Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Wifi Calling

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by selbyseminole52, Jun 23, 2008.

1. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I saw something that it drops the speed of the fax real slow and even then it may terminate in the middle of the fax call.

2. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I tried it, the fax wouldn't complete, the machine gets the call as soon as the data starts to transfer the call stops

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    is this a T-Mobile thing? or a VoIP thing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I think its a VoIP thing but I am definately not a technician so I don't know for sure.

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    simply because I read that Vonage distributes fax lines

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AudioPro

AudioPro New Member

Tmobileman,

let me bring up a point about the router and faxes and then another point I hope you can answer....

If the router has two lines and we know that the router is optimized for voice and we know that fax is data...is it not possible to configure one side of the router for data (leaving the other line configured for voice), thereby making the fax machine "see" a happier more data-like signal?

Second issue....
    I've got ATT for land line and DSL, bundled together. I absolutely hate them and their rotten customer service and billing practices (I've had the service almost a year and have never had a bill for the amount I was initially quoted). I want to drop their landline and get the @ Home service for the extra $10 added onto my TMobile monthly bill. Will this allow me to also access the TMoblie Hotspots? If so, will I be using from my bucket of minutes? I'm on the 600 minutes personal Value plan, so don't have a lot of minutes to play with each month (unemployed, but looking).

Also, I live "down in the holler" as they say in Tennessee. My coverage is good if I stand in one particular spot outside the house on the deck. Will the @Home wireless router act as an antenna/signal booster for my cellphone, so that if a call comes in I don't have to rush out to the "magic zone" on the deck before I try to connect to the call?

What will having both @Home and Unlimited Hotspot plans get me that just one plan would not? also, I don't have any data plan at all at this time, so if I wanted to surf the web from a new Blackberry 8320 could I do that on one or the other plan without getting charged anything at all?

i've read a ton of your posts and it is great to know that there is a real TMobile CSM on here that is just as much a junkie about cell phones as many others on here are.

T-Mobile ROCKS! I very rarely have problems with the service (except in my house) and the billing is always correct-every month!

7. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Yeah man I feel your pain, let me attempt to answer all of your questions, first thing first the fax thing yes it is possible but you have to have two sim cards in the router to use two lines,

Now down to business, if you sign up for the @home service with the Hiport router you will get a landline phone with either your existing number or a new one for 10.00 per month this is unlimited calling and LD. The Router is the best of both worlds so it does support the unlimited hotspot calling if you have a capable device..i.e.. new Blackberry 8320 (curve) if you don't have one yet call now and renew your contract get the gold one it's 99.99 today the Titanium is 149.99 (more popular) with a 2 yr contract. if you do have the device then yes the router will give you a lot better signal down in the holler.
    Now for how you'll be billed if you get the hotspot at home phone, BB Curve, then sign up for the 9.99 unlimited calling then you're not using your plan min while in range of any wifi connection that your phone will pull a signal from. Calls are billed as they originate so if you make a call at home and then get in your vehicle and leave home it will still be unlimited for you until you hang up and register and make your next call while registered on a tower. This only works if you pay the 9.99 addtion to your 39.99 plan for the unlimited hotspot calling. So here is what your acct would look like for billing

39.99 600 wth nights and weekends + 9.99 unlimited hotspot calling, second line 10.00 per month for tmobile @home landline phone.

now for your question about the data, don't sign up for the data until you can afford it (good luck job hunting) while your in range of your router, you can set up your BB Curve on the router and get high speed WiFi access on it and you're not billed for data that way because you're using your network not ours. Good way to save a buck, only downfall of not having the data is that when you're on the go you won't be able to get online unless you can get on an unencrypted WiFi connection somewhere, (and yes they are everywhere). Hope this helps
    FYI I am typing this from my dash at home right now while connected the same router so I know it works for data.
    :cheers2:

#37 tmobileman, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. skone01

skone01 New Member

I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add what I've observed, according to 'my t-mobile' using a wi-fi phone in Mexico. I do not have @home service.

When I connect and call the US using a local network, I pay the international roaming of $1.49 and the minutes are not charged.

When I connect to a wi-fi network, the T-mobile identifier appears on my phone and I am not charged the international roaming. The minutes are subtracted from my plan.

Is the calling detail shown in my t-mobile the final interpretation, or will t-mobile come back sometime later and charge me international rates for connecting via wi-fi in Mexico?

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    technically it shouldn't really matter......the only reason they charge you fees for International roaming is the massive charges that T-Mobile receives from the foreign carriers.....if you're on WiFi it's almost as if you're still in the country......and the companies with femtocells well they technically aren't licensed to be used in other countries......it would be illegal correct? so I was thinking that If I were to ever go to New Zealand and I wanted affordable calls home I could just apply for Vonage and take the adapter over

10. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    From what I understand, the paid @home service gives you unlimited calling using wi-fi, otherwise the standard procedure is to use your plan minutes. They should not come back and change your Mexico wi-fi minutes to international rates. I believe a number of people use wi-fi calling to save money when they're in Europe or deployed in Afghanistan, etc.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    and how would they be able to determine location??? i mean i realize you can map the IP address to a geographic location but the IP address is registered to a data center so it could say you're international when you're simply in New Mexico and IP addresses are registered to a system in Mexico.......at the same time Mexico might be using U.S.-based IP addresses

IP address mapping isn't reliable yet....so how do they do something like that if they do at all

12. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Here is what a customer once told me, I don't recommend it, but this guy swore it worked. He has the unlimited hotspot calling feature when he travels to Europe and India what he does is he will find a WiFi source, wait for the UMA indicator on his curve to show, then he makes a call. This is where it gets tricky...calls are "supposed to be" billed as they originate so he then leaves the WiFi range and stays connected on the call for as long as he likes even though the call is transferred to international carrier's towers he is not charged for roaming as the call has to be billed as it originates. That is how he says it works for him, swears by it, now on the other side I have seen customers call in and be PISSED that their bills are hundreds of dollars because they also tried this but it did not work which is why I do not recommend it. I believe this will work with some international carriers, but not with all because the towers are still reporting a foreign connection and billing the service provider some catch it some don't too risky for me.

#42 tmobileman, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    this sounds interesting but the whole WiFi calling in general can save a lot of money with T-Mobile.......the con of it is that only certain phones support it......on the other hand all the other carriers are using femtocells that you can't take out of the country cuz the GPS fix locks them down