Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why Verizon?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by foreverLaur, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Hearsay doesn't mean much in the long run. Unless you have tried Sprint or T-Mobile where you would normally use the service you're making an unfair assumption. People have said this over and over and it still remains true that a service does not work the same for everyone. That's not hard to believe since people live and work and use their service in different areas. If all services worked the same everywhere no one would have a problem and could just pick a service for which phones they carrried or which had the better pricing for their product. Reality doesn't work that way though.

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I agree & that's why I said I try to be Open when I post information and usually get my information on other carriers from family & friends that I know won't steer me wrong on what they tell me. I agree that everyones experience is different with each carrier.
    If you ever notice I won't say the only carrier to use is Cingular, but will recommend other carriers from what I hear & have read here & at other forums.

Again, I am planning on trying Sprint & even may get a SIM card from T-Mobile to test it to get more information on there service around here.

3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I am doing a similar thing... I have 3 prepaid products: the LG AX4270 on Alltel, the K9 on Virgin Mobile, and Nokia 6010 on TMobile... I may get Beyond wireless Sim (and pop it into my unlocked Nokia) or a Cingular prepaid phone to test Cingular service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #63 QLR, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  4. operasam

operasam New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon came along at the right time back in 2000 just as AT&T, who was king of the wireless carriers back then, began to suffer from network issues. Verizon was actually a group of Baby Bell spin-offs that merged together to offer a higher quality wireless network. Sprint was just getting its network started and, because they were using PCS technology, took a bit longer to get built out than Verizon (which uses the 800mhz frequency and needs fewer towers). There was an explosion of people signing up for wireless usage during this period and Verizon simply offered a higher quality network at the right time.
    I agree Sprint is at least as good a product and a far better value. The plan I have with Sprint would cost twice as much with Cingular or Verizon. I have coverage everywhere I need it but Sprint has, unfortunately, been unable to shake the poor reputation acquired during their early years. Verizon's reputation is far better and thus they can charge more.
    When I signed up with Sprint in '01 they, and AT&T, were the only wireless carriers that offered a nationwide network. The Baby Bell spin-offs that had formed Verizon had not yet forged roaming agreements with each other so calling from outside your home area with Verizon incurred roaming charges. Sprints plans were far cheaper than AT&T's at that point so I went with them.

5. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

6. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    This is all true in history, but I think the OP was more curious as to why people continue to flock to Verizon today.

But in any event, I thought nobody liked the baby bells because they resulted from a monopoly and had a reputation for drastically overcharging people because they had no competition and going to congress on multiple occasions to increase their profit percentage. But then they all merge, and everybody likes Verizon all of a sudden. It just seems so strange to me also that everybody seems to carry a VZW phone.

Sprint offers a good deal and is a far better value but the fact that they exclusively use the PCS band means that they regularly lose signal in many urban locations in buildings where other providers don't and don't even bother building in more rural areas. T-Mobile suffers from the same thing and Cingular's rates are very high. Alltel is probably the best deal out there, even better than Sprint IMO. They give more minutes for the price and have MyCircle. Alltel also usually has great coverage because they're not exclusively in the PCS band and they pay attention to rural areas much more than VZW.

But the thing is people flock to Verizon because it's what everybody else has. Peer pressure is a great motivator even more than IN calling. It's sort of like having an X-Box. If all your friends have the new toy, the new machine, or the new game, you want it too. That is what most people base their buying decisions on. VZW got in on the ground floor and everybody who has wanted a phone since then, has known somebody with Verizon. Alltel and Sprint are the better deal and offer better coverage in many areas. Heck, other providers can build out better networks than VZW which happens frequently and offer better deals which is also true, but they've all got a tough road ahead to out-compete a combination of the baby bells and Vodafone, the largest telecommunications company in the world in terms of perception and advertising.

I'm interested in seeing how things will be 10 yrs from now. Will VZW be a monopoly? They are almost the largest now and are growing the fastest. Will Sprint shake the bad rep, and maybe put up some 800 MHz tower to help coverage or will they just drag Nextel down along with them? And most of all, how will Alltel play out in the long-term even though they are 1/5 the customer base of VZW now. Can they eventually challenge VZW with their better coverage and prices? Or will they unable to expand to many more metro areas and remain the best example of a glorified regional provider that offers great coverage, but unable to compete in many more markets because they still can't get the licenses?

7. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Well, in 2 years we will be looking at Cricket and possibly dropping VZW.

My son just went over to Cricket and he has UNLIMITED:

calls,
    email,
    txt messaging,
    pic messaging.

There was no credit check, no contract.

All that was required was to buy the phone. He got the V3M unlocked for $299.

8. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Re: Why Sprint Nextel?

Bad news for you, until they actualy convert the all the Nextel towers to CDMA. Sprint does not have the largest voice calling area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pipmaster1971

pipmaster1971 New Member

I was almost going to switch to VZW, except they have no coverage in my office :-( ...However, one advantage they have, especially in New England are the combined "cell phone + DSL + wireline phone + satellite TV" packages.

10. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    That's great, however, Sprint doesn't have the largest network. Roaming partners don't count. Especially since you will be terminated if you spend to much time off the Sprint network. The largest network claim can only be made by natively covered area. That title as of now belongs to Alltel. For population covered Sprint's native network may hold that title though....

They do have a larger EVDO network then anyone else right now.

Are you related to Jones? :)

11. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL

It also has the Trenchcoat guy!!!!!

12. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel

What does this even mean?
    Liberal usage of the phrase"choosing to get things done."
    Again, I don't really know what these mean either. :loony:

:lol: This was joking around btw. No intent to actually degrade Sprint. Sprint does need to work on better CS and it's tough to cover a lot of their area well considering they are limited to the PCS band. A lot of people I know with Sprint are always complaining of dropped calls in buildings, even in metro areas. No provider is without problems but you are right. Most of it is advertising and a brainwashed public that keeps going to Verizon.

13. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Sure their ads have helped a lot, but undoudebtly Verizon has a strong network in most areas around the country. Quality wise, I have found the Verizon network to perform about the same good quality around the country where I've been. Verizon also, unlike most other carriers, has emergency preparations made across their networks. I have yet to see ONE Verizon cellsite that does not have an emergency generator/backup...Have I ever seen a Sprint site with a generator??? Don't think so.

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

And that is not brainwashing as you call it or things off the Sprint website to make them sound better than everyone else? Every carrier tries to "brainwash" as you call it and make themselves look better. I saw a Cingular ad in yesterday's USA Today that was comparing Cingular to Sprint. It said things like Cingular has the largest broadband network in the U.S., Cingualr has the fastest broadband network in the U.S., Cingular's broadband network can handle voice/data simultaneously, Cingular has the largst calling area, etc. etc....every carrier does it.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint does not have the most natively covered POPs, that's Cingular.