Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Terms ????

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jcats001, Mar 24, 2003.

1. jcats001

jcats001 New Member

My Phone:
    V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular & Sprint PCS
    Can anyone please define the following things:

1. What does it mean to flash your wireless phone to the tower ?

2. What is a wireless phones IRDB ?

Several times over the past weeks, dealing with Cingular, they have mentioned these terms to me. I sometimes wonder if they are just covering up something.

Thanks

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

1. It's also called reprovisioning. Basically that's a cure for when your phone isn't ringing on incoming calls. I know you dial *18 to do that on Sprint. It's almost like pinging in computer terms.
    2. IRDB is also called a PRL in CDMA-world. It's just a list of towers that tells your phone which carrier to prefer when it is roaming in other areas.

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    first off CINGULAR seriously pissed me off....i used to work for them and heres a warning stay away from gsm ! My opinion is backed by facts first off if you have the gait phone that was your first mistake. So many of them have come back cause it is horrible....the gsm only phones pull in the signal better. And those phones block out sid 25 (thanks bobolito) so you cant even use at&t's towers whitch is what you are using. Personally i think cingular needs to go.....they use t-mobiles gsm towers and at&t's tdma towers seriously get your own equipment CINGULAR your second rate and always will be. Verizon is it CDMA 800mhz building breaker......cant touch it......cingular.....well thats enough said......

and you cant flash a gait phone.....or a gsm phone..at least cingular wont do it (big suprise)

irdb is internal roaming database basically tells the phone what towers i can use I think can someone correct me on this ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jcats001

jcats001 New Member

My Phone:
    V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular & Sprint PCS
    I am sorry that you have had so many problems with Cingular. I too think they are telling me stories at times. I Oct. '02 I got a v60t due to problems with the 5165 I had. I noticed a big improvement in reception.

However, 2 months later they converted & turned on the gsm overlay in my area, Litchfield Co. Ct. and reception again dropped. When questioned Cingular CS said they checked into and I shouldn't have the problems I was describing.

I talked to a retail sales manager, he said as gsm moves in, TDMA gets smaller. Looking at various posts here & on Howard forums, I see many messages confirming that TDMA will be getting worse.

I complained & got this phone on my old NAtion plan (350d, 3500 n&w). I have great coverage so far. Better than before actually. So in my case it's working out, even if Cingular lies, which I know is true.

At&t and Cingular are the only 2 options at this point, & I don't like At&t at all !