Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Spam

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Newbutt, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Newbutt

Newbutt New Member

[​IMG]Here's a new one to me. I have AT&T wireless and yesterday, thats right,on a Sunday, I got a wireless ad on my text messages. Has anybody else gotten that kinda CRAP ? I was so tick off . Spam may be a way of life on the internet . But, on our cell phones ? Am I being ____ about this ? I'm curious if any other provider is pulling this crap. Sound off.
    Newbutt

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Now, if ATT SENT the ad, I'd say you should complain loudly and longly to them to cut it out.

Otherwise, I'm afraid it's a coming phenomenon. Indeed, several companies are now TOUTING that they will provide ads for cell phones. Further, there is a discussion (maybe here on WA) about the ability of local businesses to send ads to nearby cell phone users as they pass by. "Get your Big Mac -- just a block away".

Wonder if the yet to be passed email SPAM bill will apply to cell phones. If you really worry, write your Congressman and Senator with copies to the FCC and your State regulators. If the ad looked bogus, a copy to the FTC wouldn't hurt.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    As the anonymous respondant indicated, it is the next phase in annoying marketing. On the good side, there is no charged for receiving SMS messages. All the rest is on the negative side.

Verizon recently sued a spam company and won.

ATTWS will also be very interested in any spam mail being sent to its customers. But again, as the first respondant noted, if it appears it came from ATT, you'll need to talk to them. However, do NOT take an adversarial stance with them. I am finding it more and more common that posters immediately assume the worst when the company that has been good to them does even the slightest thing wrong. Hey, they are people just like you and I. Would you appreciate having every little mishap shoved down your throat? I find ATT to be very customer focused and I am sure they will be just as interested as you are in stopping further unwanted messages. It is even possible that you inadvertantly took an option that permitted ATT to send those messages. If they originated from ATT, they will gladly discontinue them at your request.

Kevin