Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Wilson Amplifiers keep dying!!!! HELP.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by arkansas, May 16, 2010.

1. arkansas

arkansas New Member

NEED ADVICE! I have lost four (4) Wilson 812201 Direct Connect signal boosting amps in the last month. Wilson has been wonderful and replaced each one trying to get to the problem - we've replaced the Yagi 1900Ghz antenna, the 20' low-loss cable, the 12v AC adapter, and after 18 hours of wonderful booster service the amp gets hot and dies. WHAT can it be?

This configuration worked flawlessly for 11 months and then died and SOMETHING is killing it every time. Right now, I have a friend's older model 802201 connected (same gen as the one I had for 11 months) and it works great but I won't leave it plugged in long for fear of frying it.

Wilson doesn't know what's causing it but doesn't think anything on the inside could be causing it. On the inside I run a cable to my AT&T USBConnect Mercury modem that is plugged into a $250 Cradepoint N router that then delivers wirless internet to my house. I don't even have cell phone signal inside my house without it - let alone data connect. I'm going crazy!!

Again Wilson has been wonderful! I dread calling them tomorrow morning to tell them I have had a 4th amp fail. It seems to point to my CradlePoint router - is that possible??? Is there any type of program to monitor the amplifier and see what's going on? Something is overdriving it using it to burn up it's power supply.

The amp will be working just fine, it normally runs pretty hot - that's normal - and then suddenly it just dies - stops producing signal but gets even hotter and just continues to be HOT until I unplug it. After cooling down and then plugging it back in the dead amp's power light will blink green for a few minutes then either go out or glow faintly while getting hot again and providing no signal.

I can't go back to NO Interent at home - not to mention I pay $60 a month for this 5GB datacard connection. I can't find ANYTHING on the Internet. I'm a very technical person but this is way outta my KB.

2. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    Try a Cyfre they Use software control amplification . Do not get warm to the touch and draw far less power.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. arkansas

arkansas New Member

Wilson told me last night that there is a known issue with the Mercury Usb modem that ATT uses. Something about the antenna prong being weak and causing problems with the amp. I know it's bad because I've replaced 4 that broke the prong just bt being bumped. So I guess I'll shop for a whole new set up. I thought the Cyfree was a router brand - I'll look into their amps. Are there any recommendatios for an ATT 3G USB card? My signal is too poor without a wired amp.

4. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Never have heard about a mercury problem. Cyfre is a great amplifier. You could use an option GT Globetrotter they are a data device and a router that handle multiple computers. You can get the at Cradlepoint Routers, In-Car Internet, Aircard Routers, Cellular Modem. Just put your sim card. and you are in business. The Globetrotter can be connected to an amplifier/antenna as well.

'

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. arkansas

arkansas New Member

that Cradelpoint Router pictured on the page you gave me is the one I'm using. It works GREAT. It's the amplifier I keep killing. If I switch to that Globetrotter I'd have to buy a different router because the Cradlepoint is USB modem compatible. Because of my location I HAVE to hardwire an antenna to my modem so I can get 3G. I'll look at the Cifre. Thanks.

6. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Globetrotter doubles as a router . You do not use a different router . The globetrotter has an RF port and you can connect to an amplifier and antenna to enhance your signal.

7. RitaMae

RitaMae New Member

Actually the Globesurfer III is a "Gateway" device. It is a combination modem/router, so you don't need another router. GlobeSurfer III Think of it as a MiFi that actually works ;-).

Alternately you could just get a new AT&T modem to replace the Mercury. just make certain that is it not the Qucksilver (no antenna port), and not the Turbo or Velocity (Cradlepoint does not yet support them).

Like Maximum Signal, I have not heard of any big problems with the Mercury, but ALL those modems use the itty bitty coax fitting that is just asking for trouble. If it is in a fixed location where you connect it and forget it, they seem to work out OK. If you need to connect and disconnect frequently, not so much.

I have a friend that drives truck and uses the aircard both in the rig and at home. After replacing half dozen aircards or antenna adapters, she attached the new modem to a new adapter, and siliconed the snot out of it. Not very pretty, but very effective, she just moves the modem/aircard with the adapter cable as a unit between the truck and home as needed.

As for amps, it just doesn't get any better than Cyphre, and the price is reasonable.

HTH

#7 RitaMae, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010