Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will Verizon Let me cancel without an ETF

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by afterher, Dec 18, 2002.

1. afterher

afterher New Member

I was wondering what you guys thought? I am thinking about switching to a carrier where I can really upload my own ringtones/wallpapers. If I call Verizon to cancel and say I am mad I spent all this money on a phone that doesn't let me do anything will they let me out without the Fee or will i be screwed?

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    My guess is they'll ask you to pay a nice hefty late fee. Generally unless they violated or changed the terms of your contract, you can't get out without paying a late fee. My guess is that nowhere in the contract did they say you'd be guarnteed a phone that allows you to uploa ringtones etc. Out of curiosity, is that the only reason you want to cancel? If so, then you must have different priorities than I [​IMG]

3. acoysighintime

acoysighintime Junior Member

Who cares if the network is strong and widespread? If he can't get his phone to play A Flock of Seagulls when someone calls him, it's GARBAGE!

4. matt8205

matt8205 Junior Member

Here's a post from another thread describing how an AT&T subscriber got around his contract; I don't know whether this also would work on Verizon:

---------------

"Saw this on FW

Is this a way around the $175 early cancellation fee?

1) Tell representative you want to switch over to GSM network.
    2) They will cancel your TDMA account (so that they can transfer the number to a GSM network), with no cancellation charge.
    3) You try GSM network for less than 30 days. Before 30 days, you cancel because you are "unhappy" with the service. You get your money back.

So basically if i do cancel, will I be AT&T free?"

------------------

After my experience with contracts with AT&T, I no longer regard them as binding if you're as creative as this guy. And if you add in the oxymoron known as "customer service," my loyalty disappears completely.

If they really had the best service, why would they be worried about binding your hands for 12-24 months?

The other option would be to wait and see. I'm guessing contracts will shorten over time, and perhaps disappear. I just signed on with USADataNet, a land-line long-distance service that makes my cell phone obsolete for long-distance calls from anywhere in the northeast.

If this option had been around last summer, I wouldn't have a cell phone now. Make your own decision, but you can check it out online at USADataNet.com. See what you think...