Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WSJ: Telcom Industry Consolidation Graphic

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by M in LA, Mar 29, 2011.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  2. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Two companies omitted in the graphic:

Cincinnati Bell and Southern New England Telephone were the only two companies in the old Bell System that were owned independently of AT&T (AT&T held only minority interests in these two companies); therefore, neither was considered a Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC). AT&T held 27.8% interest in Cincinnati Bell before 1984. In 1998, SNET was bought by SBC, an RBOC, but Cincinnati Bell has remained independent.

SNET provided wireline and wireless telephone service in the state of Connecticut untill 1998 when it was bought by SBC which eventually became AT&T.

Cincinnati & Suburban Bell (which was shortened to Cincinnati Bell) had exclusive rights to the Bell franchise within a 25-mile (40-km) radius of Cincinnati. It provides wireline and wireless service in Cincinnati and parts of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

3. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    They omitted New England Telephone, as well. They served all of New England, except Conneticut, and then merged with New York Telephone (forget if that was the exact name), to form the NYNEX (New York New England Exchange) that is listed.

4. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    If it was part of what formed NYNEX, then it is included, since they started this graph from the point of the AT&T divestitures in 1984, as the new "baby bells" were formed from many local companies that made up old AT&T.

As rjniles pointed out, they left out the two smaller parts of the Bell System that did not become baby bells, SNET (Southern New England Telephone) and Cincinnati Bell. SNET being the provider in Connecticut.

Several comments on the article from the source WSJ site pointed out the omission of SNET and Cincy Bell. Their inclusion might have added more confusion to an already complex time line. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Is it me, or do people miss the company that was acquired? In my case when CenturyTel took over Embarq, everything went down. My heart goes out to the Qwest folks out west. Also, folks I know who had BellSouth aren't so fond of AT&T... kinda sad to see the HQ move from Atlanta to Dallas... at least the wireless division (of the vestiges thereof) is in Atlanta.

Or when Alltel was bought by Verizon, lots of folks missed them.

Oh well, that's life.

6. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I'm so glad I got away from Qworst 10 years ago. If Qwest was bad then it's likely to be worse than ever under CenturyLink. Service also went down the terlet when FairPoint took over from Verizon in the northern New England states of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Joe Nacchio who gloated about Qwest taking USWest is now serving 6 years in jail for his financial shenanigans with the books on of USWest

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It was bad under USWest, even worse under Qwest, so it's scary to think how much more of a nightmare it will be with CenturyLink...

(Never lived in USWest/Qwest/CL territory, but am well aware of their poor service from unfortunate relatives who do).