Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless phones for Dummies???

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by keithbeck, Jun 25, 2006.

1. keithbeck

keithbeck New Member

Let me start by stating that I am one of the Dummies: I am aware that cellular tech is changing and that I am not keeping up. I need a basic course in how to understand the choices so I can better choose and use what is available. Can anyone recommend a source of the basic information, so that I will understand TDMA, GSM, digital vs analog, etc etc. (For what it's worth, I am using Verizon, very unhappy with coverage on my western car travels (which may be the fault of the particular phone [LG: VX4500].) Thanks for any direction.
    keith beck

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hi keith,

Where do your car travels take you and how are you not satisfied with Verizon coverage? Do you get no signal or is the quality just bad?

TDMA is being phased out in the United States and all TDMA carriers are/have switched to GSM or CDMA. Cingular still has quite a few customers on TDMA and is trying to get them to convert to their GSM network. Cingular and T-Mobile are the two national players that use GSM. Sprint, Verizon, ALLTEL, U.S. Cellular maybe are some you've heard of and they use CDMA technology. What kind of plan are you on with Verizon? If you give us the information of where your travels take you, exaclty what problems you are having with Verizon, and what plan you are on we will be able to help you.
    ~Andy

Edit: I just quickly googled this website, it may help you further understand the different technolgies: http://www.mobilitysite.com/2006/06/steve_3.php

3. keithbeck

keithbeck New Member

I travel up the central valley of California (routes 5 and 99, with frequent excursions into the sierras), and up the east side of the sierra (14 and 395) Many dead spots and dropped calls. One of the worst spots is Lake Isabella and Kernville, where I go frequently: very poor service. Many spots no signal, and other spots weak signal that drops calls even when I don't move an inch. I have also had poor service in UT and ID, even on the interstates. I wonder if my phone (LG model VX4500) is part of the problem?. Thanks for the URL: it helped a bit with my understanding..

4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What plan are you on??? America's Choice II, the No Roaming AMerica's Choice Plans should give you an Extended digital signal around Lake Isabella/Kernville, CA. UT/ID wise it would be interesting to hear some cities/towns that you are having problems with Verizon. I-15 does indeed have some dead spots. ALLTEL has the best coverage in the I-15 corridor in Central/Southern UT. All other carriers drop here or there. I'd love to hear what areas of UT you've had bad experiences in so I can see if that applies to me as well.
    Idaho wise, the Verizon network is quite well built out in most areas. The No-Roam AC 2 plans also include Sprint, U.S. Cellular(now ALLTEL) and Inland Cellular as roaming partners...basically every CDMA carrier in the state so your coverage should be okay. If you can name some towns where you are having problems in UT/ID and those are areas that should be well covered, maybe it is a phone problem.

5. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellphones

6. keithbeck

keithbeck New Member

I have Amerca Choice plan I (not II). However, I don't get charged for roaming in the areas that are problematic for me (Kernville, SPringville, Lake Isabella (all CA))--just bad service. Ogden UT area is a problem, as was southern ID (boise and east of boise).

All of these areas were fine with my ATT (thru 2004).

keith

7. cutback

cutback New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I travel 14/395 alot and VZW doesn't have service from Red Rocks to 395 (I think) When I was on ATT there was spotty service there but other spots nothing - compared to VZW having coverage in those spots. I'm not sure if there is constant service for any service provider.

8. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ogden, UT overall has great Verizon service, and in areas Verizon is bad you can always fall back on Sprint if they are any better. In Boise area I dont think Verizon is that bad...again, there you can fall back onto Sprint and ALLTEL as well. Maybe part of it is your phone.

9. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Are you saying that with VeriZon you can roam on anything even if the carrier serves that area? It was my general impression that you cannot roam unless a roaming agreement is in place and carriers rarely allow that unless they don't have native coverage. Maybe VeriZon does things differently than other companies.

10. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Pretty much... If a company is in the PRL and VZW is not available, you can use that system at no cost. At my job, VZW is spotty in my basement, so the phone reverts to Cingular (analog) or Alltel (digital or analog). i have also forced my phone onto Cingular, Alltel and Sprint while I was in VZW coverage w/o problems; I have made calls on all 3 systems while in a native VZW area. Regardless of plan, VZW is prioritized over anything else. You are right, however, otherwise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. noahm

noahm Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V276
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hmm...Maybe it's because you are on AC 1 but i live in Ogden and Verizon has excellent coverage here as do most all of the major carriers. I would try some other phones.

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon does have ALLTEL and Sprint in the PRL for the areas they natively serve too in Idaho. The phone will automatically pick up one of them if the Verizon signal fades. Also with CDMA phones forcing your phone onto a carrier even that VZW doesn't want you to roam on is not that hard. ;)