Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will AT&T GSM Improve in NYC?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by EdRiv1216, Jun 2, 2003.

1. EdRiv1216

EdRiv1216 Junior Member

Will AT&T GSM Improve in NYC?

I live in NYC and I use AT&T GSM. In Manhattan I get a decent signal most of the time but when I travel into Brooklyn the signal is terrible with lots of dropped calls and the fact is that even in Manhattan I get a poor signal in certain areas along with the dropped calls.
    What I want to know is will AT&T GSM improve here in NYC or is this the best it's going to get?
    Is AT&T GSM still putting up towers through out NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx)?

2. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Manhattan and NYC in general has always been a problem for ATT. As far as the GSM service getting better, i think it will. They stil have not converted all their TDMA towers to GSM. So the service will improve. But if you need GSM go with T-Mobile.

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    All the GSM providers are going to get better in time. kind of like wine. new towers will go up coverage will expand and holes will be filled. How soon will all this happen ? My guess is about 4-5 years down the line when 3g and 3.5g is playing a bigger role here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mLife2003

mLife2003 Member

They're always improving coverage in most of their markets. I have seen a significant rise coverage in Long Island since switching to GSM last month. Signal might impove within the year when they add new towers to test EDGE to have it running by 2004/2005.

5. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    What phone are yuo using with ATT GSM?

And yes ATT's GSM covcerage in thew city will definately get better over time. They have to be able to move everyone to GS before they can shut down TDMA so there GSM coverage has to be just as good if not better than there TDMA coverage.

6. t720

t720 Senior Member

Yes, especially with the addition of GSM 850, AT&T's coverage will not only cover more area, but will penetrate through buildings better. [​IMG]

7. EdRiv1216

EdRiv1216 Junior Member

I have the Panasonic GU87 but before you say it's the phone I just want to mention that I have 3 different friends who also have AT&T GSM with different model phones and they also have the same problem with signal in certain parts of NYC so I know its not my phone model that's causing the problem.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When AT&T launches GSM at 800Mhz in NYC it will blow everyone else....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    yup. verizons got a run for the money if they go 800 mhz. well not right away but over some time

10. EdRiv1216

EdRiv1216 Junior Member

When will AT&T launch GSM at 800Mhz in NYC? Any Ideas?

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    At the pace they are going, maybe next year. But I don't know.