Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wilson antenna ?????

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JustJerry, Dec 2, 2011.

1. JustJerry

JustJerry New Member

I've got a Wilson antenna, been using it for more than 2 years, & it has worked quite good. Its one that is wireless inside my house.

Since December last year my wife has had a Strait talk phone, her phone worked great until last week, all of a sudden she had no service.

On my computer my Verizon USB modem had a strong single, so I thought all was great.

We went back & forth with strait talk with no help. The last time we called them, shortly after we left home to go out to eat. I told Linda, bring your phone & see if it works else where.

We had no more & got out of the drive way I told her to try her phone, she had service.

When we got back home, no service inside our house. I walked to the end of our driver way, had service.

When I got back in our house no service, at last I turned off my indoor Wilson antenna. Instantly had cell phone service, & all has worked well until today. Linda had to get another card, after the new card, wham, no service in out house with Wilson Antenna on, turn it off, got service, about two bars.

I can them turn the Wilson Antenna on, the signal strength on the cell phone will jump up to all bars, for about 30 to 60 seconds, them the phone will got to no service. unplug the Wilson Antenna, within a few seconds service will return to the cell phone.

I do not understand, as I said from December of last year, up until last week all worked perfectly. And the Wilson Antenna does boost my single on my Verizon USB modem, & also for a few seconds for the cell phone..

Can anyone solve this puzzle?

Thanks,
    JustJerry

2. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    Is your amplifier Single or dual band . If single Straight Talk might have moved off that frequency , they can go back and forth as tower traffic dictates . Where as data usually transmits on a single band . If you have a dual band amplifier , one side of could be dead . Also check antenna cable coming into the house . Make sure it has good solid connections ( not weather compromised ) . Also check no critters have chewed on that cable anywhere .

Good Luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JustJerry

JustJerry New Member

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm trying to give the details just as they are.
    Its a:

Wilson Signal Boost In Building DT Wireless Cellular /PCS Amplifier
    Model number 271247, Part number 80124

I glanced through Wilsons & it seems the news on are just a bit different than this one, I though I might be able to show you the exact one I've got.

I've had this for about two years, coax is good, it worked quite good, the green light is always on. When unplugged I will generally lose about two bars on my computer USB modem by Verizon, & if the cell phone is down here it seems to lose 3 bars when its turned off.

I did not use the small coax that come with this unit, I bought the larger coax of high quality, years ago when I was into CB's I ran a ground plane plus a set of Moonrakers 4's & I used the large coax, simply because if was just a little bit better, & the cost was not much more.

The paper that come with this unit says its for both 800 MHz & 1900MHz.

I understand Strait Talk cell phones use Verizon towers, that is the main reason we went with it, we knew we have very good coverage with them.

Earlier I left my Wilson Signal Boost off while I took a shower. Afterwards the cell phone had a good signal. When I would bring it into the room with the antenna, the bars would go full. I took it back to my wife showing her it is now working.After reading this reply I went to check it, no service.

I turn the antenna booster off, in a few moments the cell phone came up two bars. I waited about 5 minutes them hooked the booster back up, the cell phone went to full bars, & in about 30 seconds no bars.

And as I have stated, anytime I turn off the signal boost my Verizon modem goes down at least 2 bars, so it would seem that implies that its working.

What I fail to understand, because for two years, until last week on Tuesday, this had never been a problem, we always had great service in our house here on top of a hill.

Them all of a sudden on Thursday it started working perfectly. Them from Thursday until today all was well, until my wife got a new card, them it did as last week.

Seems like such trouble are always hard to solve. Who knows, in a day or so it may go back to working as it did last time. If so, I surely wonder what's the cause!

4. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    All I can figure is one frequency on your amplifier has gone dead , Like I said Data usually transmits on one channel while voice can move back and forth with tower traffic. With your phone working fine in other locations and your data card working consistently , this is the only thing that makes sense . I quite honestly never have seen this with one of our amplifiers . If you consider buying a new amplifier Please consider ours . You will find them to be far superior products to the Wilson amplifiers .
    We gave one away here earlier this year . Here is a link to the review by the winner at the end of the thread.

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t...contest-win-solution-your-cell-reception.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JustJerry

JustJerry New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I turned it off last night, I usually leave it on all the time. This morning the cell phone had service. I suppose I turned my booster on about noon or so, & the cell phone has had service all day.

In the living room it generally has 2, maybe three bars. I can bring it in here & the bars are all full. I kept it in here for 30 to 60 minutes, & all is working well.

All of this does not really make sense. I guess its a wait & see situation.

6. mikeinkaty

mikeinkaty New Member

Could the amplifier be oscillating with the antenna? Move the indoor antenna to a different location. I know Wilson products are designed to shut down if they start oscillating.