Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Working on old tower today....NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by bobolito, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This was this morning on the tower on Grand St and New St in Paterson, NJ. You can see this tower from Rt. 80 as you pass by Garret Mountain. The upper set of panels are Sprint and the lower set is Cingular/T-Mobile. They replaced the Cingular/T-Mobile panels with new ones. I have to check if there's any more than zero bars in my house now, but I doubt it. I can only get a weak signal from this tower outside of my house. Inside, I get no service. I just wonder if I'll ever see the day when a Cingular/T-Mobile tower is installed in this vicinity since all other carriers have one already.

By the way, I wonder what the signal strength is for those guys working on that tower.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pipeman

Pipeman Member

[​IMG]Now we're calling old smokestacks TOWERS? I see desperation beginning to set in. What's next, old clothesline poles?

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't think the signal strength would be very good at all for those working on the tower, I imagine they would be under the "signal bubble" (that's a technical term) and not able to receive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Really?....in that case, why the concern about radiation, dizzyness, etc.?

5. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hmmm... I think there is still a lot of electric/magnetic field action going on in the immediate area, but I've taken calls from people who live really close to towers and our technical support department (I'm a CSR) has stated that they may be too close to get a proper signal. I don't know the ins and outs of the whole deal, so I'll just go with my old standby of Government Black Helicopter Conspiracy.

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

The signal bubble (umbrella effect) thing is mostly a myth. You should be able to receive a full signal even directly under a tower. There's more than enough spillover signal from a tower that travels downward. I've never once had anything less than a full 4 bars on my phone when standing right at the base of a tower.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

8. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    ... Perhaps I'm just "Splitting Hairs", but isn't it incorrect to call any of the sites in this area "Cingular's" , since they simply roam off "T-Mobile" cell sites around here, & don't actuall own any of T-Mobile??
    Kind of like calling a Verizon site an "Alltel", or "US Cellular" site here in NJ/NYC......??

9. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Not really. They are technically on a shared network, not one owned by Tmobile

10. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    <B>bobolito, is this the stack by Rt. 19? i go to St. Joes hosp. some times and this looks like the one. I do have a strong signal with AT&T in this area so i doubt it's their panels unless they are adding more. And i like the guy with the sign, he is correct and yes it's scarry. LOL</B>

11. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel

The AT&T store at the mall here has a GSM microcell (not repeater) inside the store. I found the circular panel in the drop ceiling and held my phone up to it. I was reading a -18 dBm. So I'd bet those guys on the tower were getting single digits. [​IMG]

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It is definitely not Cingular's, to my dissapointment. Cingular panels have junction boxes which are the pair of small boxes you see beneath the panels. They might be Nextel's....not sure.

Since T-Mobile and Cingular share the network here, you can call them T-Mobile towers or Cingular towers. Whatever you want. Sometimes I call them T-Mobile/Cingular towers, but just for the heck of saving keystrokes, I just mention one name or the other depending on which carrier I am referring to.

Yes, that is the smokestack by Rt. 19.

By the way, my brother's T-Mobile phone still has the same poor signal strength so he has to stand by his room window or go outside to use the phone. I don't know how he can put up with such bad service for so long. So, I wonder what the panel change was all about. They just need a new tower closeby.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Bobo,

Cingular/T-Mobile has changed out all of their panels on each tower here as well. I don't know why they are doing it but I'm sure it has something to do with the network sharing agreement. I noticed that the new panels are usually longer. Maybe they need longer panels now to accomadate both carriers.

14. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Some panels are longer than others. (said in a thick Scottish accent a'la Braveheart.)

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't know why they would need to change panels to accomodate both carriers since they are using the same spectrum and base stations. If anything, I would expect them to add panels to the sites that have 2 panels per sector. However, I have not seen that happen. But anyway, the new panels in this smokestack are simply fatter not longer than the old ones. I have a picture of the old ones but I have to look around to find it. By the way, the new panels you see in the picture above are white. However, a couple of days ago, they painted them brown.

16. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Brown? It doesn't seem like that would look good. Does it look okay?

17. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    ... Perhaps these new Thicker panels have more/less directional Gain. This would require a different internal element array & may account for the difference.....

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah I'm not sure why the larger panels either but ever since the Cingular/T-Mobile deal, Cingular has gone around and changed all of their panels at every site here in CA to larger ones. Maybe it has something to do with T-Mobile and maybe it doesn't. Maybe it's just routine maintenance to change out panels every so often when the become old and it was just a coincidence that they started doing it right after the T-Mobile deal.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, it's brick red actually which is the same color the old panels were. Look at the Sprint panels in the picture I posted. The new panels are now the same color as the Sprint panels.