Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Would U pay ETF for free phone w/new carrier?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by CRC, Sep 21, 2008.

1. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Currently w/T-Mobile under contract for another year and a half. Family and friends mostly on Verizon now. Was with Verizon 3-4 years ago...so I walked into the VZW store recently and asked as a former VZW customer who's still under contract with another carrier, could they help me out a bit with the purchase of a new phone since I have to pay a $200 ETF with T-Mobile. Verizon offered me a free Blackberry Pearl, Palm Centro, or Blitz to come back. Good deal? Just wondering cost wise if you think it balances out.

Main reason for this is 81 year old Aunt currently on VZW (no landline) and Cousin (who helps take care of her, also VZW customer, no landline)...I would like to keep in more contact with them during the day due to Aunt's health, but they are always concerned about their peak minute usage since I'm calling them from a T-Mobile phone. While I have them on "My Faves", that doesn't help them. Always feel calls are cut short due to them worrying about going over. Used to call Aunt after 9pm on weekday's, but now she goes to bed earlier. Yes, they could up their monthly minutes, but that would be at a cost to my Aunt. So for that, thinking of switching back to Verizon...added with more friends and family recently jumping on to VZW.

So, would you do it? Basically happy with T-Mobile and their customer service. Had some customer service issues prior with Verizon...but that was 3-4 years ago. Hope I'm not making a mistake by going back.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. liagb59

liagb59 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Katana II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It all depends on what those phones are worth if you had to buy them..maybe they can give you a great plan too at a cheaper rate or some extra added bonuses it might move me to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Before you think about M2M, you need to find out if Verizon's coverage is equal or better then T-Mobile's. I would want to recieve a important call no matter the cost of it. Also is price of the plan right for your budget.

4. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Verizon's coverage here in the Bay Area of CA is fine...my roommate has Verizon and his coverage is good here. I left a few years ago due to cost and customer service issues at the time. I'll have to compare the 2 plans side by side to see if it's much of a difference now and affordable.

Thanks again!
    Chris

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi Chris, the Pearl is $79.99 and the Centro is $99.99 with two year contracts; so it doesn't exactly pay for your ETF but it is something. I personally don't think you can evaluate this by cost, if the coverage is good as you say and m2m is necessary then I would suggest go for it. :)

Hope this helps.

6. liagb59

liagb59 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Katana II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I would say go with what your needs are and what fits your wallet at the time, you can sell your old phones on Ebay and maybe make some of your Money back..

7. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now I know why they call it "CrackBerry"...

...because I'm hooked!! :rolleyes: :loony: :D I really like this thing! It has one of the best calendar set up and reminders that I've had on a phone, which is important to me. Plus I like the e-mail push.

I'm going to try it for 3-weeks and put my contract & T-Mobile phone (which I'll give someone for free if they'll take over the contract) on Craigslist to see if someone will take over the remaining year and a half. If not, then I'll either give the BlackBerry back to Verizon, cancel the contract and go back to T-Mobile...or bite the bullet and pay the ETF with T-Mobile. Even if I go back to T-Mobile, I'll have to get another BlackBerry! Or maybe that "Google" Android phone?

The only thing my roommate was reminding me of is that I would lose my "world roaming", but then I only go to Europe once a year.

OH WELL...what to do! :headscrat

8. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    Re: Now I know why they call it "CrackBerry"...

Other options:

1. Get a prepaid on Verizon...
    2. Are they willing to come to t-mobile?
    3. Can one of them add a line on a family plan? Not that much extra and it would get you free mobile to mobile? You could even have it as a second phone until your t-mobile contract runs out...

9. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks fb. I'll look into #1, but would mean extra money out of pocket. #2 & #3 out of the question, for Aunt/Cousin like Verizon and T-Mobile doesn't have a strong footprint in their area of CA. But thanks for suggesting it!

Chris

10. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    No problem, anytime. Just curious, though, why would Prepaid work but not adding a line on their plan? You could pick up the extra cost of an additional line (would be even less than a prepaid account would cost you). I am sure Verizon would convert their plan to a family plan. If you combine your cousin an aunt onto a family plan and include you, might even save money for them...

Hope it works out for you.

fb

11. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    From what I have seen, but thank God not my experience, sharing a plan with anyone other than your legal spouse is a great way to mess up a relationship! I wouldn't even take a family line from my dad when he asked! He eventually gave it to my two year old daughter and I told him I would not be responsible for any of the charges and it sat on our kitchen counter, and came off the charger to talk to my dad ONLY!!! He eventually took it back when he got MyFavs.

Hate to rain on your parade, but I have seen problems happen several times. I think breaking contract or impulse prepaid would be the safest option.of us do.

12. liagb59

liagb59 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Katana II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Inpulse pre-paid is good, my son-in-law has it that is all he can afford and he uses it for everything he needs...