Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Terminology Help

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Adman, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Adman

Adman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I've been reading through a lot of the forums and have come across a few things I don't understand. Any help in defining the following is greatly appreciated:

• DUN
    • Seem-edit
    • OBEX

Thanks!

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Seems are the parts of the programming in your phone which store information. This information is stored as bits in binary code and you can turn a seem "on" or "off" depending on if it is listed as a 1 or a 0. This is seem editing. When you edit a seem and either turn it "on" or "off" it changes the way your handset behaves. Essentially, you are changing different parts of the programming for your phone. For example, if you wanted the "VERIZON" which is no doubt displayed on the screen of your phone not to be there, you would edit that seem to "off." You can learn more about seem editing Motorola phones at http://www.motomodders.net/. They have a "knowledge base" which will give you an education on modifying your Motorola phone from the ground up.

OBEX stands for "object exchange"... here's a definition I pulled off of google.com

Object Exchange: a set of high-level protocols allowing objects such as vCard contact information and vCalendar schedule entries to be exchanged using either IrDA (IrOBEX) or Bluetooth. Symbian OS implements IrOBEX for exchange of vCards, for example between a Nokia 9210 Communicator and an Ericsson R380 Smartphone, and vCalendar.

No idea what DUN is but I'm sure someone here will know. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Dial Up Networking--using your modem instead of a NIC. (Network Interface Card, for Ethernet.)

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dewars

Dewars New Member

When referring to DUN with wireless, it is using your Cell Phone as a Modem to connect to the internet.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    See, I told you someone here would know. :)

6. Adman

Adman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Rancidhooligan, Dewars and Cotech: thanks for the education. Much appreciated. I am not very technically inclined, so I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!