Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Windows Mobile-7

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by CRC, Oct 19, 2010.

1. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Windows Phone 7: Tipping the Scales of the Smartphone Market | VisionMobile :: blog

Hello All...please read the attached article. This makes it sound like WM-7 will give even iPhone and Android a run for the money...or at least tip the scales in WM direction. What do you all think of this? Is this the same ole WM that I dealt with on the T-Mobile Dash, or is it a new WM?

Wonder how it compares to iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, etc. Just curious y'all!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It's supposed to be all new. THat's why there has been very little WM application development lately. As soon as MS announced that, most everyone stopped WM application development, because in a few months it would be obsolete with the new version. I plan to jump ship to Android when my next upgrade is due, after about 6 years of WM phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Like Jay said, it is supposed to be all new and has potential imho. I think it will beat the older OS of RIM and Symbian and will do well against iOS and Android.

It is nice to have more choices and I am looking forward to it.

PS: It is no longer Win Mobile, it.has a new name *Windows Phone 7* ;-)

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; SonyEricssonX10a Build/R2CA016) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

4. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So Jay...even with the new WP7 coming, you've had your fill of Window's devises and are heading over to Android. So then there must be things about Android you like better? Or you're just looking for a change? I am considering Android as well.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    What has soured me is that none of my current applications will be able to be moved to my new device. That means I'm starting all over again. Android has the best hacking options available right now, so that's the direction I will probably go.

I can't move my applications to my new device, and there have been no new apps for my current device for quite some time. That, and its supposed to be more like the iPhone? I liked WM because it wasn't like the iPhone. Sorry Mr. Gates, I'm moving on. (Unless you want me to "evaluate" one for you of course. PM me for an address to ship it to)

6. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Too bad Jay WM doesn't have a DM type software to move things from the old to the new like I do with BB.

I also agree with you in regards to Window's products. The thing I didn't like when I had the TM-Dash, was having to close out multiple app's that were running if the thing got too slow. Was kinda cumbersome to have to go into that management menu and close things out.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Chris, Windows Phone 7 is an entirely new OS and not an upgrade. The existing applications for WM are not compatible on Windows Phone 7, not too far off from wanting to move a BB app over to an Android.

Even in the BB line, all the apps for OS5 are not compatible with OS6, even though it is not that big a difference. :)

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes, Charlyee is right. I was referring to the fact that current applications will not be compatible with the new version of WM .

9. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm sorry Jay/Charlyee...I didn't mean being able to transfer one technology to the other, I meant it's too bad WM doesn't have a transfer program that works "like" BB-DM does.

I had a much older BB at one time...different handset, then got a new one handset that was quite different with upgraded software. I was able to use this BB-DM "wizard", basically telling it which phone I had and the new one I just got. Clicked "go" and all the info transferred over.

That's what I kinda meant. Sorry, I'm not as technically inclined as some of the rest of you! :confused::biggrin:

10. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've never had problems before with new devices, I'd just sync my old device with my laptop, then sync my new device with the laptop, and most of the important stuff was moved. Like I said, what bugs me the most is my old applications will not be compatible with a new device.

11. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry Jay...I'm still learning on how things work, and about technologies. Charlyee set me straight on a couple of things. Didn't realize you can't transfer the entire phone like the BB for example, everything in that phone to the new one let's say from BB op5 to op6.

When I did upgrade from the previous BB op system to op5, I remember I could only transfer things like my contacts, calendar and that's about it. At that time I had no BB apps, so it wasn't a big deal.

Sorry you have to go through that hassle. Hopefully future use with Android will remedy that and make it so you won't have to go through that again.

12. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I've read some reviews and saw some screenshots of WP7, and it looks like it has a really nice, polished look to it. Maybe nicer than Android in some ways. But as for the functionality, I'd still choose Android, as WM7 was lacking alot of things (I was going to post the side-by-side list but can't find it now :O) Anyway, I think WM7 is a nice contender, but the bigger question is: "is it really needed?". There's too many OS's out there and they are almost all nice. The playing field needs to get trimmed down to just 2 or 3 OS's in my opinion. Android, iPhone and RIM would be fine by me. Symbian and Windows aren't really needed, as Android is doing a good job at the "generic smartphone OS". iOS and RIM are hardware specific OS's.

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I look at an OS, I look at how hackable, and how functional it is. Not how slick it looks. I have a Motorola V551 that I setup to look like its running Windows XP. I have several hacked Motorola V3's. I had my own version of WM running on my Tilt and my Pure. I can make Win Mobile look slicker than an iPhone with hacks, skins, and custom icons. Right now, it appears that the OS that best fits my criteria is Android. WM7 has to be cheap, and have a good hacking community established by the time I qualify for an upgrade, or I will not consider it.

14. JohnCena83

JohnCena83 New Member

I read the great post though paints a bright future for Microsoft, I'm not sure it deserves.
    The only two things going for Microsoft Windows Phone 7 as I see are:
    1. The ability to leverage their large base of existing developers in the PC
    2. The link you are making the Xbox system

You can fly the first fan-ware providing (hopefully not), and the second is relevant to a small (and important) part of the customer base.

It would be interesting to see how this is going to leave, as this may be the only option available for those who want to differentiate from the crowd Android.

15. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    WP7 seems like too little, too late. IMO, it's the meager app selection that will kill WP7, unless MS does something about it soon. This is the bread and butter of iOS and Android.

I'm still blown away with how much Android and Apple apps do these days.