Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will GSM ever be 800mhz in NYC?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NYCDru, Jan 31, 2003.

1. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Basically the topic is the question. Because of NYC's infastructure, I would only go to GSM if it were offered at 800mhz. The best coverage in NYC is all 800Mhz (VZW/ATTWS). The PCS(1900mhz) carieres have the worst problem records here.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, NYC will have GSM 800 whenever AT&T feels like it. Them and Verizon are the only 800Mhz carriers in this market, therefore our only hope for GSM800 is AT&T. Unfortunately, Cingular committed to T-Mobile so they won't have GSM800 here.

Don't be concern about availability of phones. New GSM 800/1900 phones are coming out everyday like hot cakes and before you know it the market will be flooded with them. Soon GSM 1900 phones will go the way single-band TDMA phones went and you'll see GSM dual band mostly. It is only a matter of time before GSM 800 is as popular as TDMA or CDMA. AT&T GSM network in NYC cannot survive with the miserable 10Mhz of spectrum they licensed in the 1900Mhz. They need and will use their 800Mhz license for GSM in NYC to handle future demand especially with those bandwidth/spectrum hungry 3G applications they would like you to buy. Just give them sometime and you'll see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Thats reasuring bo....but then why build a 1900mhz network in the city? Why not just build the 800 mhz network you are going to have to build anyway? The only thing i casn think of is maybee they wanted to use Tmo's network till they built there own but i don't think thats the case. ???? Dru is confused

4. shaft103

shaft103 New Member

they couldn't afford to take the spectrum away from tdma. Thats why they are making the push to get as many people onto gsm as possible so they can spare the spectrum in the 800mhz band.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Exactly. In the end, they will have both 1900 and 800 GSM. More spectrum means more capacity for 3G.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...