Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why text message is not popular in America?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by RobCruz, Nov 14, 2002.

1. RobCruz

RobCruz Junior Member

People in Europe and Asia can't live without text message. They use txt message to keep in touch with their friends, news, send love notes, jokes, order food, request a song in a radio, have a reservation in a restaurant, let police know that there is an emergency, see the movie listings, street directions, send graphics to each other, schools use them to inform the parents that they're child is in trouble & they're cheap compare talking on the cell phone! However, in America it's rare that people txt. Verizon Wireless & AT&T Wireless spent millions of dollars advertising txt message on tv, billboard, radio & magazines but people in America would rather talk on their cell phone, rather than typing in those small buttons on the cell phone because they pay monthly on the service plan anyway and additonal free nights & weekends minutes. Why is that?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. pfp

pfp Senior Member

1: Americans want NOW. Think about a 40 minute conversation on a messaging client (AIM, ICQ, etc). This is a 5 minute conversation on the phone.

2: They're not cheap here. Cingular, .10/msg for EACH ONE sent/received if you don't have a package? And $3-10 for a package? Realistically for $5, you should be able to get unlimited.

There's a long discussion in this thread from a month or two ago where we discussed what text messages do/should cost users.

On a side note, every time I'd activated a phone in the last few days I was with cingular, a few txt messages showed up right off the bat to notify people that text messaging was available. I wonder if these were charged for...anyone know?

P

3. DjMaloy

DjMaloy New Member

When I had VoiceStream (T Mobile) the only thing i loved about it were the Txt Msg.
    The Best Thing when you are in class and can't talk [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But now I have Sprint and they make it sooo comlicated (you have to go to wireles web to retrive a msg ) that i lost interest [​IMG] and now i just waist my min

4. mikello

mikello New Member

I was told in Japan text messages are free.

5. MaTTK

MaTTK Junior Member

I think Asia and the world's greater reliance on mass transit also has impact. When sitting on a train/bus, everyone can't possible be talking on a phone (or wouldn't want to for privacy), but texting, being cheap and easy makes sense.

Matt