any significant bloatware and in general, some of the apps are actually decent.

I am not a big front camera user, so the slider actually works fine for me. It's an extra step when you have incoming Skype or Whatsapp video calls, and I have missed a few when I am fumbling to get it going and have to call them back, but other than that, it's not a problem.

All in all, I'm really happy with it. I would recommend that to anyone interested in flagship performance at a discount price.

dmapr and palandri like this.
  10. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    And just to add, online reviews were complaining about it only having a 3800mAh battery. It has worked fine for me. With moderate use all day, I rarely dip below 40% at the end of the day. And the wireless charging is great.

Also, quiescent current draw seems to be negligible. I have left the phone unused for half a day and the battery percentage has dropped by no more than 1 or 2%. This seems to be quite a bit better than other Android phones I have used (don't know how this compares to iPhone), but maybe Qualcomm has really tweaked the 845 chipset to have very low standby current draw and Xiaomi has done a good job of optimizing their UI's power management.

The only issue so far has been that I picked up a Fitbit versa 2 smartwatch but could not get it to display incoming messages. The problem is with the Fitbit and I ended up returning it, but one problem may be that third party testing may not be comprehensive enough for these "unusual" brands and could have some weird results occasionally, although Xiaomi is a huge brand in China and India and Fitbit really has no good excuse.

#10 Scrumhalf, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    dmapr likes this.
  11. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Google Nexus 5X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Another nice feature that I have been enjoying (and this may be available on other phones too since I am coming from a rather old Nexus 5X), is the dedicated screenshot radio button. When you swipe down from the top to get the setup quick menu to turn wifi on/off, put phone into airplane mode, etc., you also have a button to take a screenshot. Makes it much more convenient than pressing home and volume down simultaneously while muttering incantations and spinning around on your left foot, or whatever else the older phones made us do.

dmapr likes this.
  12. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think Android 10 added that into the power menu as well. Hold the power button and one of the options you'll see is a screenshot.

palandri and Scrumhalf like this.