Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why would anyone get the Jitterbug service and phone?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Telekom, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    I saw or hear a reference to this product www.jitterbug.com and seeing it I am to be mild about it quite underwhelmed. They want $147 for a phone that has pretty much zero features. I understand the thing about big buttons and simplicity, but it's making like seniors are totally stupid is silly. Any simple phone will cost them less than that and allow them a lot more flexibility. Even getting a Nokia 1100 or equivalent Moto would be easy. How hard is it to flip open the phone press the numbers you want to 'dial' and press the green send/talk button?

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    My grandma has has a cingular pre-paid GSM phone for quite some time now. She has never had any problems using it, though she really dosent use it much at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Same with my Grandma. I put here on T-Mobile ToGo and she has no problem using her Nokia 3390. :)

4. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Ironwalt's v3c: MOT-GATW_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.112 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

My 68 year old mother has a alltel e815 and uses the phone part all the time. Its her only phone and loves it. But she is lost on everything else that the phone can do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    It doesn't surprise me that your mom loves the E815...after all, it is quite big. ;)

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I actually saw an ad on TV for Jitterbug a few weeks ago. Apparently you can call the "operator" and have them add numbers to your phone book for you, and stuff like that. I have even heard on other forums that their phones even have a "dial tone". The way I see it though, if my Dad can learn how to use a Treo, my Uncle has a V3, and Mom has an L2, then old people can cope with these newfangled phones...

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Very interesting. I wonder how the operator would be able to go into your phone book and add/delete entries. Also, how is carrier possible to deliver a dial tone to the handset where the user dials like on a landline?

8. billp

billp Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX8300/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

They also have a regular dial phone i also see no problem with a tone when phone is open the phones are over priced but they have roll over

9. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have a service that lets me update my phone book online. I'm sure the operator could do something like that. But as for the dial tone, I'm not sure.

10. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: MOT-RAZRV3xx/96.71.95R BER2.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; 11063081) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Opera 8.00 [en] UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

whatever works i guess.

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    My guess is that the phone generates its own dial tone when flipped open if there is service present.

12. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think so, too. What I found quite interesting is that if you go through their online demo, the phone in the picture doesn't look at all like Jitterbug phone — or do I need glasses?

13. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):

I don't know whether Jitterbug uses a GSM or CDMA provider, but for GSM providers at least they can send the name and number to your handset OTA. T-Mobile has this service. In the past I've used it but it so easy to add numbers on my phone all I have to do is key in the number and the message is default 'save' which will save the number and give it the name that you provide. Depending on whether you save to the SIM or phone memory it's easy to add names and numbers.

14. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have a "dock" for my cellphone that lets me use regular phones when I'm home. It's Cellsocket which gives me a faux dial tone that I key the numbers and hit the "#" key to complete calls (like a send key.) Since I don't have a traditional land line at home it works well for me so I don't have to schlep the phone with me all over the apartment so I can answer it while I'm in the bathroom taking a shower (I have a fone in the bathroom!)

15. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)

I could be wrong, but I thought that Jitterbug was a division of Sprint... ?? But I honestly don't know what Sprint runs off of.... :confused:

~*Ash*~

16. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Sprint runs off of CDMA

17. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    From Wikipedia: Jitterbug Wireless is a mobile virtual network operator wireless carrier formed by GreatCall. They plan to offer a wireless service catered to senior citizens, a segment of the U.S. population that carriers have had little success in penetrating. Their first phone, the Samsung A120, has an oversize keypad, a cushioned earpiece, and even makes a dial tone noise when opened, making it more user friendly for those who may have never used a cell phone before. Two models of the phone are available -- one operates as a standard cell phone, while the other only has three buttons: one to dial an operator, one to dial 911, and a button to dial a personalized number.

The company has begun advertising its service nationally. Jitterbug uses the Sprint Nextel CDMA network.

I knew I'd heard that somewhere...

~*Ash*~

18. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

Eeeew...

15 character limit...)

19. frostypo

frostypo New Member

I just got my jitterbug today (it's charging right now), and I'm very pleased. I'm hoping this will work for my husband who is legally blind. Many of us do not want to play videos, audios, surf the net etc on our phones. We just want to make a darn call! I notice many posters saying their grandma has one of the other phones and does just fine. Then they add that she doesn't use it much. That's because of all the other stuff on there. I am really pleased with this phone, and the price will definitely be worth it if I use it a lot (which I plan to). I love the feel of it and the fact that it has a dial tone. I am 70 years old, and I do not feel the phone or advertising is an insult to older people.

20. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think they even used a Jitterbug cell phone on the Lexus "December to Remember" TV commercial. After the guy's wife hangs up on him he gets a dial tone on his cell! (I know I'm a dork for noticing that).

-Jay

21. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Yes ,but are you getting your moneys worth on the phone or is it a marketing gimmick to seniors? I am a product of the 1950's with friends your age who enjoy advanced phones. They seem to enjoy smart phones, bluetooth etc. Some people will also enjoy the option of no frills, that is who the marketing targets. Many other older high end users want it all.

22. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I agree. My dad is retiring in 2 months and he is torn between getting a V3xx or a Tilt.. You really can't get more high end features than what a Tilt offers. Mom on the other hand has a Motorola L2 and absolutely loves it. The L2 is pretty basic, doesn't even have a camera but its small and looks cool. I keep telling her I could set up the voice dialing for her, but she doesn't even use that.

-Jay

23. frostypo

frostypo New Member

Sure, a lot of people want the frills, but it's nice that at least one phone comes along without the frills. My husband, who is legally blind, finds the new frills harder and harder for him to use. I am already loving this phone, and am so glad I have the option. I especially like the way it feels; that it fits from ear to mouth and still is not that much bigger than the others. And I don't want the internet on my cell phone, that's why I bought a large monitor for my computer. I don't want the frills. I just want to make a damn phone call without going through a whole lot of bells and whistles.

We each can be happy as we have our options.

24. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No one is forcing anyone to use features they don't want to use. All phones can make and take calls pretty forthrightly. Most every phone I've ever seen you just key in numbers and press send.

25. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I can understand that. Nobody is forcing anyone to use any feature they don't want to. I've been trying to get mom to use voice dialing for almost a year and a half now and she still does not even try, even though there is a dedicated voice dial button on the side of the phone. I tell her its easier than looking up the number in the contacts list, just push the button and say "Maria" and it will call Maria. how simple is that? I think its just that the higher end phones have all those extra buttons and menu selections for features that they don't understand and don't want to use just make it confusing. I'm sure come upgrade time she will probably get a Motorola V3 in pink, but I can guarantee she won't use the camera. If the camera is used at all it will be the grandkids playing with her phone.

-Jay

26. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Sprint offers their voice dialing system as well as free 411 calls to anyone who is certified as being visually impaired or has another disability that makes dialing difficult. I know Verizon does something like that too, and I'm sure other providers offer the service. By the way, I'm 66 and have a Touch and too many other toys to mention, including two electric wheelchairs and a couple of mobility scooters. - sheureka

27. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    It seems that there is a market for a large button phone with a large number display.

Is this the same folks who have a button to push so that they can say" I've fallen and I can't get up!"

Perhaps the display could be made the length of the phone?
    I am sure the technology will catch up with the need soon.

28. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I love the commericals for them. They make me lol.

29. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Don't feel bad. I've tried to explain to my dad how easy it is to either do text messages or enter calendar entries using predictive text, but he won't budge and since his older handset only had multi-tap that's what he uses. I feel great that he finally decided to use the calendar reminders feature after I showed him how useful it would be for him (since he is getting older and doesn't always remember appointments etc.)

30. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No, That's life Alert.

Most PDA phones and Smartphones already have this feature.

-Jay