Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Deebdee, May 19, 2004.

1. Deebdee

Deebdee New Member

I would like to know what Wireless service is the best in Mass, especially north of Boston out in the country?
    I'm with Nextel right now but my 1 year contract runs out at the end of the month and I want to switch to something cheaper. Their service hasn't been exactly great with dropped calls and poor reception in my area. I've been using a Motorola i90c and the speaker phone leaves a lot to be desired.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Well, for best coverage in rural areas, the easy answer is Verizon. They will be cheaper than Nextel, but not the least expensive out there.

You may want to give AT&T a try with their GSM America Plan along with a Multiband Phone. That should get your excellent coverage here in MA and just about the least expensie pland/minute out there. AT&T gives you a 30 day trial period so you can always cancel if the service isn't up to your expectations. also, if you find that the multiband phone rarely has to switch to digital in your area, you can then consider a more feature rich phone later on.

3. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Based upon my travel experience in the Area, I tend to agree with the above message. Verizon is probably the best for coverage, but you get what you pay for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T might be a good choice because of pricing. Since they roam a lot on Cingular in that area they should offer good coverage. However, you may want to check out Cingular as well since they offer more rural coverage than AWS in Massachussetts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
  6. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

Cingular has the greatest coverage in MA outside of the Boston area, where they anyways freely roam onto at&t... In central and western MA, cingular is hands down #1.

7. YRless

YRless New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3560
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT Wireless TDMA
    I am going to have to disagree with you about Cingular being strong north of boston. I tried it for a week and found myself in "extended area" (ATT) in a few locations. ATT TDMA used to be good about a year ago but now has a lot of system busys. I can not speak for GSM but if you travel to NH/ME/VT it is not the best option. In the two years I had Verizon I never had coverage issues and yes I agree with you that Cingular is king in central mass.

8. cenmassguy

cenmassguy New Member

I live in central mass, and I have had at&t and vzw. vzw is much better. When you go into rural areas, that is when vzw really shines. Whatever you decide, make sure you try your new phone/service everywhere you want/need it to work, while you're on the trial period. 15 days for vzw, 30 for att, I believe. If you do decide to go with att, make sure you find out about gsm and tdma, and which works where. The att sales people told me gsm would not work well, if at all where I live. I get full signal strength with vzw. Good luck! :)