Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Service in Pittsburgh, PA?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MOTOhooligan, Oct 3, 2003.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm going to be moving to Pittsburgh, PA in a few years and I'm looking at who has the best coverage in the city of Pittsburgh. I'm leaning towards T-Mobile right now just because of that hot, hot Catherine Zeta-Jones. Mmm-mmm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    Pittsburgh is a great city. Lots to do. I would recommend Verizon or Cingular there. By the way, you're obviously into Rancid, so, check out Club laga. Good shows there! I havent been to Pburgh since i finished school in 1998, so i'm sure a lot has changed. are you going to school there?

Unless Zeta-Jones doubles as a cell tower, don't do tmobile in pittsburgh (based on a few of my friends experiences with it out there)

3. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I may take some classes once I get there but I've wanted to move to Pittsburgh since I was 10 or 11 years old. I was born in Monongahela but had a father in the Air Force so we ended up living mostly in the midwest since I was about 2 or so. Most of my mother's family lives within an hour of Pittsburgh and I like them a lot. So, once my girlfriend finishes school at KSU we'll be moving to Pittsburgh. And I know about Club Laga just from seeing it on all the tour date pages for bands that don't come to Kansas... Rancid hasn't played here since 1995 (except for Warped Tour but if I wanted to stand around in dusty 110 degree weather I'd join a chain gang.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Rancid. Thats' a ways out time wise. Whatever T mob has there now will likely be better by then. I don't think on the other hand, that you'll see vast changes or improvements in VZW for example. They're so convinced that their network is so great,...they believe their own BS

GSM for plain old voice just sounds better - I'm going back to it in a year so probably, once the GSM guys (I was with Cingular - people blast them all the time, but try dealng with VZW arrogance a few times,...I liked Cingular in that respect)
    get the network built out more.

5. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Rancid, please note that Cingular in not in Pittsburgh. Verizon's cellular competitor is ATT.

COtech

6. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

verizon will have better if not the best service in pittsburg...i belive they own the 800 mhz(penetrates buildings better than 1900 mhz also travels farther put 1900 mhz ONLY companies like sprint and t-mobile at a bid disadvantage) lisence there and they recently pruchhsed the 1900 mhz from northcoast ...which put them in prime position to offer the most service in that area...try out the trial period and see if verizon works for you...they have 14 day trial period...

7. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    I have used ATT TDMA and Verizon CDMA in Pitt, they both worked great for me..

8. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good advice. I was just wondering so that maybe I could get service with a company here in Kansas that also had good coverage in Pittsburgh so that when I moved it wouldn't be such a hassle. I don't think that will happen, however as CellularONE, Alltel and Sprint are the big three here. I know T-Mobile has coverage everywhere I'd ever want to go but if it doesn't work very well in Pittsburgh and doesn't work as well as the carrier I have now I'll probably just stay with CellularONE and get new service when I get to the Iron City. Also, how much sense does it make to you guys that I can get Iron City Beer here in Kansas but not Yuengling? I doesn't make much sense to me at all.

9. Maaz

Maaz New Member

Pitttsburgh generally has decent coverage. I use AT&T (GSM) and it works fine, even in the tunnels. I know others who have T-Mobile, Verizon, and Nextel and haven't heard any complaints from them either.

Maaz

10. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sweet action. I didn't figure any cellular service would have coverage in the Ft. Pitt. I'll have to test that out when I get there.