Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Worth signing ATT TDMA at this point??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by rgreen511, Mar 24, 2003.

1. rgreen511

rgreen511 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG AX8600 Blue
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I think i've decided to get a free 3360 phone, and get ATT TDMA coverage, since GSM isn't available in my hometown yet. Is it worth signing a year contract for TDMA if it's going to be phased out very soon? Anyone know how long it truly will be for GSM to get to somewhat rural areas? Also, anyone think that the 3360 isn't up to par, and I should go for something else? I was looking at the two extremes, paying 99 for a VX4400 and 2 year Verizon contract, though i don't have a trade in, and then looking at this. Any last minute advice/warnings/whatever?? Thanks.

2. t720

t720 Senior Member

Well, since GSM will probably be up in your area in the next year, or possibly less time, why didn't you consider the Siemens S46? This phone enables you to be on GSM or TDMA, and it's a free phone also, believe it or not. Either that, or go with the 49.99 Nokia 8265 which holds onto a signal a LOT better. Just my advice [​IMG]

3. t720

t720 Senior Member

Oh yes...and please...USE the trial periods! They are the most helpful thing in the world. If you don't like the coverage, just return the phone! [​IMG]

4. jediknight

jediknight Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    if you decide to go with verizon or any other carrier, DO NOT sign up for 2 years, always go for one year contract.

5. rgreen511

rgreen511 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG AX8600 Blue
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I dunno, I don't particularly care for the 8265's looks, I hate those stupidly shaped buttons. Maybe I'm picky. I know a lot of other people with 3360s too that haven't had any problems. My town is rural, but not incredibly rural, just not a city, so we're lacking in full, good GSM coverage, although they say it's there, just really spotty. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll definitely use the trial period. Can it still be used if I order online?? Thanks.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    AT&T will still be supporting TDMA for years to come. You should be fine with getting a TDMA phone now. I also recommend the Nokia 8265 as its a better phone then the Nokia 3360 and has much better RF.

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've had a 3360 for about a year and my only complaints are the battery life and the hard to press buttons. Some people have had problems with it freezing, but I've only had that happen twice in a year. I will still keep my TDMA service for an extra year or so until GSM becomes worth going for. I always think that my phone should work at least 98% of the places I go and that's what TDMA has been doing for me in the last 5 years with Cingular. I can't complain about the signal on the 3360 as it is better than the older Nokias (5160, 6160, etc.) at least in my experience. Don't be afraid to get TDMA now. It is supposed to be working for the next 3 to 4 years with slow, gradual shutdown beginning about 2006 thru 2008.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

Plus, they may let you upgrade to a GSM phone while you are in your contract (just to add to bobo's comments). I remember hearing that wCDMA and 1xEV-DO/DV were right around the corner. Of course, that was years ago. Get what you like now and don't worry about what might be coming out. It is likely that ATT will let you upgrade when GSM comes to town because it is so much more efficient (and therefore saves them money) and even if they don't you'll probably have only a couple of months left on your contract by the time it gets there anyway. The upgrade is more adventagious in urban areas because they have more people and more calls on the network so the increased ifficiency is much more important there.

Oh, check out the updated GSM coverage map for ATT at http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi/imap_gsminfo.pl5?cou=us&net=at&frame=middle
    The maps for Cingular and T-Mobile haven't been updated yet, but should be within a week or so. There might not be a big difference in T-Mo's map, but Cingular has activated a lot of new markets since November.

9. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    If u can get the 8265 for free, grab it. ATT will let u migrate to GSM at any time and move the contract to the new system. That is the only way out of a TDMA contract without paying a termination fee.
    The 8265 is the best TDMA phone out there. The ususal good Nokia menus and an excellent antenna. The phone works where other TDMA's dont.

10. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    The 6360 has more features than the 8265, an easier to read screen, and as good or better RF performance. If you don't like the 8260, go for the 6360, it's usually the same price.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. t720

t720 Senior Member

It's so BIG though...what a pain to carry around...aren't phones supposed to be mobile?

LOL

12. rgreen511

rgreen511 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG AX8600 Blue
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I agree, it is really big. I'm looking more for a phone the size of the 8265, or possibly a flip phone. I'm looking really hard at the 8265, and will probably make it my choice. Thanks to everyone.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    And don't worry, TDMA won't be phased out until at least 2007.

14. rgreen511

rgreen511 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG AX8600 Blue
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The 8265 is only 49.99 from the ATT web site, but is nearly full price almost everywhere else. Should I be hesitant about buying it directly from ATT, and should I go to an actual store, or should I go ahead and order it from the web site? I go to PSU, and the guy in the booth in our bookstore said I should get it from a store. On the other hand, he also tried to shove GSM down my throat. Also, I'm considering the national plan, which doesn't cover the northern part of PA, vs. the Local plan, which covers all of PA and some of Ohio, Maryland, and WV. I'd rather be able to use my phone if I go to some city for vacation, than have Ohio and WV, which I don't plan on going to, but the lack of full PA coverage concerns me. I realize that there is no coverage of any kind in some places, so the local map is somewhat exaggerated. Any further help is appreciated, and sorry for the endless questions. Just don't want to regret my decision. Thanks.