Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why is Sprint considered the 'low-cost' carrier?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by erub, Apr 6, 2002.

1. erub

erub Junior Member

In my area, I don't see how they can be the low-cost carrier. All of their phones are over $100, $150 for a decent one, so even with a $50 mail in rebate, that's still ~$100. AT&T & Cingular both offer the popular 3360 for ~$50, and 5165 for free. Sprint's $39.99 plan includes only 350 anytime minutes; Cingular gives you 400; AT&T gives you 600 w/ a 2 year agreement on TDMA, and if you are willing to put up with a small coverage area (DFW metro) and sign a 2 year agreement, you get 750 minutes on GSM - and AT&T's N+W start at 8 pm, beating the other two.

The only reason I could see that Sprint would be the cheapest would be if you traveled only to major cities, like most people do. You get to use your minutes out of your normal bucket - be wary of analog roaming. But Verizon is being very competitive with their AC plans in this regard - $35/month gets you 300 minutes, $5 less for 50 less minutes than Sprint, and more coverage area. Cingular, beating both of them, will give you 350 anytime true nationwide (no roaming anywhere) minutes - for $40/month.

So in this regard, how is Sprint the low-cost carrier? Is Sprint going to change their plans/pricing structure soon to compete with the others?

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Who considers them the low cost carrier? Not me, although they just had a $100 mail in rebate promo for all phones. I think their current plans do need to be improved upon and that will probably happen at the end of this month.

3. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

I think that SPCS is not per-say a "low cost carrier" I just think they have some financial problems which every company has had its problems.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I saw an ad in the paper where you can get a Kyocera QCP-2255 phone through Sprint PCS for only $29.99 with a 2 year contract. Not a bad deal if you ask me and from what I hear that's suppose to be a good phone.

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes it's a good deal. One thing that's good about Sprint is that there are many good deals to be found. If you shop around thru the various retail stores they have such as Circuit City, CostCo, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. you will find that some stores have better promos then others do. For instance I know someone who just got the Kyocera 2255 for the regular $129 price but since she bought it at Circuit City was able to get a $100 cash mail in rebate and a $75 cash Cicuit City mail in rebate on top for just activating service on a one year contract. So the phone will turn out to be free plus money back once the rebates come. Plus the $10 online activation credit and the $10 refer a friend credit. So the key is to shop around with Sprint and not necessarily buy it at a Sprint store.