Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wilkes-Barre / Scranton PA Signal Quality

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kida, Jul 31, 2002.

1. kida

kida New Member

I'm currently with AT&T and trying to decide if I should stay. AT&T has some bad spots in both Mountain Top and the Back Mountain.

I tried my friends Verizon phone and seemed to get better reception. Any opinions on the best carrier in Luzerne County?

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If his/her verizon works better then switch

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

All I know is that my relatives in Mountaintop have ATT and they get good service as did I when I was there. Voicestream was weak.

4. kida

kida New Member

The problem is Verizon does not have a number that is local to Mountain Top (where I live). They have a Trucksville and Pittston number but no Wilkes-Barre. Which seems odd since they provide local service for Wilkes-Barre. Also, their Trucksville numbers do not support caller id.

I definitely notice a clearer connection on Verizon. Is that due to more cell towers or CDMA vs. TDMA? But I cant make a regional toll call everytime I call my cell phone. Nextel?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jack, that was not helpful

6. jason

jason Member

Hmm - That area S of WB is pretty hilly - I do know ATT has a tower over at Bear Creek at the WB Exit on I-476. I can tell you for the experience I've had in Southern Luzerne (more along I-80 and Berwick etc.) and in WB Scranton metro, I've had pretty good luck.

If VZW has a site which is more favorably located, they might be your best bet - assuming you can pay the toll charges.

Personally, I think ATT has a better overall system in NE PA than VZW, but that's just my opinion. Sprint and Voicestream I'd stay away from. Nextel - well - I'd be careful and see if I could get a trial which I could return if I didn't like my coverage.

jason

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizion has a regional plan that lets you call all of pennsylvania, deleware and new jersey........

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Unfortunately Verizon cant give me a number local to my home phone. WHats up with that? No WIlkes-Barre number?