Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Windows Phone nearly doubles share in US after Nokia Lumia 900 debut on AT&T

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by Eileen89, May 20, 2012.

1. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Google's Android gains share in smartphones-survey | Reuters

2. Eileen89

I've been reading a lot of nice reviews about the Nokia Lumia and I really think if the Windows OS continues on this path they have what it takes to pull up to the #1 spot on the OS charts. How many people (not including Charlyee) :p knew that the Lumia 900 running Windows OS was going to be as popular as it is right now?

#2 Eileen89, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Sort of makes you think just how popular Nokia & Android would've been had Nokia gone with Android instead of Windows? ;)

4. Eileen89

Yeah, I'm thinking, but what I'm thinking is Nokia would have been just another Android manufacturer in a already crowded market. I'm glad Nokia went with Windows OS as it really has helped bring them back again.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3

1 person likes this.
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I totally agree with IR, I think Nokia would just have been lost in the sea of Androids, somewhat like Sony. Nokia would be entering the market quite late in a market that is over saturated in all levels of devices.

Although there is a smattering of HTC and Samsung WP devices, Nokia is entering the market as a top dog and at the right time. They are not quite out of the woods yet but certainly have a great start.

Most importantly of course I wouldn't have got a Nokia Lumia. :D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am very happy with my Trophy, and I am leaning towards another Windows device. As I have positive feelings on Nokia, and the Window's OS's growth.Verizon is who I question, as to whether or not it will grasp onto the Windows OS.

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm not too sure about this. Nokia is usually head & shoulders above every other player in the RF department. The fact that there's an Android port for the N9 speaks volumes — they didn't do it just because they could, they did it because they wanted a top-notch OS on a top-notch device.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Agreed, the RF on this device is phenomenal.

They have a top-notch OS on a top-notch device, the Lumia 900. :p:D

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 900)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Eileen89

Charlyee, this sounds like something Siri would say. :D

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

1 person likes this.
  10. Eileen89

RF is the one dept. that a Nokia ever lacked in.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

11. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Playing with some of the first WP devices, plus with the new Apple like direction MS is going, their was no doubt WP would take off. MS was just waiting for the right device to kick the marketing into high gear. :)

I recently switched to the Arrive from many buggy Android devices. Even with giving up WiMax & large screen I am happy with the Arrive. The OS is just so smooth and fluid, everything just works, even with Sprints slow EVDO speeds.. No need to reboot or uninstall / reinstall apps.

1 person likes this.
  12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The OS may very well be top-notch, but it'll take some time for it to prove itself.

13. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I have recently switched from a buggy Symbian device to a buggy Android device, almost at the same time as a colleague switched from a buggy Android device to a buggy iOS device. About a year ago another co-worker has switched from a buggy iOS device to a buggy Android device. See the theme here? ;) It's the nature of software, it is all buggy -- you just pick the one where the bugs interfere the least with what you want it to do ;)

And we do have one buggy WP device in our device drawer, as well as a few buggy Blackberries :D

1 person likes this.
  14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I think I need to send you a case of bug spray. :p

My Symbian S60 was not exactly buggy but excruciatingly slow. The BB had very minimal problems but I couldn't count on it to always connect to BIS servers from overseas through WiFi. The iPad has crashed on me a couple of times as well and also locked up.

How is the WP7 buggy, just so I know what might happen or not happen. :)
    Yes of course but until then Siri and I agree, it's the best. :D

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    How does one take a screen shot in WP?

16. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Not very easily as I mentioned in my review thread::)

"Oops, almost forgot - there is no easy way to do screen capture yet, but I am sure it's coming, it took awhile for Android as well."

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 900)

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Bummer. A picture is worth a thousand words and a screenshot is the easiest way to illustrate it. I guess you'll have to live with a crappy camera shot. The other one serves to illustrate what the page looks like in a non-buggy browser.

Attached Files:

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks for taking the time. :)

I guess my definition of buggy is different from yours, yes agreed not all web pages are rendered correctly. The browser does need to be improved.

I was more thinking bug like in an Android. For example my Atrix battery percentage would jump up by 15-20% upon power cycle and at the most in opportune time tell be that the battery is low and to plug into a charger.

The Vivid would lose data connection 3 out of 4 times when switching from cellular to WiFi and I would have to switch to Airplane mode and back to re connect to data.

Like you said to pick the one whose bugs affect me the least and since I do very little actual web browsing (not forums), with my cellphone "this bug" does not bother me. In fact not being able to take a screenshot bothers me much more. ;)

19. Eileen89

Charlyee, Safari and Tapatalk are the only 2 things that crashed on the iPad 2 that I had so I can see that happening, however, how did your iPad lock up?

20. Eileen89

I wonder if there is a hack available that would allow for Window devices to take a screen shot? If I recall correctly with Android there was a hack available on some devices that would allow for taking screenshots.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5

21. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    IR, I believe it was when I was backing out of GroupMe recently. There have been a couple of incidences with another app but I don't remember which one it was.

Safari has crashed on me and so had Google Transliteration, I don't use Tapatalk with my iPad. :)

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I believe there is, I am just restraining myself from doing hacks. :D

23. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The bug of course being that the browser incorrectly states what it is and is not capable of :) Then there was something with messaging back in December -- something really serious like a DOS attack, I assume it's been fixed since then. However the inability to take a screenshot is not a bug at all :D

24. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Sorry, you lost me there, what do you mean by "incorrectly states what it is"?

I didn't mean to imply that the lack of screenshots was a bug, just that it bugs me more than the limitations of the browser.

I am not aware of any messaging bug now, in fact the messaging (both SMS and MMS) is very smooth, slick and fast. The way it handles group messages is far superior to what the Android has.

I judge bugs by how many times I have to cycle power, soft reset, battery pull etc and so far (knocks on head) it has been none in the 6 weeks I have had it. I classify that as "bug free" for my usage. :cool:

25. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I've no idea what it means. However, "incorrectly states what it is and is not capable of" means that the browser claims to support certain features that it doesn't support or fails to mention features it doesn't support :p :p

26. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    If there's a bug on a phone, but you can't make a screen capture of it, then does the bug really exist?

(Sorry, I was feeling a little philosophical :p ..."If a tree falls in the woods..." ;))

27. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    lmao, I believe it's past your bedtime and your are delirious. :p

28. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    IMHO, a bug does not equal lack of a feature.

If the WP7 software doesn't allow a common screenshot, then that is a lack of a useful feature, not a bug. A bug is your Android OS messing up what it is suppose to do.

BTW with WP devices coming out, I'm hearing a lot more complaints about Android devices than I ever did before on these forums. Just an observation.

Charlyee, when I was fooling around with the Nokia Lumia 900 a couple/few weeks ago, checking out the screen brightness/darkness, I noticed that there were only 3 levels of screen brightness: low, medium and high.

Is that correct? By comparison on iOS Apple devices it is a continuous slider bar for screen brightness. It is very useful to fine tune that for personal use and maximize battery life. I can include a screenshot, but the same exists on your iPad. That coupled with the Auto setting is useful, probably more so for a phone than the tablet.

Having only 3 settings in WP would be a lack of a feature, not a bug (dmapr...btw the way, I can only remember your screen name by saying to myself, d..map..r).

29. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol I had to check, yes that is correct. I am too lazy to fool around with brightness settings and leave all my devices on auto. I can't say I have run into any problems but had to sometimes in my Moto and HTC make the brightness higher for bright sunlight. Of course, as you know the Lumia is very legible I'm bright sunlight.

30. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks for checking ;)

The way Auto works on the iDevice, is first you set the level brightness and then turn on Auto: Auto tries to maintain that level of preferred brightness in all situations. So maximum brightness is only achieved at the max setting, not at 50% where I normally have it. It does for the most part work well, but bright sunshine is just too much light

I saw a Lumia in sunshine...I would disagree that it is very legible...it has the same problems as all light emitting displays have in bright sunlight...and is the same as other better devices (iPhone, Samy), as verified by that web page you referenced somewhere.