Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why Verizon?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by foreverLaur, Aug 15, 2006.

1. wirewatcher88

wirewatcher88 New Member

After 5 years of service I was very very dissapointed in what I deem to be a "Deceptive" direct mailing marketing scheme that was recently sent out in the northern Calif region and possibly others. What it is : MY wife & I activated 2 lines on the same day under both our names with the same exact calling plans about 1/ 1/2 years ago. Recently we received a "Love me letter" from Verizon stating we had achieved "Merits Status" for being exceptional customers and as a result could upgrade our phones early and have camera phones etc . with a host of new ammenities. We get to the Verizon store after planning to get our new phones only to find that VERIZON will only allow one of us to activate a new phone with the $100 discount but the other would have to pay!!! We only became aware of this after we called an 800 number and were told by the store manager. NOWHERE on the mailer does it state that only one phone is eligible and in fact at the bottom in small print it says no more than 5 phones eligible. This is tantamount to false advertising and I know they figure most people will just pay the extra $100 once they are their . Not us . We are now going to discontinue Verizon as soon as the plan expires. very mad since verizon used to be an honorable company. WW88

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I get 20% off each month so it is not bad for me

3. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

No discount here.

4. foreverLaur

foreverLaur Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    my dad works for lockheed martin so we get 20% off too. quite nice. we also get 35% off dell computers + free shipping. so needless to say we've got a lot of dells :)

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Actually, since the merger of Cingular and ATT two years ago or more, Cingular is number 1 in # of subscribers, followed by Verizon.

And Cingular and Tmobile are part of GSM technology, which has worldwide subcribers in the Billions, making it the dominant wireless technology by a huge margin.

So the whole wide world, as you say, is part of Cingular's GSM technology currently. And in the US, Cingular is the dominant carrier, by a few million users over Verizon. Times have changed.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    On Family Share Plans, it is known that only the primary lines gets the $100 off New Every 2 credit. Verizon has not hidden that fact anywhere. Should VZW give you another $100 off a new phone price for new customers if you are just paying $9.99 per line??? Go ahead and switch, see how other carriers treat you...some are now looking at if you are profitable enough for them as to whether or not to give you a discounted rate for a phone...Good Luck!!!

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I know I have seen this mentioned on their web site & in their fliers that only the primary phone on a family share plan is allowed this discount.

I can't say for sure about Cingular since I have a FAN account & can get a discount on the other phones, But I am 99% positive they have the same rule, that only the primary line gets the discount on a new phone.

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    If I understand the discussion, no, Cingular does not have the same rule as Verizon.

With Cingular's Family plans, everyone gets new phones every 1.6months, even if paying only $9.99 per extra line. The phones are priced the same as for a new customer discount: many $0 or $99 for the more popular Razr, for example. The on-line prices are ususally the best.

I have three lines, one primary @ $59. and two at $9.99. I been through 3 cycles of free or discounted replacement phones for each line.

Also, there is no time limit when to take the offer. I'm rubbing my eyes this early in the morning, but here is the Verizon statement. Is this true? My wife waited more than 1 year before she would let me upgrade her Cingular phone. There was no problem doing that.

From Verizon's web page:

"If you enrolled in the program on or after 11/25/02, you must take advantage of the New Every Two offer within six months of becoming eligible; otherwise, you may be charged full retail price to upgrade your current handset. Discount amount will be applied toward the two-year Customer Agreement retail price. Secondary Family SharePlan® lines are not eligible to participate in the program. The New Every Two discount cannot exceed the price of the phone after rebates."

As someone would say, "That's terrible, Verizon!!!"

9. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just saw this and wanted to comment on the saturation, it's already begun, saturation has reached peek in city area's, hence the large amount of coverage upgrades in more rural area's to attract customers that previously were incapable of getting cellphone service, once the networks are completely built out the price of service will bottom out to meet what's already happening in europe (free incoming, cheap text plans, and large minutes) the only real transition left now is for mobile plans to actually compete with home plans. Don't get me wrong I have more friends who only have cell phones (largely due to the fact that both services aren't neccessary) but when my cingular bill for monthly calling drops to 30 dollars then I feel the home market will trully have a run for the money and the few remaining people without cells or on prepay "Emergency" phones will have full fledged service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    To be fair free incoming calls have long been a feature of European telecommunications. I'm not sure if the mobile networks ever charged for incoming calls, but if they did I doubt they implemented free incoming calls because of saturation levels. It's more likely that any such move (if there was one) was more to do with people simply being used to free incoming phone calls.

I should also point out that European networks aren't necessarily better value for money than American networks. The American networks seem to give more free minutes and more texts although one could argue that this is offset by charges for incoming calls/texts.

This is only partly to do with saturation in my opinion. If one wants to offer a mobile phone as a replacement for a home phone one needs to have coverage levels that are at near blanket levels to ensure good service. One cana rgue that mobile networks might also have to look at providing broadband services in the home too, to compete with the traditional phone companies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My point on it is, once saturation happens providers will start to offer expanded services in order to compete and attract new customers and/or those lagging behind without a cell phone.

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I really don't think we are at the saturation levels in the City area's yet, we are close but it's going to take at least another 3+ years. I do agree most non wireless users are in the more rural area's, but that gap is slowly closing as well. I know in my area a lot of people have moved from the City/Urban/Suburban area's to more rural area's and use their cells more due to traveling & rely on them.

As for prices dropping to compete with the landline market, It may be a while before this happens but when it does, I will be ready to get a cheaper plan with more minutes & SMS.

13. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile

That rule that you put there I have not seen applied yet to anyone I know with VZW. My aunt just upgraded after 3.5 years and still got her NE2 credit wihtout even asking for it...
    Also, yes, the primary lines are the lines that get the additional $100 OFF the reatail price that new customers get and secondary lines get the retail price that new customers would pay so I'm not sure how this is so "terrible" as you stated. With Cingular now if I roam too much or whatever and am not profitable enough I may not see a good upgrade price...that's not terrible, eh?

14. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    I would generally agree with that analysis. As someone else pointed out though, I don't think the U.S. is necessarily close to saturation levels at the moment. I can't comment upon the saturation levels of city vs countryside because I'm not familiar enough with that, but I believe the U.S. as a whole stands at around 60-70% in terms of mobile phone saturation. This is relatively low for a First World country and it doesn't seem to be super accelerating as far as I can see.

15. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    True but it's just like public transportation, the US doesn't have the Population density of other first world country's such as Germany, the UK, France, etc. But with more and more focus being on the city's and suburbs at least within that market it's already starting, take for example MetroPC's unlimited service offering in the large metro area's, granted it sucks once you leave the area but it's a start in that direction.

16. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    Population density isn't necessarily holding America back though. The actual number of handsets sold largely depends upon demand, with coverage following demand although I suppose one could argue that demand can follow coverage.

If a large minority of Americans simply don't have any interest in owning a mobile phone saturation levels won't increase and coverage can become stilted.

I'm not so sure the public transport analogy is accurate. For example, European cities may have extensive transportation networks due to several factors. For one the city might be ancient and wasn't necessarily designed with cars in mind e.g. no grid system, narrow roads, etc. Another is that it might be more expensive to run a car in some countries than it is in America. Also, a city like London is a vast sprawl with a distributed population, which has to tarvel to various points around that sprawl.

In terms of national transport infrastructure, a country like Japan has a better train system than the U.S. because of Japan's size, not necessarily its population density. It is probably more efficient for American to fly between cities than it is to travel by train.

17. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree about the efficiency to fly, but my point on population density is still valid, there are large sections of land where the density is say, 1 person for 4 acres of land or more here in the states, where a single tower may support say 60 to 100 people which is cause for the cellphone companies not to really care about that area. Hence blanket coverage here in the states is going to take some time.

18. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    I think we have to seperate saturation from coverage here. Blanket coverage is not the same as saturation. Indeed, there are parts of the UK with little or no coverage e.g. parts of the Highlands, some islands, etc, but the saturation level is around 113%. Of course 99.9% of the population is covered by coverage of some sort, but the point is that blanket geographic coverage is not necessar for a high saturation level.

The U.S. could probably have a saturation level of over 100% without 100% geographic coverage. The crucial factor is demand; people have to want a mobile and arguably more than one. I currently have two mobiles, which I use on a regular basis and I imagine multiple handsets are not confined to business. Some people may simply like to have a smaller handset for going out in the evening.

19. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    This might be a slightly different issue but when I added a line to my account 2 months into my contract. They gave me the discounted priced on a new Moto E815 as if I was signing a new 2 yr contract even though they didn't even extend my current one. But this was with Alltel and not Verizon. So it's not true that every carrier only offers a discount on the phone for a primary line even if Cingular only does it for certain customers.

Also just had to point out how hilarious this statement is. You were being a real rebel by going with the largest, most corporate cellular provider that it seems like pretty much everybody else has in the entire country. Sorry dude, you're a conformist!! :biggrin: ;) :rotfl:

20. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon

just about all motorola will block calls that are not in the phone book. :biggrin:

21. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Yes, but VZW took it upon theirselves to take this function off the V3m phone and the only way to get it back is to SEEM it.

22. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    thats just plain sorry of verizone.all of these carriers that disable features that are built into cellular phones need to be taken to court. thats like a car dealer taking the jack out of the car that was shiped from the factory with a jack and then chargeing you to come change a tire. :mad:

23. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Call me whatever you want... Sorry, but I had to go with the one that works for me. I have always had issues with each company I've tried (Sprint, Alltel, Cingular, T-mobile) and VZW has the fewest issues for me. I like having relatively painless service that works wherever I go.

24. rwsrichard

rwsrichard Guest

Ditto here. I was with GTE, SWB, Cingular, T-Mobile and now Verizon. I have way-less problems with VZW than any of the others.

25. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I wasn't actually calling you that. It was in more of a joking way than anything. :p Sorry if that didn't come through. Everybody will have a different experience with each company depending on where they are and what customer service rep they happen to get on the phone.

But for the other providers, a lot changes can occur as far as coverage goes in a relatively short amount of time. Over the past couple years, probably since you've been with them, Alltel's and Sprint's coverage has dramatically improved as well as Alltel's customer service has improved as well. You just never know and everybody has a different experience.

26. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I guess I'm an ultra conformist, I chose cingular :p I've had my soso experiences with verizon in the past and I wanted a service where I could swap out phones without having to call cs and go through it with them, it had to be sim card based so. Further, in the backwoods area I live, cingular is the only one enhancing their network and I have signal in places my friends dont, last but not least I worked on the road for quite a while and the unlimited data plan was very appealing to me.

27. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    True that... I know people who were burned by VZW. I have an Alltel prepaid now (for Analog Capability) along with my VZW and service has improved with Alltel but I'm locked in with VZW and I like them. If Alltel provided native service in Atlanta (and not just 1 county) in addition to Tallahassee, I would have a Family share acct with them instead VZW. My issues with Sprint were dropped calls, equipment, and billing (I was calling CS every month). W/ Cingy, it was also billing and equipment. As for Tmo... coverage hasn't changed much since I came to Tallahassee. Nextel in my area isnt really an option because everyone I knew hated them and they all jumped ship because of billing and/or coverage.
    I dont love VZW but it gets the job done for me; hopefully everyone finds the company that does the same.

28. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Yup, it's just a different experience. Whenever I post, I try to be fair to VZW and anybody else. But my bad experience with them came at a point when I had their landline service, DSL, and cell plan and it wasn't even with VZWireless specifically. Apparently the network computers had us on a business plan with a router for DSL for about 6 months but nobody caught it. They tried to back-bill us for 6 months at twice the cost of personal DSL even though that's all we were using. After talking to customer service many times and getting through to some of the most inept people on the planet, I really got the feeling that Verizon just didn't care about providing customer oriented service even though we finally got the extra charges dropped. We switched to Adelphia for cable internet, kept VZ as a landline because that's the only option. And went to Alltel with the cell plan. It has been great in my area because the coverage is so much better and customer service is a great step up in my experiences, not to mention the prices and plans are usually better. Alltel and Verizon were the only options where I use to live so that's all I've tried at this point. But as I said before, each and every customer has a different experience.

29. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    As you said, I don't think you understand the situation.
    On Verizon's family share plan only the primary line is eligible for what is called New Every 2.
    However, and this is a big however, ALL the lines are eligible for promotional pricing for one or two year contracts. You can upgrade at promotional pricing 10 months into a 1yr contract and 22 months into a 2yr contract at whatever promotions are available to new customers at that time. There is no time limit to upgrade with Verizon. I have never taken advantage of NE2 in the past as the promotions have enabled me to get the phones I wanted at very good prices.

30. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, people can have an issue with different carriers & need to find the one that works the best for them.

The only carriers I haven't tried yet, because I have heard the horror stories are Sprint & T-Mobile, and for me Cingular/AT&T Wireless has always worked for me and when I tried Verizon they didn't work as well & I have Nextel from the County and they are not impressive at all.

I do try to be open when I post about other carriers, but sometimes can be biased due to my experiences with AT&T/Cingular.
    I may try Sprint just to have actual experience and be able to provide more factual information for this area of the country, but that won't be for a while.