Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Provider RF Locator

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by DaveHS, Jul 29, 2005.

1. DaveHS

DaveHS New Member

My Phone:
    iPaq 6315
    :idea: :banghead: Hello all;

Was just curious to know if anyone is aware of any PDA or Pocket PC compatible software that would allow one to bring up the location of the closest cell sites nearest to them, identify who the provider is, and indicate what the signal strength is?

One would think that with the advent of GPS programs for PDA's & Pocket PC's , and considering that virtually all cell phones have hidden codes that allow one to access hidden menu's which display the same info (ie: the DB level of the nearest cell site the cellphone is using, etc), that someone would have created a basic version of one by now, even if it does not necessarily have a GUI interface (ie: a map with icons on it or such).

The reason I ask is because my wife is currenly having some reception problems after switching providers (see July 27th post - http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=688), however we do not believe it is a provider issue but rather a handset issue, and I wanted to send her to work with something other then a cell phone to indicate what the signal strength level of both closest ATTW & TMobile sites are. If anyone knows of any such types of applications, please feel free to share links to it with the rest of us here. Thanks

2. DaveHS

DaveHS New Member

My Phone:
    iPaq 6315
    Actually, allow me to extend the question to computers in general. Anyone aware of any type of such software that one could use on a laptop, using an wireless aircard for example? Thanks

3. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    What you are looking for is known as a Signal Analyzer, or Cell Site Analyzer. In general, these items are obscenely expsensive, and are usually relegated to the engineering departments of wireless telcos, or governmental agencies.

Here is a good example for about $6500:

Anritsu RF Spectrum Analyzer

The reason they are so expensive is the fact that they will usually pick up and analyze any signal... whether it is analog, digital, CDMA, TDMA, AMPS, IDEN, whatever... you name it.

I have seen models which can be adpapted to a Palm Pilot, these are even more exspensive because it is in a much smaller form factor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DaveHS

DaveHS New Member

My Phone:
    iPaq 6315
    Thanks for the reponse BlueTech; yeah, that was generally what I was looking for. Given that a PDA exists, then in all likelyhood there must also be something for laptops, probably along with the device you linked.

I, on the other hand, have found the following, (http://www.coolstf.com/IrPass/#GSMSignalMeter ). This, too, is basically what I am looking for, something that basically gives me slightly more info then the bars on a cellphone! :) I'm still trying to get it to work so I can take advantage of the GSM Signal Analyzer, but would be cool if they created something, even as basic as this, for laptops, that analyzes the signal the laptop is using via the aircard being used. Even if it doesn't show all the cell sites that are in my range (which in itself would also be a cool program), at least this provides some info that hidden menus on some phones would, something not all phones do, but should (Sorry, I'm bias, as I am a previous network analyst for an wireless co)! If anyone else knows of anything similar, let us know!

Dave

5. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Thanks for the link to that site :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...