Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why should I get a Windows Mobile phone?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mhollon, Jul 8, 2011.

1. mhollon

mhollon New Member

I need to learn what makes a phone with the Windows Mobile Phone OS a better phone than ones with a different operating system. What's better? What's not as good? Realitive to Android, iOS (Apple), and Blackberry, what are the strengths and weaknesses? Thanks

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi there, I am presuming you mean Windows Phone and not the now extinct Windows Mobile OS.

In any case, I don't believe any OS is truly better than another, each have their pluses and minuses, it is what is important to you. For example, I have an Android phone and an iOS tablet. The tablet does a few clearly defined things extremely well but in a limited and guarded manner, my Android phone on the other hand, is a wide open playing field where you can do as much or as little as you want to, including royally mess it up. :D

I had a BB prior to my Android and If E-Mail is the most important thing in a phone for you then a BB is your choice, but don't try to web browse too much or do anything fun with it.

Windows Phone is too new an OS, so I don't know much about maybe someone else can chime in on it.

I hope I helped some. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mhollon

mhollon New Member

Charlyee, Thanks for the response. I am not aware of the differences you mentioned between a Windows Phone and the now extinct Windows Mobile OS. I have always assumed them to be the same - and further, also known as Windows Phone 7 /Windows Mobile. 'sounds like I need to be aware of the differences. Thanks for your help

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    mhollon, you are welcome. Win Mobile aka WM aka Windows Mobile has been replaced by Widows Phone 7. None of the apps developed for WP7 are compatible with Win Mobile. Some of the differences being WP7 is more in the lines of Android and iOS with the capacitive touch screen, apps etc. the WM phones cannot be upgraded to WP7 either, it is basically a new OS.

I don't believe anyone on this Forum has one yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'd be the best bet for someone here to buy one, I've been using Windows Mobile for 5 or 6 years now. I've loved WM up until about 2 months after I purchased my current phone, an HTC Pure. Right after I purchased the phone, Microsoft announced that the new version of Win Mobile would not be compatible with previous versions... Meaning none of my applications would be able to moved to a new phone once released. Right at that point, all application development stopped for my phone.

My experience with how Microsoft handled the release of Win Phone 7, and the lack of support for my current phone has truly soured me on Microsoft's new mobile platform. IMHO, I signed a 2 year contract when I bought that phone, I should get support from Microsoft for more than 2 months after I buy it. I am looking to upgrade, as my upgrade will be due in a couple months. At this time it appears I will probably purchase an Android phone as there is a lot of support for customization of the phone and OS (which is what I enjoyed with previous versions of Win Mobile), and there is a lot of application support.

#5 Jay2TheRescue, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    3 people like this.
  6. speedy1979

speedy1979 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Up until August of 2010. I was a loyal windows mobile user. My first wm device was the Dell Axim x30 my first wm phone was the Htc Touch followed by Touch Pro and finally the Touch Pro2.

When M$ announced that they would be moving to a completely new OS (windows phone) which would be incompatible with all previously purchased and free apps released for WM 2003, 5.0 and 6.5 effectively abandoning all wm users I decided to it was time to move on. My choices were Android a relatively open and flexible OS or iOS with it's walled garden approach. I already had some experience with iOS since I owned an iPod touch. So on 8/11/10 I choose an android phone and haven't looked back.

It's been a year since. Here's what I've learned:
    1. Neither platform is truly open (from an end-user perspective) unlike a desktop OS both platforms require rooting (android) or jail-breaking (iOS) to realize the full potential of your device. But android is much more flexible even in an non-rooted state.

2. Android is better for web browsing. Since many Android phones have screens over 4 inches the largest being 4.5" and there are a multitude of browsers.

3. iOS is better for gaming since Android phones have a variety of different cpu's and gpu's and screen sizes game developers have a bigger challenge when developing for android. Don't get me wrong there some great games available on the android platform but you have to becareful to select the correct phone.

4. There is always a better phone coming out.:D

5. Competition is healthy.