Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless while in British Columbia

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Encore, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Encore

Encore New Member

I travel from SF Bay Area up I-5 to Campbell River on Vancouver Island and stay about a week three or four time a year. My last bill from AT&T was $385. There must be a better plan or service.? Not pleased with AT&T also, due to problem with Mercedes phones that come with the car. I sold my 2000 Mercedes to my son with the builtin phone and AT&T will not activate it with a new number or will they let me put my number back in. I paid consideraable for the systm which is now useless. Understand BMW is having same problem. Use caution when buying a builtin phone on any car. Would like comments on US phone service in BC.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Encore,

What you didn't indicate in your post (and I suspect is the issue) is the plan you are on. Canadian calling is not included with any carrier. It must be added. It sounds more like you were not familiar with wireless service than it being a fault of ATT because your bill was so high. The service must have been good in that you rung up such a high bill. If you need help deciding on a plan, we'd be happy to provide it, but don't think that changing carriers is going to reduce your bill.

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Encore,

Was there a problem with your bill? Surely you're not telling us about being surprised with having to pay roaming and long distance charges while up in Canada - even if you were on the One Rate plan! Sprint and Verizion also do not include Canada in their standard plans.

If you are on AT&T's One Rate plan then you can add the Canada calling option for $19.99/month. This will allow you to call to Canada AND call from within Canada without incurring roaming and long distance charges. You can freely add this option during the month you are in Canada and then remove it when you're back in the US (during the next billing cycle).

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Kenny and Kevin, thanks for your response. You are right the service was fair to good and my plan is the problem. In looking at everything available it would appear that AT&T is the best provider for my needs and given Kenny's imput on the $19.99 Canada included, of which I was unaware, I will work it out to my needs. Thanks.