Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why Some People Shouldn't Get Cingular Service in NYC

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in NYC. I emailed Cingular to ask them how I would be able to use their service nationally if I got their GSM service in NYC. I travel for business and need national coverage at times.

Their answer..

"Thank you for contacting Cingular Wireless.

Technically, you will be in roam. Actually, in virtually all the areas
    outside the coverage area of the preferred network plan you will not
    have service.

We at Cingular Wireless appreciate your business and value you as a
    customer."

You have to appreciate their honesty! Maybe there will be some changes when/if they merge with Voicetream.

2. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Even though a merger with Voicestream would be at least a year away (at minimum ... assuming it even happens), it wouldn't really change the overall coverage area that you're getting now with Cingular. It's due to the fact that GSM isn't deployed to the extent that TDMA/Analog coverage is today. Sure, any major city or metro area will probably have some type of GSM coverage, but if you're driving between cities or if you spend some time in the suburbs, it's likely that GSM service is not going to meet your needs.

Of course, this is where you run into problems. If GSM service isn't going to work, what can you do? Cingular seems to lock their customers into GSM service if they live in a GSM market. Heck, the "Nation" plans aren't even available to you.

I guess we're just in a strange place technology-wise. They're trying hard to get GSM coverage equal to or better than TDMA/CDMA/Analog. But since they're not at that point yet, you'd think they would be willing to work with you more...

If you really like Cingular, you might try calling their customer service line to see if you can work something out. I've found their CSR reps to be reasonable and helpful ... maybe you'll find someone who will sell you a TDMA phone even though you're in a GSM market.

Of course, if Cingular doesn't work out, Verizon has pretty good coverage in NY and most of the East coast (they probably have good coverage throughout the US, but I'm not familiar with anything beyond PA).

Good luck,
    ATLguy

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't understand this, people get outraged when companies lie to them, but if they are honest then they complain. What gives?
    ATLguy is right. They told you the truth. The preferred network is basically all of Voicestream's US coverage because they own most of the US GSM network. So if you are outside Voicestream's network (or any other GSM carrier) then there is no service. If you want a TDMA phone you should give AT&T a try. The coverage you'll get with AT&T's TDMA phones is very good all over the US and it is the same you'll get with Cingular's TDMA phones because they roam into each other's networks. However, the only way you can get a TDMA phone from Cingular is if you go to a central/south Jersey store that is not linked to the NYC market and buy it there. But if you do this you will get an out of area number (central NJ phone number) so why bother when you can get AT&T and get a local number. Also, Verizon may be a great choice for you because of their reliable and extensive US coverage. So basically, the bottomline here is that the reason why "Some People Shouldn't Get Cingular Service in NYC" is the same reason why they shouldn't get Voicestream: limited suburban coverage.
    Your best options are Verizon and AT&T.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Who's complaining? I was complimenting them on their honesty. In the cellular world it's a breath of fresh air!

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oops! I thought it was an ironic/sarcastic comment since you added that "Maybe there will be some changes when/if they merge with Voicetream."
    Sorry...[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    That's true... their national coverage, however, covers all the major cities and often the interstates between the cities (this is less true in the West). I have found GSM (first Pac Bell Wireless, then Cingular, then TM/VS) to work well for me in the places I go, with the exception of Laramie, Wyoming, where they are in the process of building out GSM infrastructure.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

And I thought they offer the most in NYC. Cingular Nation plans are now the least outside this area, see for yourself visit their site.