Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

will a Japanese phone with verizon?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by lucky16duckie, Jun 27, 2006.

1. lucky16duckie

lucky16duckie New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    hi
    I want to buy an Okwap phone but have Verizon as my plan. On sites I have searched I see that T-Mobile and Cingular work with Japanese phones, but there is no mention of Verizon. If anyone knows anything about this please tell me :biggrin: . Or if you know a website that could help that would be great! Thank you so much

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    To have a Verizon phone it needs to be unlocked and work on CDMA.

3. lucky16duckie

lucky16duckie New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8000
    thank you for responding:) , but i dont understand.:confused: to buy my okwap phone, i need to unlock it in order to use it with verizon?

4. LowTech

LowTech Junior Member

first it needs to be a cdma phone. Secondly it needs to use the 850 and 1900 mhz frequencies. and lastly it needs to be unlocked. It will still probably be very difficult to use it with verizon. vzw might require the phone to be e911 capable.

for t-mobile and cingular you need a gsm phone that is unlocked. It needs to be 850 and 1900 mhz for cingular and for t-mobile it needs to be 1900 mhz.

5. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LowTech - no 'might' about it. VZW will not activate ANY phone that lacks e911 capability.

Lucky16duckie - Welcome to WA. I'm afraid that you'd be facing an uphill battle with your Japanese phone, because even IF the phone meets all of the qualifications LowTech laid out (850/1900, CDMA, e911 capable), VZW will probably still refuse to activate it, because the phone doesn't run their software (or software that they've approved/tested). There have been rare cases where VZW subscribers have been able to sneak non-VZW phones through on the online ESN changer, but in those instances, they've been phones from Sprint or Alltel whose ESN numbers are a close match for a series of phones currently available on VZW (the RAZR, some Nokias, some smartphones, etc.) Imports are an incredibly hard sell. Sorry - but better you find this out now than after you spend the money to get the phone imported!

(BTW - GSM carriers like Cingular & T-Mobile can handle import phones with no problem in part because GSM phones utilize a SIM card, which stores subscriber data - the phone number lives on the card, not on the phone, so you can have a different phone for every day of the week, if you wanted. So as long as an import phone has the 850/1900 frequencies for the US and the phone is unlocked, it'll work on a US GSM carrier.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    The days of getting a non-VZW fone activated are over.
    VZW now will not activate any CDMA fone who's ESN is not in their database, even for example, the exact same CDMA model (such as a RAZR), but made for another CDMA carrier such as Sprint or US cellular or Alltel. ...
    They even closed the "loophole" that allowed you to get around it with the Online ESN changer ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. md714

md714 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    yeah im almost positive that almost no japanese phone would even be able to be activated by verizon, even if they would activate one, which they wouldn't. also, im fairly certain that most of japan (if not all) operates on a GSM network and im also fairly certain (correct me if im wrong) that CDMA is limited pretty much to the US and some parts of mexico and canada.