Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wilmington, VT --Need help

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by lacrosse76, Nov 26, 2002.

1. lacrosse76

lacrosse76 Junior Member

My grandmother lives in Wilmington, Vermont and has verizon wireless. She cannot get a signal in her house, or in the immediate area. So she needs to find another provider.... Anyone have any suggestions of who might actually have service in this area??

2. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

There are only two providers that I know that have reasonable service in rural southern Vermont - Cellular One (cellularone.com) and US Cellular (uscc.com). Both currently provide TDMA service in Southern Vermont.

However, I'm concerned that she can't pick up a usable Verizon signal there. Is she on an America's Choice plan? Both Cell One and USCC are in all recent PRLs so she should be able to use their signal if one is available at her house (albeit an analog one).

Good luck!

3. lacrosse76

lacrosse76 Junior Member

Shes not on the AC plan, shes on the old singlerate east. She called to switch to AC, but they wouldnt let her because of where she lives, at least thats what she told me. I put in her zipcode on the verizon webpage, 05363, and it says they dont offer service in that area. I just did *228 on the phone, We'll see if that helps.

If she cant pick up an analog signal from cellone or uscellular, does that mean she probably won't get a digital signal from them if she were to switch companies?

4. sinnfein

sinnfein New Member

Hey. Your last point is the one that would most concern me. Even on SRE, she should pick up either Cell One or US Cell Analog if they had a good signal at her house - you might want to do a PRL update "just in case". However, I suspect the lack of a signal there would mean that even TDMA digital signals from either provider there would not work well (I'm by no means an expert there, but assume that the same RF transmitters and towers would be used for both the analog and digital overlays).

I'm not surprised that Verizon wouldn't sell a phone to her as they have no native coverage in much of southern VT. She would be a money losing customer (i.e. always free roaming) while at home. I'd suggest trying out either Cell One or US Cellular if her contract with Verizon is up - even though I think in general Verizon is a MUCH better overall provider than either of them, 100% roaming on analog would really bite.

Best of luck!