Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wlnp

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by SmArTeStChIlD421, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I have a question about the number portability.......not a problem i just was curious and could use some useless info....

work on this scenario:

In my area Verizon subscribers are getting distributed with numbers of this format:

610-858-XXXX

They decide to switch to Cingular and they take their number with them.

They have Cingular for 2 years and they decide to switch to T-Mobile because of one of the heavenly and divine deals :)D )

They decide not to keep their number when they switch from Cingular to T-Mobile because someone they don't know got the number and is harrasing them :)mad:)

from this scenario answer these 3 questions:

1)What happens to the number after its given up......does Cingular get to claim it or does it go back into Verizon's number pool?

2)Will Verizon redistribute the number to new users?

3)Do all companies have similar or the same policies for redistributing numbers?

Like I said its not a problem and its not crucial so take your time.

Thanks!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother

The number goes back to the original owner and it will be reused. An additional example would be if I took my number from Verizon, went with it to Cingular, and then on to Sprint the transfers would take place like so.

First Verizon would transfer to Cingular, then when I want to go to Sprint it'd go back to Verizon who would transfer it to Sprint. Kinda screwy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so the more you transfer a number the longer the process will take......that is pretty screwy.....but if i give up a number it wil go back to the orginal owner?

and they can reuse it but the question is will they.....because if they use it right away some people with that number might call it and the new person with the number would get confused as to why people have their number.

i would expect that they let the number stand idly before they reactivate it

4. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It depends on the needs. When I first got a cell phone many years ago Verizon Wireless had a shortage of numbers in my area code and I got a number that had been given up several days earlier.

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    and how did you figure out that it was given up several days earlier.....do they tell you to warn you about "rogue" callers who weren't informed about the original "owners" number change

or did you figure it out on your own.......and how.....

6. TelcomJunkie

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I found out via the large number of unknown callers and text messages I received from his friends.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yep thats how most people find out :lmao:

8. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If the number was ported from one company to an other the number will go back to the original holder of that prefix once the number is disconnected.

When the number is back in the original company's pool of numbers it's likely that the number will be put out to "cool" for a period which can be as long as six months or as short as a month probably depending on whether the entity that adminsters that block of numbers has a good supply of numbers or if they are running short of numbers.

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    alright thanx fohat i was just curious......something to add to my bank of cellular knowledge