Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Working in a call center for a wireless comapny?

Discussion in 'Working or Investing in the Wireless Industry' started by DarkKnight, May 15, 2005.

1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hey guys I just wanted to get your thoughts on working in a call center for a wireless company. Is this a bad job? Meaning you work crazy hours? and have unrealistic expectations put on you has a CS rep. Is this type of CS job any worse then working in computer tech support I did that for 3 years. I really didn’t find it to be that bad most days. If anyone could offer there thoughts and impressions it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Darkknight

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I have a close friend working for one...she hates it, mainly because she thinks it's below her.

I guess it takes a certain attitude to be able to do that job day in and day out.

There are lots of people I work with every day that love working in the call center and wouldn't want to do anything else.

It's all about your personal situation and people skills.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks allot WirelessBeachBum and you are correct working in that type of environment has allot to do with mind set and being thick skinned some days

4. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I've trained call center reps on products in the past, and took some call center classes in my early days in wireless. The horror stories I heard then made me never want to work in a call center. Customers abusing you verbaly or even using the rest room while on the phone with you, yelling at their children etc.

Then you have supervisors breathing down your neck to make production quota's, or certain que times....I'll stick to sales where the only thing that really matters is your quota, and not getting customer complaints.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the heads up :eek: and que times and quotas did suck, but I recived good incentives to make or exceeded the quota's :)

6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The call center I work at is great. They designed it from the ground up and we have a whole wall of windows and skylights so it's nice and sunny. We've got two large lunchrooms and a back patio with picnic tables. Our "workstations" (read: cublicles) have short walls so you get a lot of light and you can stand up and talk with your neighbors if we aren't busy. They let you pretty much put up whatever you want on the walls so you can personalize them a lot, make coming to work easier if I know I've got my Bob & Doug MacKenzie, Mario Lemieux and Hanson Bros. toys waiting to welcome me every day. The dress code is a pretty lax "business casual" and they don't care if you have tattoos or piercings (I have both.) They just did away with measuring us by our after call work time and call time and have focused more on whether or not we're taking calls when we need to be and how we actually take the calls, (ie, are we connected to the customer, sympathetic to their needs, etc.) I also get measured on my customer save % since I'm in the retention department. CellularONE-Western Wireless is an outstanding company to work for and they really care about their customers and employees. I hear that Alltel is pretty much the same way so it should be great to work for them, too.

It is true that you have to have a certain disposition to work in a call center, especially in the retention department. I have to deal with a lot of upset people every day and if I didn't have thick skin, I think it would start to get to me after a while. I don't love my job but I do like it a lot. It's nice when we're not busy and I get to dork out on sites like Wireless Advisor and PhoneScoop... and to think, I always swore I'd never get a cell phone. Look at me now!

7. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks allot for your insight rancidhooligan that sounds just like the place I used to work at. :) The job I am considering applying for is with Cingular Wireless. I am looking for a career and not just a job.

Thanks Again

DK

8. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No problem... where in Colorado does Cingular have a call center?

9. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Northern in the Greeley area it is actually an outsourcing company that contracts with them to do support

10. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I see. Do you know of any call centers in Denver or Colorado Springs?

11. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't know of any wireless CS jobs in either of these areas are you looking for a job in wireless or will any other position do?

here is a list of positions in Denver from the startek website http://www.startek.com/careers/content_proc.cfm?target=cfjobs_find

hope that helps

DK

12. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks, I was just sort of looking for curiosity sake, not really looking to move there or anything. Just sort of for future-reference, I guess. :)

13. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    your very welcome I am glad I could help :)

14. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I use to work in a call center for a wireless company. Honestly it is a tough job. I give those folks a lot of credit. Luckily for me I wasn't on the front lines, I started as a supervisor for the tech support group. You can only imagine the type of calls we got. IN today's world quite often the customer will know more than the CS rep and that poses problems right from the start. I echo the statement that it's all about having the right attitude but that can take you only so far.

Lucky for me I only spent a year in the call center and moved on to a different role within the company. I will say when call volumes are high all they care about is the ASA (average speed of answer)...we were graded on that and if it got too high we all heard about it. So what happens is CSRs try to get people off the phone too quickly and not try to resolve all the issues with one call, ever hear of 1 call resolution.

15. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the great info ndustry_Insider and I know all to will about high call volumes and first call call resolution I was logged into up to 3 call ques at one time when I did tech support that got harry at times. :eek:

16. 0siris

0siris New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    I worked for a national carrier for about 18 months before the call center closed. It's not easy.

When a company has millions of customers, it's actually not hard to predict, on a national scale, how nights will go. But that prediction depends upon reps to be consistent.

Remember, I said "consistent", not "thorough." If a company with 20 million customers creates a system that serves 100,000 calls every night, and has less than 30 seconds wait time, then the people in charge have to assume X number of reps taking Y number of calls each, and calls averaging no more than T.

Every decision relating to call quality affects all 3 of those numbers. Added training reduces X and increases Y if they are to meet goals. And that probably means expecting a smaller T. Allowing for longer calls causes Y to drop, and means more people must be hired. And so on and so forth.

Plus, your time as a call center rep has to be measured almost to the second. You've kind of seen why if you've been in a store with many registers, but only a few open. A small rush can back up in a big hurry, and even opening up a significant number of registers can still take a while to clear out the resulting backlog. Same idea on the phones. One rep late one minute from break can cause a drop in service levels that can be seen and felt. Even in a 1000-seat call center.

It's a lot of pressure, not a whole lot of pay, and not always easy to stand out. I kind of liked it, actually. But my call times always ran about 10% above goal. But my customer service score was #1 in the center, or very near, the whole time I worked there.

17. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I'm reminded of my most recent drive test of the local Marine base. There was a long line of Marines going to the rest room "on demand". My friend that works in a call center says she has limited breaks, and similar time restrictions.

I would be fired for being late too many times the first week I tried to work in that type of environment. I do outside sales so that I can schedule my own appointments and time.

18. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks this is great info guys keep it coming :)

19. arlockhart

arlockhart New Member

My Phone:
    Nokio 3595
    Darkknight,
    You'll find all the information others have given you the truth. I've been in the phone business for years, and currently work in a call center of an out source company which represents a wireless company (among other clients). One thing that no one mentioned is the people in the phone center. Coworkers. It has been consistent over the years, regardless of the company that I have worked for, that the people make the job. They make the job worth more than a second look, and the long term relationships that I have developed over the years, have enriched my life. A customer service position can be tough, but if you take the time, and really help those customers calling in, you can really take alot of self satisfaction away. Cingular wants to raise the bar so if your looking to have a great time in a great environment and self satisfaction to boot, go for it! :) Good luck!

20. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks very much arlockhart :)

21. z00m

z00m Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    ex-Suncom/Cingular
    Related to this do such call centers tie your pay to your call resolution goal ? kinda of like sales commission ..

22. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG enV Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I know where I worked we had a base pay and then were given finical incentives
    For things like call resolution and going above the required quota but it all tied together, the quota and FCR