Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Worlcom victim - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kannanraja, Sep 10, 2002.

1. kannanraja

kannanraja New Member

Hello,
    I got an offer for cell phone service from Worldcom wireless and signed up in Nov 2001. Subsequently I had to cancel the service because they could not even provide a cell phone number which works (after three tries). I returned phone and all the accessories in original form.
    EVen after receiving everything they keep writing to me asking for early termination fees. The funny thing is they kept charging me for several months for monthly service fee as well as early termination fee. Everytime I call them I have to wait a minimum of 30 minutes and some times waited 1.5hours!!!!
    Worldcom's customer service is the worst bunch I saw in my life. Totally irresponsible and dumb fellows.
    Can anyone provide me adice on what to do with these guys???? I think it is unfair for Worlcom to ask for any charges while they provided no service at all but causing this agony.

Appreciate any help.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Worldcom is still calling? They claimed bankruptcy at least a month ago, and shut down their cell division at least 2.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I thought that they were finally gone?

Are you still getting bills from them?

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kannanraja

kannanraja New Member

They are not gone yet unfortunately. I think they are desperate to grab money from where possible!!
    I spoke to someone in their collections department and stopped the bill from coming for past three months. But the matter is not over because they still claim I owe them money....

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry! But you're not alone.

See here

6. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

Did you call your local Public Utiliities Commission, i would file a complain. You could also call Worldcom, and ask them to send you a copy of your bill, and claim services not rendered. This is one of the reasons i use visa for everything. When earthlink charged me for dsl that wasnt installed, Visa removed the charges immediately simply because of their reputation.

7. kannanraja

kannanraja New Member

I filed a complaint with PA Attorney general's Consumer Protection office, BBB, FTC etc.,
    Actually I NEVER could use the phone. So there was no charge to pay. All the monthly access fee was removed after zillions of calls I made to Worldcom's customer service. Now the only thing pending is the "Early Termination Charge".
    I do have all the Bills explainig the charges - which interestingly include Monthly access several months after the phone was returned and I cancelled the services!!!

8. emag0rad

emag0rad Senior Member

Business lesson: A company that declares bankruptcy, does not mean it stops business operations - it means they are restructuring their debt and financial structures.

9. emag0rad

emag0rad Senior Member

Get in touch with Cingular, I believe that Cingular took over Worldcom's wireless customers.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

WorldCom NEVER had their own cell sites. They simply resold others.

When they exited the business a few months ago, they simply turned the accounts over to whichever carrier they resold it for. So our poster here should go to whoever was actually providing service. I would bet Verizon in the NorthEast, but he never said. Its also not clear if he has any service at the moment.

As someone else said, WorldCom may be bankrupt, but they're not gone. Indeed, they have doubtless turned over all of their receivables to collection -- which they are required to do by the bankruptcy court. I doubt that filing any formal complaints with regulators will do anything. Bankruptcy superceded all such claims. There is absolutely nothing they can do to punish WorldCom for any past infraction. That is the glory of bankruptcy -- whatever emerges is an entirely different company free of any sins the predecessor may have committed. If he has any recourse, it is to the bankruptcy court.

As was said on several other threads on WA, our poster is just one of several hundred thousands of 'stuckees' screwed by WorldCom. He may just have to live with it.

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It depends where you are - They also resold AT&T and Verizon IIRC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    They even did sprint pcs

Jack

13. kannanraja

kannanraja New Member

I think lot of you try to help me out. Since many of you questioned lert me answer:
    - I NEVER was able to use the service and that is the reason I cancelled the services. I returned all the crap and for some strange STUPID reasons Worldcom kept billing me for Early termination fee as well as monthly access. After a long struggle I got all the monthly access charges cancelled. The only thing still stuck is the Early termination fee.
    My initial reaction when I got the call from a collection agency was to sue Worldcom. But I don't want to jump into another nightmare to avoid one.
    But I may take that route. I am evealuating my options. Do you folks klnow any class action suite or something like that where I can join? I know it is mostly for the stock holders but since Worldcom screwed up many folks, it may be effective to file a joint suite than filing individual complaints.

14. dreemkill

dreemkill New Member

i work for mci worldcom (mci portion)
    we got notice of cancelling the cellular division in about...may i think...maybe june. no big loss, its a joke anyway - they resell other services, with poor plans. i had a worldcom wireless phone for awhile because a friend of mine was a dealer back in NC...so i got one from him..it was sprint pcs service...when i moved to ny (subsequently becoming employed by mci) i got no service past the PA border. i called to have a different provider or something, and they tried to give me 2 different carriers, both plans were worse than the sprint plan (which was also horrible) and they werent able to get me an ani....er..phone number for *ANY* carrier around here. not AT&T, or Cingular...they first offered me ATT, i became irritable on the phone when the customer service drone told me of the horrible downgrade of plan, and i told her "ill think about it." and hung up with her....tried to someone else later, and they were like 'oh, well i think i can get you cingular, but you'll have to call back tomorrow, because the dept that gives out numbers ("precon" iirc) is closed till monday' so i call back monday, "er...um...i dont see that i can get you ANY carriers in your area....." i argued, "well, than what are we going to do about this? you cannot provide me a service, and are now going to try to charge me a cancellation fee, due to your inconsitancies?" she muttered: "err..well...let me ask my supervisor what can be done........" she came back moments later, and told me "well, i was told that i can cancel the account without charging the cancellation fee.." i agreed (yay! im out!) only to find a month later, a bill for like, 200 dollars. back to the phone i went........i told her "i was told there would be no cancellation fee, because you cannot provide a service." she said something about "well, if you cancel anytime before the contract...um....they charge that fee...." i told her i had spoken to someone about it already, she finally managed to see a note about the credit being issued, she then put the credit through and i was done with them. good riddance.
    you think the CS reps are bad? try having to work with the morons on a daily basis. just thursday i spoke with a girl (who obviously didnt know what she was talking about) who told me one thing (that i knew from previous experience wasnt correct) only to call back as soon as i got off the phone w/ her, to be told something totally different (and correct) by someone else. amazing isnt it.

15. dreemkill

dreemkill New Member

YAY! a fellow educated person!
    you know how tired i get of hearing "weel, y'all are gowin bankrupt any dayum way.......i aint payin no beel......" 10 times a day by some uneducated f*ckwhit?

i work in a fraud/risk prevention department for MCI.

Chapter 11 doesn't mean the company is dead. it means they are PROTECTED FROM CREDITORS while they revamp their business structure.

(just for fun, the building i work in (which also houses the largest collections dept of mci) as well as some high-bill payments from my department (rare, being its not a collections based dept) collected about a quarter million last month. the crook left about 7 million in unpaid dept if i remember correctly)
    at that rate, im guessing about a year and things are back to normal, without an idiot CEO running it.

all in all, yes, ofcourse you'll get bills. and if you dont pay them, they go to a collection agency, and mci is paid either way - only difference is, take the OCA route, and you have creditors calling all morning, and screwed up credit [​IMG]

16. kannanraja

kannanraja New Member

May be I have difficulty following this well (MCI) educated individual.
    After going through all the details I gave, you are telling me MCI is right?

I think it is run by stupid and useless from top to bottom who don't try to understand the issue and try to milk any gain out of it. In a gentle term it can be termed corporate begging and fraud.

I never came across a business which tries to charge some one for the fault of their's, without giving any service and interestingly justifying it. Do you guys get any special training or what? In fact Worldcom is the one who invited me and told they'll provide the service. Never provided any service.

Starting from the customer service all the way up to the CEO everyone in the whole company is toltally made of completely crooked and mean guys I feel.