Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless providers in NJ, Essex, Union, Hudson counties

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by 100thMonkey, May 25, 2003.

1. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Junior Member

I will be moving to NJ soon, and wanted to know about experiences in this area. It looks like ATT will be the premier provider since they have both cellular and PCS licenses. Also T-Mo is looking tough with 2 PCS licenses. I imagine I will spend most of my time in the Cedar Grove and Montclair as family lives there. I will also venture east of the Hudson into NY and into the surrounding counties of Bergen, Passaic, Morris, Sommerset, and Middlesex.

This area tends to have varying elevations, how does wireless do here? Nextel puts up a good show too right?

2. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

welll verizon's bread and butter is nj,ny,pa....they are based out of nj....and i belive coverage wise they are the best...i can't speak for all the counties but i can tell you for bergen ,passaic, hudson, and middlesex....verizon kicks but....i know for a fact that nextel does not work in some parts of bergen county....and neither does t-mobile....but nextel does fairly well in NJ.....i would probably rate nextel second....in my opinion t-mobile comes in last because many of my friends have it and when we're in populated areas or on the main roads it works fine but when we go inside small towns they get no signal...atleast with sprint u still get analog...

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    as far as my experience verizon tends to lead the way in coverage in jersey. however if their tower is far away from your house and at7t is a block away. you guess whos going to work better. if your looking for overall coverage then verizon will be a safe bet

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is how I would rate them in terms of coverage.

1- Verizon
    2- AT&T TDMA
    3- Nextel
    4- Sprint PCS
    5- AT&T GSM
    10- Cingular/T-Mobile

Don't go by the number of licenses. That's the last indicator you should use. From first hand experience, I can tell you that Verizon and AT&T TDMA services are the best in this area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 100thMonkey

@ bobolito

So, if I may be so bold, why are you using Cingular TDMA?

6. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    probaby because in his area ATT TDMA = Cingular TDMA and vice versa.

The rating of
    10- Cingular/T-Mobile

probably refers to cingulars GSM service.

7. 100thMonkey

that's probably right because Cingular is prettty good in Central and South Jersey, huh?

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    THAt's right....I use Cingular TDMA and I was referring to Cingular GSM/T-Mobile in the listing since they share the GSM network here. I tried their GSM service a couple of weeks ago and I liked GSM sound and features, but the difference in coverage between TDMA vs GSM is like night and day. So going with GSM was really a frustrating experience to say the least. TDMA on AT&T and Cingular have the best coverage here next to Verizon.