Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless Number Portability Stories

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JFB, Dec 1, 2003.

1. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Good news, glad to hear it!

2. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Well, halle-<CENSORED>ing-lujah!

"Oh look, bad PR! Time to do it right, fellas!"

*spit*

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cloudscout

Cloudscout Junior Member

Well, it still isn't transferred yet... but I have more news.

I have received a public apology from AT&T.

Steve Alexander of the Minneapolis Star Tribune interviewed me this afternoon. Then he started digging. The resulting article includes a quote from AT&T PR Rep Mark Siegel apologizing to me for the unacceptable delay.

Check it out for yourself here:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/789/4252120.html

(For those who haven't put 2 and 2 together... I am "Matthew Sparby")

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Cloudscout, Did your number finally port over? I think AT&T should pay your T-Mobile bill for at least six months for all the BS they put you through. But I LOL when I saw the two links on the bottom of the article selling AT&T wireless service.

5. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    You go Dude!

Its time they got the shaft anyway. LONG overdue.

Let us know when the prot is done.

And 50 coolness points for making slashdot.

6. shrugged

shrugged New Member

I'll jump in on this thread -- I'm starting to lose my mind trying to port my number from T-Mobile to Verizon.

Typical story. I started the process by signing up for Verizon service ten days ago. A week ago they were able to pull the number from T-Mobile and shut my old phone off. Since then, I've called the Port Center every day at least once, and every support person tells me the exact same thing: "Wait 24 hours, and the process will be complete." I've heard this over and over again for six days.

Tonight I called and told everyone that I spoke with that I wasn't getting off the phone until my number was ported. I eventually spoke with two different supervisors. One was able to be honest enough to tell me that their IT department is working on my problem (which is effecting thousands of customers in Michigan and Ohio evidently), but that there is no resolution in sight. Basically all I heard was, "we've been working on the problem for at least a week, and we have no idea how long it's going to take us to fix it."

To Verizon's credit, my wait times have been short (approximately an hour on the phone tonight, compared to some of your four hour calls), and the people are very polite. Unfortunately, no one knows anything, or has the ability to get anything done, OR get in contact with anyone that can get anything done. Apparently all they have the power to do is say, "we can get the problem resolved in 24 hours!"

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid

I'm sad to say I am not shocked that there are problems in Verizon's OH/MI market. The OH/MI Verizon market is like the black sheep of the VZW family.

8. atheodossis

atheodossis New Member

Hi !

Porting a number from T-Mobile to Nextel on an existing Nextel Account
    Port requested Nov. 24th
    Nextel called Dec 11th @ 8:30 notifying us that the porting has been completed
    8:40 our ported number was fully functional [​IMG]
    We double checked in the TMobile site to make sure our account with them has been closed and everything looked ok.
    We are very happy with our porting experience. Nextel handled it like a Pro.

9. OCDhelp

OCDhelp Member

Friend started to port from AT&T to Verizon on 12/5...by 12/11 it was still not completed. Both sides pointed fingers at each other. In the end, she had them cancel the port and got a new number... What a headache.
    On a positive note, I successfully ported from T-Mobile to Verizon within a few hours.

10. Kitsune

Kitsune Member

Hey everyone. Just got back from a business trip where none of my clients could contact me because my port is STILL incomplete. It's been THREE WEEKS...that's 21 days of being disconnected.

I initiated the port on the 24th. According to AT&T the port was complete and confirmed on the 28th. For some reason Sprint can't activate the number.

If they can't get this straightened out I have to get new letterhead and business cards....not to mention losing contacts I worked so hard to make. This is going to hurt.

Seriously folks, if your business depends on it, don't port until carriers have the process streamlined.

Until my number is up and running, I'm stuck with a temporary number. It's like being on a desert island. No one knows the number and my phone hardly ever rings. What a nightmare.

The flipside is that everywhere I went in LA I got great Sprint coverage on my Treo. I even got coverage in my parent's house. Their Verizon phones and my old AT&T phone couldn't do that.

I'm furious and delighted all at the same time. [​IMG]

11. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Class Action Lawsuit???

12. Justjoey316

Justjoey316 New Member

I tried to port my number to Cingular Wireless from AT&T Wirless on November 18th. After 12 days of the port request failing, I finally cancelled my new Cingular phone and decided to try Verizon. I ordered my phone from Verizon on November 26th, and was told that the number would be ported within 3 hours from when I recieved the phone. I did not recieve the phone until December 12th, and I have waited since December 12th for the port request to go through, and am still waiting, using a temporary Verizon # for now.

I HATE AT&T WIRLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Joe

13. Kitsune

Kitsune Member

Generally speaking, the problem with class action lawsuits is that the lawyers benefit the most from it. Typically only a fraction of losses are recovered for the consumer.

I wouldn't know where to start to take legal action on a more personal level. However, I'm starting to consider looking into it.

I'm going to file a complaint with the FCC and go from there. I will demand to be compensated for all the sleepless nights, hours on hold, and work that I've lost. Day 24 and still, nothing. If Sprint is able to complete the port, they had better offer me some serious service credits for all they've put me through.[​IMG]

14. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Also look into contacting the Better business beauro and any local media outlets you have contacts with.

The BBB will definately listen and is a good resource and the Mesia will give ATT more bad press and they may shape up IF they have enough bad press.

15. 123ledford

123ledford New Member

Cloudscout,
    I could repeat your story almost exactly, but I'm trying to port from Sprint. They actually told the rep that they would not agree to transfer the number! My mom had the same problem coming from verizon. I have been waiting since 11/24, and I am still waiting

16. sccambridge

sccambridge New Member

I have been reading these posts for about 3 weeks now, and finally decided I needed the therapy of sharing my story. I started the transfer process from AT&T to T-Mobile on the 25th of November. On the 1st of December AT&T supposedly released my number, and it was in the process of being transferred to T-Mobile. However, on the 2nd, one of the transfer agents at T-Mobile was convinced that there was an error my port request (although none of the agents before him or after him saw any issues with it), and said they would have to cancel the request and re-enter it. Well, since then, my "request" has a "glitch" in it (according to the 11 T-Mobile agents I have spent 38 hours of my life with over the last 3 weeks), and they dont know what to do. It has been in T-Mobile's escalation group for about 2 and a half weeks, and every time I spend the hour waiting to talk to their transfer group, T-Mobile says that the "escalation group" is working on it, but I can't talk to them because they dont take calls directly. I have worked for the last 10 years supporting production IT financials systems, and find it utterly incomprehensible how a system glitch cannot be resolved within 3 weeks of the issue being escalated. Yeah, T-Mobile finally gave me an interim number a week and a half ago, but I use it my cell phone for work, so I can't instruct everyone to update my contact information with the interim number, and then send out another email in a few days (wishful thinking), when my old number finally ports over. At this point, I am ready to go back to AT&T if they can get my number back. T-Mobile's customer service folks are nice, but it is obvious that they have serious process problems.

17. LAW5

LAW5 New Member

[​IMG]I, too, am on day 25 of phone number held hostage! Going from ATT to Sprint. Trying 3 numbers on a family plan. #1 got there on day 6, #2 finally arrived on day 20, mine is still "in progress". No need to bore with same old hold stories (at least they stopped sending me to India and the Phillipines to try to talk to people who didn't have to pass the EASL test to get a job).

Attempted to negotiate with Sprint to accept a new number with adquate compensation for surrendering my old one as well as the 25+ hours of my life spent listening to that hold music. The "supervisor" was offended that I thought (1) month free service was not an adequate compensation!!!!!!!! The $65 works out to around $2 an hour for my time and nothing for loss of number.

My ire was originally directed to ATT but after having three-ways with ATT, Sprint and myself to all agree on the required transfer information and finding out on (3) later occasions that the Sprint files did not retain the info, I really think Sprint is the culprit and just using ATT as a scapegoat!

Ironically, as I look for an alternate plan, I may find myself going back to ATT.

Heaven help us all!

18. nysteve

nysteve New Member

I have been reading these messages for well over a month now, and other threads in this site, and elsewhere.

It appears that some of us have had no problems in porting, and others have had nothing but grief.

My number was ported from ATT (wonder why?) to Verizon the afternoon of December 7. The process took less than four hours from when my wife and I walked into a Verizon store to when I noticed that the phone was able to receive and make calls. Maybe it was a miracle.

In canceling two lines with ATT I had no problems with their representatives over the phone. The only thing that has arisen is that I believe ATT may be charging a fee for transferring to another carrier as the rep told me there was a remaining balance and the libe was cancelled before the billing cycle ended. The rep could not determine what the charge was for.

I wold be interested if anyone is being charged a fee for porting to another carrier.

19. Cloudscout

Cloudscout Junior Member

So here's the latest on my situation.

On Sunday, December 7th I called T-Mobile and was told that AT&T had finally fixed the problems on their end as of Saturday, December 6th but now T-Mobile was having its own problems and that my port would take another week or maybe longer.

I said that wasn't acceptable and cancelled my port request (although I kept my T-Mobile service with the number they had already assigned me).

I decided to port my AT&T number to Vonage instead.

Guess what? On December 16th I received a text message on my T-Mobile phone that said my port was complete.

9 days after I CANCELLED my port request, they complete my port. 22 days after the initial request was placed.

Now I can't port the number to Vonage without cancelling my T-Mobile service and getting hit with the $200 contract cancellation fee.

20. Kitsune

Kitsune Member

No doubt T-Mobile will hold your number hostage until you cough up 200 bucks.

I'm looking into contacting a lawyer to see what I can do about my porting issues with Sprint.

21. LAW5

LAW5 New Member

Yeah, I had an "adjustment" to the first number that ported over from ATT. It was around $2.50. No explanation. They did pro-rate my monthly charge. I'm expecting another "adjustment" if and when the next number is released from captivity.

22. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    To be honest, i think that the companies that epople are trying to port numbers TO realy do want your business. It looks like every 3rd thread on this list is about how bad ATT is being about all this. Honestly, I advise people not to port there numbers till February now cause I am still waiting to here about more positive Experiences.

23. LAW5

LAW5 New Member

I wish someone had advised me to wait a while. There was no news the first three days, so on the nite of 11/26 I began my odyssey. Oh, well. I would agree, however, with the advice and share with all with whom I discuss.

24. IBM5081

IBM5081 New Member

My porting from T-Mobile to Verizon was quite smooth. I started at the end of the work day on December 23.
    In 24 hours, T-Mobile released the number. The new service with the old number was working by the morning
    of 12/26 and T-Mobile disconnected service by the morning of 12/27.
    I did have to re-program the new phone once with help from the CS helpdesk, but it has been smooth ever since.
    Waiting for a month sure paid off.

25. LAW5

LAW5 New Member

Day 36 of phone number held hostage... A new year begins and my Sprint service still doesn't work. Of the 3 numbers I tried to bring over, one works but with unuseable service within my house (the Nokia 3588i, other Sprint phones work just fine so it's not my location); the second one works fine everywhere EXCEPT WITHIN OUR AREA CODE (honest, we live in 313, the phone has a 313 area code and it won't work here); and, of course, I'm still on ATT since Sprint can't figure out how to get the number connected within it's system. Tomorrow we'll have a show down. I just don't know which carrier to go to next. I wonder if I can port the two numbers that made it to Sprint to a third carrier?

[​IMG]

26. krshultz

krshultz New Member

Well, I did two ports in a little less than two weeks. Unlike so many of the rest of you, it wasn't so bad.

The first one was from Sprint (who I had used for a number of years) to Verizon. This completed in about two hours but was flaky. First, to dial even right down the street, I had to dial the area code. Never had to do that before. Annoying but I figured I could live with it.

So I had this Verizon phone (some sort of LG color phone, not a camera) and found that contrary to popular opinion around here, it just didn't work that well. Around town it was great, but at my house, it basically didn't work at all. So I borrowed a coworker's Nokia GSM phone, got a prepaid SIM card and started testing. It worked *awesome* at the house so I arranged for the second port.

Well I got the phone and it had the wrong kind of SIM card, so over to the store I go. The port at this point had not yet been attempted. Well once we got a proper SIM card put in and they activated the phone, it just worked instantly. Mere seconds. And the annoying area code bug was gone too.

27. LAW5

LAW5 New Member

I surrendered to the portability issue and I'm much happier for it!!! After 38 days of fighting with Sprint to give them $2000/yr of business I gave up. Took all the phones back to the Radioshack where I got them (and they were great about it!!!) and switched to Verizon. (Note the change in my Icon from sad to happy person). Got 4 new numbers, they all worked by the time I left the store and now get reception in areas I never could with ATT or Sprint. So not only did Sprint not get the 3 accounts I tried to bring over, they lost my daughter who had been with them for 3 1/2 years. Sprint really needs to clean up the technical expertise of their customer service group. They seem to be good at selling plans, but really bad at making them work.

PS The best, fastest and most effective CS I got was when I got through to their "Cancellations" department. Maybe they have the most experience?

Thanks for the catharsis opportunity... I feel better now!

28. nlk10010

nlk10010 New Member

While I sit here pondering my next move....

Switched from Sprint to Nextel on 12/9. Nextel kept telling me "in progress", etc. Finally found on Monday, 1/5, that Sprint approved the port-out on DECEMBER 15th and that this was all NEXTEL'S problem. Apparently, their computers or switches can't SEE my ported number. Isn't that wonderful?

All this time (12/15-1/4) the Nextel reps (most of whom seem competent and courteous) were repeating the "it's only a matter of time...". Don't know whether that says more about their stupidity or my ignorance/naivete.

I really do like Nextel. I'd like to make it work with them. But I don't see why I should be paying for two contracts when Nextel can't get their tech act together. I also realize that I may not get anywhere with complaining to the FCC (or FTC or whatever), trying to cancel with Nextel, etc.

But I'm sure as h*ll going to try.

Just some info to point out that there are more dimensions to this portability thing than people may at first think.

=NLK=

29. jbanda

jbanda New Member

Seems that all carriers but AT&T Wireless got the same 3rd party vendor to do their porting work. AT&T Wireless had the chance of either do as good as all other carriers when it comes to porting. If worst came to happen for that same 3rd party vendor for which every carrier chose, every carrier would look just as bad not only att wireless.

30. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My port didn't take too long, it was just annoying due to one tiny mistake.

I've had Cingular Wireless since before it was Cingular Wireless. It used to be BellSouth Mobility DCS. My plan is still an old BellSouth Mobility DCS plan. I won't go into details on why I hate Cingular Wireless because that's not the point. The point is, I was switching to Verizon Wireless.

They said the port should be complete in 3-24 hours, and to check the port status, I could call 1-877-LNP-4-VZW. So, the next day, when the port wasn't complete, I called. They said, "We are waiting for your old provider to release your number. After that, the port process will continue." So I called Cingular and asked why they haven't released the number. First they told me that I owed them money ($1.13 for some really strange reason...the day before it was a "zero balance," now I owe them money) so they wouldn't port my number. That's against FCC regulations, but it actually turned out that they had no record of getting a port request. So I called Verizon back. Now, the recording said, "Your port request requires additional information. Please hold for the next available customer service representative." The "next available customer service representative," thirty minutes later, said that they were just waiting. I told them Cingular hadn't received it yet; they assured me that Cingular had received it.
    Now, Saturday. It still wasn't done. I started this on Wednesday. So I called Verizon Wireless again. Again, "Your port request requires additional information. Please hold for the next available customer service representative." So I did. For 40 minutes. Then I tried the other landline in my house and got through to a person immediately. The person said they were waiting for a response from my old carrier, and asked who my old carrier was. I said, "Cingular Wireless in the old BellSouth Mobility DCS service area." (In retrospect, I shouldn't have said anything about BSMDCS.)

So I called Cingular Wireless. Their excuse was priceless:
    "Okay, sir. The reason you can't port your number is because you are not in one of the top one hundred Metropolitan Statistical Areas. In fact, none of those areas are in North Carolina."
    "Excuse me? Three of the top Metropolitan Statistical Areas as listed by the United States Census and the Federal Communications Commission are in North Carolina. Charlotte-Gastonia, Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, and Raleigh-Durham."
    "Excuse me for a moment. (five minutes later) I only see Ray-lee Dur-ham."
    While on hold, I went to the FCC Website to get the list.
    "Would you look at number fourty-seven please?"

Needless to say, my number was portable.

A Cingular Wireless manager said that they had no record of a port request and that she would call Verizon Wireless! It turns out that the wrong carrier code was on the port request, so Verizon Wireless was sending the port request to the wrong company. The Cingular rep, the Verizon rep, and I went through every little account detail, getting it exactly right. The Verizon rep's excuse was priceless. "You did not purchase your phone at a corporate owned store, sir. What was the name of the store?" I went in circles for a little while, reading the receipt with VERIZON WIRELESS and the store number on it to the guy, until he gave up, but still said that I had purchased my phone at an authorized reseller, which I didn't. It is from a corporate store.

I called back 6 hours later to make sure the port request had been corrected.
    It hadn't. The rep said, "No, I don't have any request with Cingular Wireless on it. It says your old carrier is CTCO. Who's that?" I was told CTCO would have to deny my request before Verizon Wireless could make my old carrier Cingular Wireless.

I called CTCO.
    "Commonwealth Telephone Enterprises, how may I direct your call?"
    "This is going to sound like the most insane thing you've ever heard, but I'm trying to port my cell phone number from Cingular Wireless to Verizon Wireless, and Verizon Wireless sent the port request to you by mistake, and they can't do anything with it until you deny it."
    "I'm sorry, but our business office is closed. You'll have to call back Monday at 8 AM."
    "Okay. Thank you. Bye."

Well, the way they answered the phone opens a view. Commonwealth Telephone Enterprises is a tiny local phone company that serves about 100,000 people in Eastern Pennsylvania. They are not required to be port-ready until May 24, 2004, so they can't receive my request to deny it anyway!

I went back to the Verizon Wireless corporate store and they said they'd fix it.

I called Verizon Wireless the next day. The carrier code was still wrong. The name on the account was now wrong. Apparently, when the Verizon rep and Cingular rep got together, they'd changed the name to be misspelled! I was told that the request to CTCO would time out at 7PM ET the next day, and I should call Verizon back then.

When I called back, they said the request had not timed out, would not time out, and I'd just have to wait for CTCO to deny it. I said that was not acceptable and asked them to send another request out - this one to Cingular Wireless. The system apparently doesn't let them change requests in progress, but they can add another request for the same number. This time, it was working. It went through. An incoming call came to my Verizon phone out of the blue! No text message. I did the *22800 opt 1 as instructed by my Verizon rep and called Verizon Wireless to verify that everything was done. They confirmed it was.

My Cingular phone hadn't been deactivated. When I called Cingular CS to see what was up, they said that they confirmed my number had ported to - get this - "Airtouch Two." I said, "Fine, yes, Airtouch, Verizon Wireless is owned partially by Vodafone Airtouch. Now why is my Cingular Wireless phone still working?" They didn't know, but promised it would be cut off soon. Which it was. 48 hours later, my Cingular phone read, "SIM card registration failed."

And it's done now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...