Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WTF $400 deposit!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ShuttleX, Aug 7, 2003.

1. ShuttleX

ShuttleX New Member

What's up with Verizon? Is a $400 deposit really needed? I want/NEED a cell phone but there is no way I can put $400 down to get it. Are all wireless services like this? Which one has the lowest deposit for someone with no credit?

Also if I get a credit card will I avoid the deposit thing?

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    getting a credit card will help you build credit but not over night.

400 is not uncommon.

sprint has the lowest deposits, i think you can do 125...

other than that, youll usually run into 400 or sometimes even more

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC

No. Credit takes time to build. Most carriers except Sprint will want at least 250-500 for someone with no credit, even more with bad credit (especially if there are chargeoffs from wireless companies). have seen some people get a 1000 dollar deposit on verizon. what a way of saying "we don't want your business...DEADBEAT". can't blame em either. celphones are usually the LAST bills to get paid on.

I say try Sprint. Best bet your deposit will only be 125, which is dirt cheap. you get it back after a year of GOOD ONTIME PAYMENTS (DO NOT BE LATE) with simple interest, and your account will usually become UNSECURED meaning you are off the spending limit. and you have your credit started too, Sprint reports as well. Just remember that, if you do pay a deposit, it does NOT mean you can just not pay your bill until they turn it off! this will turn your NO CREDIT into BAD CREDIT. if you don't think you can afford to pay for the phone, then hold off until you can or get a pre-paid phone. trust me, trash your credit now and it will take YEARS to clear up.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Think $400 is ridiculous? Try Nextel!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    haha ive seen verizon get up to 1500 !

6. Gish

Gish New Member

I was surprised about my Nextel deposit. I knew I was going to have to pay one, but it was only $200. I know, $200 is still a lot. I was just surprised because I am a 20 year old, with very little credit.

7. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Little credit is still better than no credit/bad credit.

I had to leave a $200 deposit with BAM when I first got my phone 7 or so tears (I mean years[​IMG] )ago, but I screwed up mine with some late payments...

8. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Geez, a $400 deposit??? Now wonder the carriers (errrr, stockholders)
    always complain about subscriber numbers.

Maybe they need to get in bed with the credit card companies, and have VISA/MC applications on hand
    at the retail stores.

9. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    $1000 is the max deposit for VZW in my area... basically:

$125 - slow credit history
    $400 - no credit history
    $1000 - bad credit history

10. fpo220873

fpo220873 New Member

When I moved to the states last July I started with Tracfone prepaid. Three month later I signed up with Sprint and had to pay no deposit at all :) At this time I had no credit history.

Recently I switched to AT&T's GSM go! Plan which is 40$ a month incl. 400 anytime and unlimited N&W minutes. I bought a Dual-Sim Card adapter for my Nokia 6310i - now all I have to do if I travel to Germany is that I have to switch from my US AT&T SIM to my german E-Plus SIM. Definitely more convenient than travelling with two phones (Spring & GSM).

GSM voice quality is better, but in some areas AT&T GSM coverage is not as good as Sprint PCS.

Frank

11. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ShuttleX if you really need a cell phone and have little or no credit I recommend Go Phone from AT&T Wireless.

AT&T Wireless Go Phone

12. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, deposits are kind of ridiculous for people with no credit. I understand them but they still seem kind of big sometimes. Bankruptcy, that's when you get into insanely large deposits.

13. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

ATT's goPhones are a great system. You get 400min for $40 and there are no overage fees. It simply starts a new billing cycle whenever you reach your limit or 30 days whichever comes first. So, if you use 400min in your first 15 days, fear not. You will just start a new billing cycle rather than paying outrageous overage charges.

Sprint's deposits are much lower. I have a few friends that had to put $150 down.

14. michiganeric

michiganeric Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E105
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (formerly VZW and Nextel)
    My Nextel account is going away about a week into January. Out of curiousity, do you think there'll be a big hassle about getting my $200 deposit back? Do they send you a check or credit your account? (I'd assume that since I won't be renewing my contract, they're smart enough to figure out that I don't want to use that $200 toward a new iDEN phone...) I always pay my bills on time and I'm assuming my credit's really good. When I got TMo on Friday, they said I didn't have to pay a deposit and I was good to go for up to five phones.

But a THOUSAND DOLLAR DEPOSIT for Verizon service if you have bad credit... yeesh!

15. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    I think Nextel's is the toughest when it comes to deposits, from what I here. [​IMG]

16. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    yes they certainly are...nextel has by far the strictest credit requirements

17. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Congratulations on getting rid of Nextel, Michiganeric, I've heard they have horrible customer service and horrible coverage. I hope that T-Mobile works out better for you.