Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless in Pa... 'preciate some advice

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jazzman, Feb 8, 2003.

1. jazzman

jazzman New Member

well.....I'm new here so thanks in advance
    for any advice or suggestions.....

I have tried ATT wireless and it was a dismal failure....
    the phone was the Nokia 1260 that came with the plan.
    I don't think I completed more than a 2 1/2 minute call in the week I had the service.
    No signal in my living room, in fact, it said I was roaming
    in my own home.

Next I tried Verizon....
    could not make calls from my home and complete them.
    most calls were very 'warbly'/'underwater' sounding, inspite of the
    Verizon Rep saying they had the best coverage in the state.
    The phone was the v120e that came with the plan.

Guess I'll try Cingular next.

I live just outside of Media, Delaware County for those who might be familiar
    with the area.

Is it possible that I live in a dead zone of sorts, and no service will work for me?
    Were the phones the problem? If so what models are rec'd? I just need a phone
    with good clear reception voice mail.

Thanks

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

Well, I go to school at Villanova and Sprint is the best carrier on campus. I also used Cingular for more than 2 years, but I don't know much about the Delco area with Cingular (I live in Bucks Co). Cingular and Verizon have more overall Philly coverage than the others, so Cingular wouldn't be a bad try, but Sprint might be able to work with you too.

BTW, for Sprint you can go to www.sprintsitesusa.com and literally see if they have a tower in the Media area. However, this site is not foolproof because it does not list all of Sprint's towers, but only the freestanding ones that they own (not leased space from another carrier). This site is where I discovered a tower within 1 mile of Villanova.

3. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Perhaps, right now you have a coincidence. I agree, try out Cingular next, they are the other cellular carrier (A, Verizon is B) in Delaware County. When your ATT phone went to roaming in your home, it was using a Cingular tower. I personally use the Nokia 6430i, a phone with dual digital modes (TDMA, GSM) plus analog (AMPS). Voicemail is kept at the switch, not in the phone. (The 6340i can record three minutes of voice, both sides of a call, and is a feature I haven't used yet.)

After that, there's Nextel and T-Mobile.....

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, I'd try Cingular next. Usually Verizon and Cingular are the best in s. PA, DE, and s. NJ. Then try out Sprint, Nextel, and T-Mobile...something has to work!

5. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    If ATT was in roam or extended area it had to be off a cingular tower. Therefore if you had a strong signal cingular would be good but if not stay away from cingular. You are probably better off with TMo or Sprint(it took a lot to say that). Sprint cs and service is less than desirable but if it works where u need it -why not?

6. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My vote is the 120e wasn't a good phone of choice living in a fringe area... I'd try another phone (LG VX4400, 2000.)

7. jmccrane

Why try another phone if another carrier works better? I only point this out because 1 carrier doesn't work for everyone. I love Sprint because I can't go to a spot on my suburban college campus without fill signal strength on my phone (including low floors of thick-walled buildings). However, if my carrier's signal was barely there at my house, I'd look at others. I stick by my vote: Go with Cingular or Sprint (or T-Mobile, or anyone who works).

8. jazzman

jazzman New Member

re: Why try another phone if another carrier works better?

The quote above brings up another question for me...

How much difference is there in real signal reception/strength
    from one phone to another? Is it really a matter of trial an error
    and time/money spent to find a phone that will work the best in my area?

All the Reps I have spoken with say that the phones work the same way and the only 'real'
    differences between the phones are creature comforts, ringtones, color screen etc.
    Is this true or false based on everyones experiences?

9. jmccrane

Actually there can be a difference based on design (even though actual transmission power does not vary by law among phones). This is especially true with Sprint, where Sanyo phones run circles around LGs and Samsungs for reception. I don't know how true it is with other carriers.

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    jmccrane, (just opening a parenthesis here) I know the general conception is that Sanyo's have better reception than LGs. However, I question how much truth is in it. I have a friend that switched from a Samsung (I forget the model) to a Sanyo 4700 and I couldn't help noticing the negative change in sound/call quality when I was talking to her. Also, the number of dropped calls increased. After a year of unhappiness, I gave her an LG 5350 for christmas and although the signal indicator seems to show a weaker signal now, the ability to maintain a call on the LG is much better than the Sanyo, not to mention the sound is much better. I've also noticed that Sanyo's have a longer antenna than LGs. I am not going to judge general conception of a brand against one isolated case. However, what do you think? Could it be that the signal indicator fools people into thinking Sanyo's have a better signal? Could it be that the longer Sanyo antenna is responsible for the apparent reception advantage?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. jmccrane

bobolito, I don't know. First of all, there is a LOT of testimony from Sprint users to back up the notion that different cell phones have different quality when it comes to reception. I have used my Sanyo 4900 against an LG 5250 and some Samsung models in the same area and the conversations on the other phones were more garbled. Also, the area showed 4 bars on my phone and only 1 on the LG. I know the bars aren't the best way to measure, but a 3 bar difference is significant no matter how the measuring software works, IMO.

On a side note, I am told the LG 5350 does a better job than most other LGs on Sprint in terms of reception. Also, I've also been told that the 4900 beats the 4700, which was not at strong for reception. Again, this is based on various testimony, not experience.

12. jazzman

jazzman New Member

Still searching for a carrier:

well....even though I cancelled Verizon service, I received
    a $320 invoice for services. I called customer service to inform them that
    I cancelled my service for the 2 phone plan within 8 days of the trial period.
    The Rep told me that the request for cancellation was for one phone.

I told him to examine the request further and notice that both phones were
    returned at the time of cancellation, so of course, it would make no sense to have a service
    without any phones. He agreed and said he would take care of it. I guess I'll have to wait and
    see.

When I returned all the materials to the Verizon mall store, the Rep there assured me he was
    cancelling both phone services. Hard to understand how they could get my request wrong.

13. Rhow411

Rhow411 New Member

Tmobile is awesome in delaware county- in and around newtown sqaure/media/broomall/villanova/havertown... i have verizon and my sister and a few of my friends have Tmobile, they get service way better than i do.. i use their phones because my simply says NO service on my phone, where they are actually getting FULL service.... Tmobile is cheap so it can save u a lot of money a year... there GSM service is great in the philly area.. i say get more with T-mobile.... no one is having problems with them atleast in this area... i heard nothing but great things so far.....

14. Restore

Restore New Member

do u know any similar websites to find tower locations for t-mobile, at&t, cingular and verizon

15. Todd0101010

Todd0101010 New Member

SPRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sprint is by far the best service in E. PA. I have had them all. Att was OK, Verizon was OK, Cingular was good, T- Mobile was horrible. Sprint seems to be very good in this region. I travel E. Pa NJ and DE and never get dropped calls. I live in Morgantown ( no Amish jokes) and get full bar action. Trust me...go with Sprint

16. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    PA is a big state. You need to be more specific. Wireless in Southeast / Eastern PA is entirely different from central PA... is entirely different from western PA.
    You mustn't have signed up for the correct AT&T plan, otherwise you wouldn't be roaming in your own home.

Please tell us where you live, and where you plan on travelling.

17. TMaC01

TMaC01 New Member

SPRINT will work the best in that area. The PCS network is fantastic and reagrdless of where you are at, all features work the same. Give Sprint a try and you won't bother with anyone else.

18. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    thats a one sided answer come on now. sprint is the best in any area ? how do you figure..do you have any idea how many customers have come to me complaining about how horrible sprint is ? now thats just what they had to say..personally it wasnt that bad but the coverage couldnt compare to cingular. and as far as him roaming off of at&t thats only if cingular is tdma in his area (which he did not say) if cingular is gsm (lower eastern PA) he may have a better shot.