Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

why dont nokia make flip phones?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by G20Ryder, Aug 30, 2002.

  1. G20Ryder

    G20Ryder Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2002
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    0
    why dont nokia make flip phones?? i know they made one analog one awhile back but why not anymore?
     
  2. Jack

    Jack Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2001
    Messages:
    2,449
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ohio
    My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I wondered the same thing.

    Also the analog they made came after many digital phones were introduced.

    Jack
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Pride I guess...I also wish they make some flip models.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mrnokia

    mrnokia Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2002
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    0
    nokia doesnt make flip phones because that is what they are known for. nice sleek simple phones. but if you would like some flip nokias you can get flip cases at www.cutepcs.com[​IMG]
     
  5. Jack

    Jack Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2001
    Messages:
    2,449
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Ohio
    My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thats not the same as a true flip

    Also would be nice to see a updated version of the Nokia 6162

    Jack
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dukedog

    Dukedog Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2002
    Messages:
    571
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think Nokia would gain alot more market if they sold Flip phones.
     
  7. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    More than what they have already?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The used to sell flip phones... none of the newer models are flip though.

    S. Cole
     
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Nokia phones are usually relatively less expensive. Many are free-with-activation/rebate... That's why there's so many of them out there... That's why they seem to have such a large market share... and many Nokia users have never owned any phone from another manufacturer... I'm sure those users aren't on this forum though because they usually don't care to know anything about their phones....
     
  10. psycho

    psycho Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2002
    Messages:
    71
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree. I think that as users mature, they will find that Nokia phones will not meet their needs.

    Nokia, along with ericsson and motorola (the MEN trio) have long stifled innovation, and now are rushing to maintain their dominance. Having lived in japan and used Korean and Japanese phones, as well as european phones and CDMA US phones, I would have to say that the big three are to blame.

    Nokia, I have to admit, is the biggest offender. I have a friend who works for nokia who admits that they repackage phones and sell them over and over. Nokia never even thought about color screens until the saw the success of the T68m/i series phoes

    As phones with data and imaging services become more prevalant, people will turn to folders/clamshells/flips becuase they need the precious real estate for packaging. Already, flip phones are considered more upscale in asia, and are starting to catch on in europe. In most of east asia, candy bars are considered low-end.

    GSM? Early 90s technology
    It just happened that Nokia was stuck on their early 90s tech mentality too.
     
  11. mrnokia

    mrnokia Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2002
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, you're wrong. Nokia has simple, nice, sleek phones on purpose. No need of flips when they are doing so well w/out flips. majority would rather not sell flips and that is why the nokia doesnt and is doing so well.

    And, Nokias will meet users needs because there are different types of nokias for different types of people. many of them are simple and very user-friendly so people can adapt to them quickly. if mainly people who haven't had a phone before are the ones now getting a nokia, how can it not fit their needs? its their first phone. they dont ahave needs!

    Nokia has thought and has HAD colored screens out way before the T68m/i series phones. They came out in the middle east - africa - asia - and europe before the united states as a test run. and it takes a while for it to come out in the US after being released in the UK etc... the T68m/i series phones just came out in the US before the nokias came out in the US because the T68m/i series phones werent out in the UK - asia - etc. first..

    Nokia is the best! lets not let stupidity get the best of us.
     
  12. gtada

    gtada New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2002
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree with mrnokia... why would you want a flip phone? It's just one more thing that can break. What happens if you accidentally sit on a flip phone when it's open? Also, true flip phones tend to be thicker when folded, which is another reason I don't want one. I like that Nokia keeps their phones simple and solid.

    P.S. Psycho, Crayon Shinchan rules! LOL
     
  13. SpinMixr

    SpinMixr New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Flip phones are ugly, usually thicker and wider, easliy breakable, a hassle to mess with, and just plain retarded!
     
  14. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hehe...nice to hear a bag of mixed opinions. I have a Nokia which I really like for its simplicity (no complicated special keys to learn), ease of use and simply because it allows me to do what everyone needs to do with their cell phones: Talk and hear. I have no need for the web, pictures, music, FM stations, MP3, etc. in my phone which can make it grow bigger. However, flip or non-flip both of these styles have their advantages and disadvantages so I wouldn't rush and say that one company needs this or that it doesn't need it. It really comes down to how the company wants to present themselves to the public.

    The good side of flip phones is that they have better screen and keypad protection, are able to have bigger screens without oversizing the phone. On the downside, the hinges are delicate, battery spacing is limited or makes the phone too thick. Most flip phones have external antennas which can break but I won't hold that against them because I think antenna style doesn't depend on phone style.

    Candybar phones have their advantages over flips: there are no hinges to break, there's no need to open it to use it, they are sturdier, and can be slim even with an extended battery. However, on the downside, candybar phones have limited screen space, keys are not protected so you can dial someone's number by accident if you forget to lock the keypad and the screen can get more scratches since it is not protected.

    Personally, I like flip phones better simply because their design protects the keys and the screen better. I find it hard for anyone to forget their flip phone open and leave it where someone may sit on it. After all, phone care is the owner's responsibility. However, I also like my internal antenna and the Nokia easy to use software. Bottomline, it depends on what you like best.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Airb330

    Airb330 Silver Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2002
    Messages:
    3,544
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    3
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Mt. Royal, NJ
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I would defend candybars, but I have seen the pluses of flips (a310!). I still don't think they are for me, screen IS protected more because I'll just buy a new faceplate, keylock isn't annoying it is just as easy to push menu * as it is to open a flip phone. Sure their screens are bigger but I like to just whip out my phone and do stuff, I think a flip wouldn't be for me, but I may try out the A310.
     
  16. SpinMixr

    SpinMixr New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bobolito makes some very good points and opinions. Very well said! As for the keypad and screen protection ordeal......if your smart like me, (then you bought a protection plan with your phone), so in case your phone gets messed up or used out they will replace it for free! If we have learned nothing from this constant rambling i think the most important lesson is this: Be smart like me and by a protection plan, unless your stupid or somthing.... lol =]
     
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ive had a 3390 for about a year, when i take it out of my pocket to make a call i dont even think about it, i auto unlock it, i dont even need to look at the keys, and its the same when im finished, i lock the keypad all the time, also, my phone goes in my left pocket, same pocket as my keys(oh dear god, i have the pockets on my pants organized, what next? lol) and the screen has seen no scratches, so im not really sure where the argument on the screen being scratched is.
    i love my 3390, its smaller than any phone my friends have, and its really easy to use.

    if you want all that high tech pictures and wireless web and all that jazz then id go flip phone, but if all you need to do is make calls then a "candybar"(i guess thats what theyre called?) phone works well

    although my friend has a new samsung phone with a color screen and all, and it is way cool, im really thinking about getting that phone just because of the badass color screen(thats such a poor excuse to do it, but if i have the money then i think i might have too)
     
  18. ilektronik

    ilektronik New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I can't believe the level of ignorance displayed by that last user.

    >>if you want all that high tech pictures and wireless web and all that jazz then id go flip phone, but if all you need to do is make calls then a "candybar"(i guess thats what theyre called?) phone works well

    I mean come on!!!! What does the fact that the phone is a flip phone have ANYTHING to do with having wireless web ?!?!?!?! The old school StarTac was flip and it wasn't even digital! And if all you need is a phone that works well you are to get a candybar style phone??? My head is spinning at the thought of begining to understand the logic behind that statement.

    We truly live amongst stupid people. So much for the theory of the monkeys on keyboards re-creating any great novels....
     
  19. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, let's not be rude....Some people simply don't have as much information as you do, but that doesn't mean they are stupid. Simply inform him that that one thing has nothing to do with the other and move on. We all don't know everything but we all have something to learn from others.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. tylerdurden

    tylerdurden Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2002
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, the majority of wireless web/color screen phones are flips. Yes, nokia has the 7210, 7650, and 3650, but still, the "majority" are flips. Saying that "most color/data-enabled phones are filps" is not the same thing as saying "most flip phones are color/data-enabled."

    Calling the other poster ignorant is pretty bold.
     
  21. ilektronik

    ilektronik New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I didn't mean to come off that aggresive, it just gets annoying when people who have no basis of logic give insight on something that he/she has no knowledge base to back with.
     
  22. Viceduke

    Viceduke New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2002
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nokia does have a flip (hehe), the 9290 communicator.
     
  23. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The thing is Ilektronik that most people don't know when they are misinforming others. I am sure it is not done on purpose.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. Anagnorisis

    Anagnorisis New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2002
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    I disagree with many who think that Nokia users are mostly new mobile users.

    I have been using wireless phones for over 12 years. For 6 years in the USA and for the last 6 in Europe and Asia. I have gone through Nec, Oki, Nec again, Motorola, Audiovox, Ericcson, Bosch, Motorola again, and now Nokia. I have used Nokia only for 1 year. Before to me the phone was just a tool to use for convenience. But now I really enjoy my 8250 blue screen Nokia. The user interface is the easiest to use. You use a nokia phone, you can use any nokia model out there with ease. It becomes very intuitive. Since moving out of the USA, I sincerely converted to the advantages of GSM. Now I converted to Nokia. I do not entertain the idea now of buying any other phone but Nokia, whereas before I didnt care about the brand, but only about the size of the phone and other things that were not brand related.

    As for flip-phones...... the 8250 is so small already. Anyway...the less moving parts there are the better for me. Things that move tend to break more.
     
  25. mrnokia

    mrnokia Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2002
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes out of all phones I find the NOkia user interface to be most easiest to use. They really know what consumers wnat AND like. [​IMG]
     
  26. heino79

    heino79 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2002
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    If u want flip phone, dont buy NOkia. Do like I, and buy Motorola T720 [​IMG].

    Anyways.. Nokias are only for new mobile users or old people heh [​IMG]

    I`v had three Nokia`s and two Motorola`s, soon gonna get 3.rd Moto, with flip [​IMG]
     
  27. mrnokia

    mrnokia Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2002
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    0

    Nokias are not only for new mobile users and old people - don't be so discriminatory. Just because you like Motorola don't make up lies and nontrue-facts about Nokia. Are you saying that Nokia is only for new mobile users and old people because the interface is the most simplest? Well... let me tell you soemthing, Most simplest means that they are the best. They know how to help peoples needs and how to readjust, showing high quality and prestigious skills.

    p.s. isn't the moto t720 a bit bulky ( i love moto too! )
     
  28. heino79

    heino79 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2002
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    okay okay sorry I take my words back [​IMG]. You are 100% rite what u said about nokia.

    Motorola may be bulky,,but its cheaper than Nokia [​IMG]. T720 isnt bulky!! [​IMG]
     
  29. bobolito

    bobolito Diamond Senior Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2002
    Messages:
    12,735
    Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    50
    Likes Received:
    53
    Location:
    in front of my computer
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    MrNokia, I have a whip here if you want to punish heino. Geez, cool off!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  30. braindead500

    braindead500 Member
    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Messages:
    238
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nokia did in fact make a flip phone as an experiment and it was extremely ugly and failed misearbly and was yanked off the market.
     

Share This Page

Copyright 1997-2022 Wireless Advisor™, LLC. All rights reserved. All registered and unregistered trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
WirelessAdvisor.com is not associated by ownership or membership with any cellular, PCS or wireless service provider companies and is not meant to be an endorsement of any company or service. Some links on these pages may be paid advertising or paid affiliate programs.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice