Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will verizon wireless ever use GSM?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by phonelooker, Feb 4, 2004.

1. phonelooker

phonelooker New Member

I want a phone that can work in the US and internationally.. if I am correct, the international wireless standard is GSM right? what is the frequency or are their multiple frequencies?

Basically is there a phone that can work pretty much in any country around the world? and if so, what is that standard called?

Will verizon offer a phone with GSM or other international standards anytime soon? if so, you think it will be very expensive? is this what quad-band means?

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No, Verizon will remain CDMA for as long as they are Verizon. Quad-band phones are only GSM and are offered by Cingular and AT&T at this moment. Quad band phones work in all four GSM bands: 800/1900Mhz for North America, Central America, South America and the caribbean. 900/1800Mhz for the rest of the world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phonelooker

phonelooker New Member

who has GSM in the US?

do these quad band phones require SIM cards that you must change for every country? or do you just use the phone in any country you are in and it works?

how is the reception in these other countries compared to that of the US?

4. ljh

ljh Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC MyTouch 4G Slide
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile offers also offers world phones. AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile use GSM in the United States. You do not need to change the SIM when traveling outside the U.S. I've used my phone in Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar without any problem.

5. axvx8xoxr

axvx8xoxr Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    i hope verizon stays away from GSM, then i'd have to buy a new phone! [​IMG]

(BTW i'm perfectly happy with CDMA)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes! Expect the Samsung SCH-A790 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406) soon - I'd guess Q2/Q3 2004.

7. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon also offers some sort of deal where if you go to another country they will let u rent a phone or something, I am not sure exactly what it is but I heard a salesperson talking about it once.

8. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    what happened to Q4 2003 like they promised four months ago???? :-(