Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Will 8260 in London?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Shekie2000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Shekie2000

Shekie2000 New Member

Hello everyone. I go back and forth to NY and London for school. I can't afford an expensive phone, (plus my phone was stolen in the UK in Dec)so I use a prepaid simcard back in London. I'm back in NY and planning on buying a Nokia 8260 from ebay, since it's dual band, I'll just unlock it. Then I will get a prepaid US sim. So, I can swith my sim, when I switch countries? Does this sound logical? And how do I unlock the 8260? Can I do it myself with the cable? or is it a hardware or chip issue. Thank you for your help!

PS. The 8265 looks good...but will it work in the UK, even though its TDMA?

2. butterguy

butterguy New Member

Dude...i do exactly the same you do except I'm in Cardiff while in the Uk and in the DC metro area while in the US. I have an 8260 back home and I can tell you, they are not SIM ready as far as I can remember. Well i did have it from ATT and i know they lock their phones. I can't stress you that having a GSM phone might be an advantage to you and give u great peace of mind. At least u won't run into problems. Depending on how long you are going to be in the UK, you should get a phone on contract there, you will be able to afford a "more expensive" phone since the price get subsidized. Anyways. I m not sure but i don't think they have TDMA in the UK...someone correct me if i'm wrong?

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Noka 8260 is a TDMA phone and will NOT work in the UK. You'll need a World Band GSM phone for it to work in the US and overseas.

4. Shekie2000

Shekie2000 New Member

But, I thought the 8260 phone was both TDMA and GSM, unlike the 8265. So the 8260 phone won't work in London? Because someone promised me, it would work in the UK...since it was dual band. lol..I'm confused.

Plus the 8260 Nokia website says :

Service :
    DualBand / TriMode TDMA 1900/800 and Tuned AMPS (Analog)

Or I'm I misunderstanding something.

5. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

The 8260 is dual band, but the bands it covers are 800 and 1900 MHz, which are both US frequencies. So, even if it did have GSM (which it doesn't), it still woudln't work in the UK.

You need a tri-band GSM phone that has (at least) 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz. 900 and 1800 are used in europe (and just about everywhere outside north america) and 1900 will be enough for NYC. some 800 MHz GSM is being deployed in the US now, but 1900 is more widespread, and there aren't any quad-band phones (yet).

6. RyanM

RyanM Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T / Cingular Wireless [GSM]
    Are you sure you didnt get a 8290? That's gsm, however i think that might be like 1900mhz and 800mhz. Dont know.

7. dallison

dallison Senior Member

buy the siemens s46, it will work in london. i have had a cust use the fon in the us and london. it does work well

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The 8260 is a 800/1900 TDMA phone. UK only has networks in the 900/1800 bands using GSM. Therefore, US phones will NOT work there unless they include GSM at 900Mhz or 1800Mhz. I believe AT&T S46 includes a GSM international band.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Your right, it has GSM 900 for europe and GSM 1900 for the US.