Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wireless in Burlington,VT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by vermontcellboy, Jul 16, 2003.

1. vermontcellboy

vermontcellboy Junior Member

I think seeing T-Mobile in Vermont is going to happen as is Cingular/ATT, but when will the work on these infrastructues begin.... And speaking of that, can someome help me decode all the licensed providers...

And in Burlington, VT..The main city in Vermont, it looks like
    T-Mobile 1900Mhz GSM/GPRS is lisensed
    AT&T Wireless System: 1900 MHz TDMA GSM/GPRS
    Cingular Wireless 1900MHz AMPS GSM
    Nextel
    Sprint PCS
    UNICEL/CellularONE
    VTEL Wireless? (All 1900mhz)
    Alaska Native Wireless? (1900mhz)
    Devon Mobile Communications? (1900mhz, I think they are a company that builds/leases towers)

2. HelloMotoV70

HelloMotoV70 Junior Member

You left a few off of there like USCC which will soon be Verizon. But, what do you mean by decode? Frequencies? Or what?

3. vermontcellboy

Like some of these companies I've never heard of..
    (Speaking of that, USCC is not licensed for northern vermont...I thought they were only deep soutern vermont)

4. HelloMotoV70

HelloMotoV70 Junior Member

well, here we go, Devon is its own mobile carrier that went somewhat bankrupt, articles of this are available online, Cellular One is alot of different companies with lots of different phones, they are now pretty much a supplier for T-Mobile, Cingular, Etc. With Moto, Ericsson, etc. phones. VTel is part of ALLTEL that makes a mess of products. Alaska Native Wireless is a tricky one, they do own spectrum in your area and compete with other carriers up there and probably parts of Canada. The rest of the companies are givens.

5. discjoker

discjoker Junior Member

T-Mobile: Already has a small presence in Vermont. They have coverage in and around Killington even though nothing is shown on the maps.

Unicel/CellularOne: Formerly Cellular One, now known (as of a couple of months ago) as Unicel. Owned by Rural Cellular Corporation (RCC). They are unifying their east coast brands (the Maine portion of their network has been Unicel) under one name.

Devon Mobile Communications: Bankrupt carrier as stated before. Assests and licenses were auctioned off. Verizon acquired some of their licenses, and US Cellular acquired some of their licenses in Vermont.

In regards to US Cellular, they now own licenses in all of Vermont. They recently acquired Burlington and Rutland Vermont through the purchase of Devon licenses and through a spectrum swap with AT&T. The new freqs are 1900mhz.

6. discjoker

discjoker Junior Member

Oh, and Alaska Native Wireless is a regional (Alaska) cooperative of wireless corporations which is based in Alaska. They won the auction to purchase the NextWave national spectrum. This gave them a lot of the country including Vermont as well as major cities like New York City, Los Angeles, Denver, Tampa, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, New Haven and Portland. They are not currently offering service in any of these areas and the auction purchase is still being disputed by the government, NextWave, and Alaska Native Wireless.

And just to clarify what companies actually provide service in Vermont...here ya go:

Verizon Wireless (B Carrier in N. Vermont/PCS Carrier in Southern Vermont)
    Sprint PCS (PCS Statewide)
    Unicel (A Carrier in entire state)
    Nextel (800mhz Iden)
    US Cellular (B Carrier in Southern Vermont, has PCS licenses as well)
    T-Mobile (has service in Killington but does not sell service)

7. vermontcellboy

From what I read about towers being built I think Devon was a subsidiary of Adelphia, and I remember reading Adelphia's intent to start a cell company...So USCC is gonna go north...who else? and when? as I stated in my post. UNICEL is TDMA...and offers for some companies, not for T-Mobile, since they are GSM.
    -AG

8. discjoker

discjoker Junior Member

Yes, Adelphia had grand plans for a cell phone company. Blanketing the state with both macro and microcells for 100% seamless coverage. Their goal was to be an alternative not only for the other cell companies but for landline carriers as well. They were going to provide their product at a very reasonable cost focussing on their local coverage and not on roaming ability. It sounded great until they realized this goal would be too expensive and of course the whole Adelphia scandal and bankruptcy. In other words their original plan was not well thought out.

9. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

Great thread (I'm in Essex).

In addition, it is expected that Cingular/ATT will be providing GSM1900 thru the RoadRunner buildout.

Also, Unicel has just announced they will be overlaying GSM850 on their existing TDMA network.

Add to that T-Mobile's announcement this week of a contract with Ericcson to buildout their "underserved New England regions", and US Cellular's CDMA800 conversion and CDMA1900 buildout in Northern Vermont...

Put it all together, and I'm enthusiastic we will have many more choices for mobile providors here in Burlington over the coming year or so!

10. vermontcellboy

This is great, but I also want to know dates for all these great rollouts, and UNICEL GSM is even better [​IMG]
    -AG

11. acd483

acd483 Member

I thought there was a law banning new towers (digital GSM) in Vermont. Has the legislation changed? I didn't get T-mobile for the fact that I travel to Stowe often. Verizon's been excellent in VT.

12. discjoker

discjoker Junior Member

No, no laws banning towers(new or otherwise) in Vermont. Towns are able to regulate where the towers go but they can't(and don't) outright ban them. It is true however that some towns in Vermont give cell companies a hard time when wanting to build a new tower.

13. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It is not legal for a city/town to ban cell towers. Some have tried but lost when the matter went to federal court.

14. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

The cellular license that USCC owns covers southern VT, northern NH and part of northwest MA.

15. discjoker

discjoker Junior Member

USCC also has PCS licenses in Northern Vermont. They aren't using them at present time though.