Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

why dont nokia make flip phones?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by G20Ryder, Aug 30, 2002.

1. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

Nokia's only flip that I know of was the analog 282. It wasn't that ugly.

The just-announced
    6800 is also a flip, but not in the normal sense. You still talk in the normal "candybar" mode, you only flip it open to type (and no its not the goofy 9000-style clamshell).

2. tino

tino Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless, at&t
    thats your opinion i think flips are just another option for people to have, Nokia would increase business if they made one or two flips for consumers....because they donot alot a people are going to other brands to get this......by having nothing they are losing a big piece of that market.....i cannot tell you the customers i deal with every day that complain of this issue of lack of option on Nokias part

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pfp

pfp Senior Member

As much as I think it's good of Nokia to stick with a style and offer it, I do have to agree in some sense.

From probably 30-50% of the customers in my store I hear one of these questions:

Early in conversation: What phones do you have that flip?

Late in conversation (after they've seen a few phones): Do you have any phones that flip open?

It's endless. And being in a Cingular TDMA area...the only thing we have is the v60...it's a solid phone, but it's got a price tag [​IMG].

P

4. Chan

Chan New Member

The phone in The Matrix was a baddass phone...they should make a new version of it. I heard they broke really easily though.

5. BizUser

BizUser Member

Interesting thread!

People seem to use 'flip phone' to describe different types of phone. What most people are calling flip phone is what I would call a 'clam shell' phone. Clam shell phones are essentially folded phones, with keyboard and display hidden. You have to really 'open' the phone to use it - and this is anything but a 'flip' operation. A flip phone is basically just a regular candy bar style, with a small cover over the keys. It just so happens that the two phones I own today - Nokia 6162 and Ericsson T28W - are this latter style of 'flip phone'.

I like flip phones because they do protect the keys from accidental pressing. Yes I could achieve that by 'locking' the keys, but I find it easier to 'flip' open the cover (on the Nokia, it's a pinky finger action; on the ericsson, it's a featherweight button press - not hard!). The flip phones don't offer protection of the screen, which is a problem. Unlike the poster who claims he's super bright by buying a protection plan (which others may consider to indicate extreme gullibility), I have found that you can buy those screen protectors sold for PDAs and cut out a simple square to protect the phone display - cheaper than a protection plan and less paperwork!

My main reason for liking a a flip phone, though, is appearance. I hate carrying a phone in my pocket simply because it looks bad in dress trousers (is that a phone in your pocket or are you happy to see me...?) and makes sitting a pain, so I tend to wear phones on belt-clips. A phone without a keyboard cover (flip) looks worse (personal opinion here... don't kill me). A keyboard cover (flip) gives the phone a more uniform look.

I guess the Nokia 6162 was not that popular, but it's a digital phone from Nokia and not a dark-ages analog model. Here's a piccie: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6162 .

And to those who claim Nokia's are only for beginners ... I started with Motorala 550, then Star Tac, then Nokia, then various models, then the Nokia 6162, then ericsson, then Siemens ... and I have to say that the Nokia is the nicest to use. The menus are simply the easiest and most intuitive. And the display - straight forward and obvious. Bar on left - signal strength, given plenty of space to show detail; bar on right - battery ... same thing.

So I too would like to see Nokia offer a flip phone again (not a clam shell). And it really is just a personal opinion, not an indication that I'm a moron, old, or stupid ... ;-)

6. Remission

Remission Junior Member

I have a phone similar to that one in the matrix movie, its the Nokia 7160, and yes the slide does come off easy, if I am not careful when pulling it down, the slide comes off completely. The "Active slide" is so worthless that I've had to disable it, because its supposed to answer and end calls by opening and closing it, but if its loose or you just "touch" the dam slide sometimes the call disconnects. Also, my phone turns completly OFF somtimes when I used the slide, and I've had it sent to Cingular to be fixed once already and it still does it.
    I've had my slide come completely off 3 times this week. Also, it doesn't even come with silent Vibration. You have to get a sep battery for that, something I've never experienced with a Nokia phone before. Also, the Im not sure if it's my phone or not, because I have dropped it, but the sound clarity is horrible!. Sometimes it's so low I cannot hear what someoen is saying. The phone is pretty nice though, the Navi roller is assume, and the screen is nice and big and clear with backlighting, and it comes with lots of nice software and IR, strong single and battery life, but I cant live without a vibration ring , and I'm tired of taking 5 minutes to put the slide back on. My #1 complaint now, is the crappy crappy desgin of the handsfree ear piece. Instead of a miniplug, its a square block that fits on the button of the phone, that comes off very easy and the connection while talking is bad and choppy. I'm hoping to get a Sony Ericsson for my next phone, if I can find out if it works with Cingular.

7. Pennicat

Pennicat New Member

Having recently switched from a Nokia candybar style to a Samsung clamshell, I must say that I much prefer the new one. The form factor alone is so much nicer as it feels like I am talking on a "real" phone. Also, reception and clarity are far better with the new phone. I don't see how it is any more difficult to answer with the new phone as it has "acive flip" which allows me to answer simply by opening the phone. Also, with the nokia, I had to be careful to lock the keys using a two-key action, whereas with this one I just have to close the phone. After having my purse accidentally place calls to my company CEO a few times (first listing in my phone book until I got smart and made a fake one that was alphebetically in front of his), I had to be extra careful to always lock my keypad. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore. I

8. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Hi all, i too was a faithful nokia user (and i still love nokias). I used to be with cingular for a long time, lord i can't even remember what model my first nokia was but i do remember it was big and heavy..lol..but i have had the 6120 (used that one for a LONG time) and then i went to the 8260 and i really liked that one because it was little and had an internal antenna but then i got tired of that one, oh yeah and i had a 5180i also..lol, but i wanted to try a flip phone so therefore that's why i switched to verizon and eventually got the motorola v60i and i am VERY happy with it. I wish nokia would make a flip but i really don't think that will happen but even still i am still a nokia lover!!! Then again i am a motorola lover too now!!!..hehehe [​IMG][​IMG]

9. BizUser

BizUser Member

So if you call the Motorola V60 a 'flip', then what do you call the Nokia 6162? To me, the V60 is a 'clamshell', not a flip. But anyway, I tried th V60 and didn't like it because I could not open it easily with one hand - I always had to use both hands, which I hate - and others hate me for it. I think (personal opinion here...) that a ringing cell phone is a gross imposition on everyone around me, so I feel compelled to answer it FAST. With the 6162, you answer simply by flipping open the flap - one finger operation with phone comfortably in hand. I ofen see women with clamshells in their purses; you hear a loud ring; they fumble; and finally, after about 2 or 3 rings, they finally free up both hands so they can open the phone. By this time, everyone in the restaurant/meeting/bus/train has been interrupted/distracted....

10. braindead500

braindead500 Member

In no way do you need a flip phone to do all that. The new phone from T-mobile in a color camera phone, and it candybar. What about the erricson t68? Color and candybar. All Nextel candybar phones are wireless wen enabled. So in no way do you need a flip to do a bunch of things. How many of your mentioned features does the Motorola v60 have? not many. Please don't say things about phones when you haven't researched it because it can lead people on and also cause others to have to defend the very phones your putting down.

11. nokia7190

nokia7190 New Member

I think clam shell phone do more than just protects the keypad. It also reduces phone's surface area when it close.
    However, I am a clam shell phone's fan.