Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will VZ Activate Without New Plan?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by meischa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. meischa

meischa New Member

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me...

My KRZR is broken (water damage), I want to purchase a new phone outside VZ, but only need them to activate it with my current plan. Will they do this without changing my current month to month plan.
    I currently am on the North America plan month to month and want to keep it. Today in the VZ store one CS rep called over to me telling me not to change anything if I want to keep the plan, my own CS rep (probably new) was not familiar with the plan and didn't quite understand why I didn't want a new free phone with a new plan.
    I'd rather pay for a VZ phone and keep my plan, is this possible?
    If I buy one outside VZ, do I need to take my new phone into VZ for them to activate it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Meischa

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The one sticking point that you may run into is that some of the newer phones will require a switch to a Nationwide plan (if you aren't already on one), like the Chicolate 3, Dare, Glyde, basically any non-smartphone with an HTML browser and/or touch screen. The "free" phones for the most part dont require any changes

If the phone is an older model or a smartphone you will likely have no problem keeping your plan.

If you are forced to switch, Verizon has the newer Nationwide plans that has Canadian roaming included... I'm not sure whether you lose Mexican roaming with the new plans.

If you buy a phone from a 3rd party, you can activate the phone with the ESN changer after logging into "My Verizon" or by dialing *228 and select the option for activation...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. meischa

meischa New Member

Thanks for the information.
    Mexico is most important to me., it is now included in my monthly fee, no roaming charges. The helpful CS rep said I would lose my included Mexican plan if I change plans, it is no longer included on any current plan, that is what I'm trying to keep.
    I'll shop for a good third party seller.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The phone policies still apply;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Your safe bet is to get a Verizon-branded phone from the third party seller, even though some may say a Sprint, Alltel, or other CDMA phone will work. You'll likely run into problems if you get a phone from another carrier.

Also stay away from GSM phones (AT&T, T-Mobile for example), as they are incompatible with CDMA and Verizon.

6. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    cant you actvate ur own phone online assuming you have a compatable phone and good esn... you def wouldnt be changeing ur plan then.
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400

7. meischa

meischa New Member

Just wanted to let you know, I got a good phone on ebay, then activated it quickly online. Still got my North American plan!!
    Thanks

8. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Glad it worked out for you! Good luck with your "new" phone. :D