Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why doesnt T-Mobile have the cool phones?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by nosir, Dec 6, 2006.

1. nosir

nosir New Member

I have been using T-Mobile To-Go for about a year now, and i am pretty happy with them. Their customer service has always been top notch and reception in most areas is excellent (I live in St. Louis and go to school in a somewhat rural area about an hour from there). So when i decided to switch over to a post-paid plan, T-Mobile was the obvious choice.

I called them up and told them what i was thinking about doing and they told me i could not keep my number because it was a Pre-Paid. So i called again. Same answer. So i called again, this time they say 'oh yeah no problem! let me transfer you to activation and she can get you going'. So i talk to the activation lady and she says that it is completely fine :rolleyes:. I didn't want to switch quite yet though, so i thanked her and went on my way.

So about a week ago i decide its time to take the plunge and get a new plan, and start browsing for phones on the T-Mobile website. To my surprise, the selection is quite meager in comparison to Verizon and Cingular which both have a plethora of the new cool looking/full featured phones. The problem is, i really really really don't want Cingular or Verizon because i have heard so many horror stories about both. T-Mobile is my one true love and i would feel like a bastard leaving her.

I have heard about buying 'unlocked' phones and such, but i am still very confused about this, and also only have about $150-$200 to drop on a new phone so my choices seem pretty limited. Also, the whole paying $200 for something that i might mess up during activation and doing settings and all that jazz is frightening, as i am a college student and a dollar goes a long way for me these days.

So i suppose in short, my question is, why doesn't T-Mobile get all the cool phones like Verizon and Cingular? TMO has the Plum, the Blackberry Pearl, the Samsung t629, the Samsung Trace, and the (highly over-rated in my opinion) Razr family. Verizon and Cingular both have too many cool phones to name.

What do i do!?:eek: :(

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I say you stick with T-Mobile, with coverage and customer service that has always worked for you. In my opinion, T-Mobile's phone lineup is not bad at all, and even if you think it is, you have to make a compromise somewhere. Verizon may have nice-looking phones as you state, but Verizon cripples their "feature rich" phones, so bluetooth, mp3 functions and other things are limited and crippled...in other words, they are not as "nice" as they seem.
    Take another look at T-Mobile's website, or go to a store...There must be a phone you like. ;)

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think T-Mobile's handset lineup is very competitive, though I do admit that they have too many RAZRs.

In my experience T-Mobile's customer service and network are second to none. T-Mobile pretty much has coverage where they say they'll have coverage and I have only had one bad experience with their customer service in over two years of being with them, and it wasn't even really that bad compared with other stories I've heard from people with other carriers.

I echo Andy's post and say stick with T-Mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree with both the crazy people that came before me ;)

But I also want to point out, T-Mobile sticks with Proven phones, also they don't offer 3G yet which is partially why they don't have as "complete" of an offering as say Cingular. Tmobile is rapidly starting it's deployment of 3G (they've announced the top 100 markets by end of 2007) so I'm sure the phone lineup will be changing in the, not so distant, future to accomodate that.

Until then find a phone that they have that makes you happy and stick with probably one of the best companies in the states, heck use your prepay phone if need be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nosir

nosir New Member

A resounding 'stick with T-Mobile', just like i expected. I do absolutely love them, i hear horror stories about all the other carriers but i have never had one iota of disdain towards T-Mobile.

I do need a new phone, as my Nokia 6101 (i think) is on its death bed. I just cant seem to decide because none of the TMO phones really grab my attention. The Plum looks pretty cool and so does the Trace, do you guys have any opinions/recommendations as far as choosing one of their phones goes?

6. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The RAZR is always a good choice, Motorola v195 is decent, though it doesn't have a camera. I like the PEBL very much and the v360 is okay but it's plastic-ey and feels kinda cheap.

Gee, I suggested four Motorola handsets... who would'a thunk?

7. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Let me be the voice of reason then :p

The nokia 6030 seems like a reasonable selection and it's myFave's compatible. Keep in mind also that since you're coming from a nokia it's interface wouldn't be an adjustment.

8. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Well, here's an option for you: Get the free phone (or the cheapo) from T-Mobile and have them activate it. Then you can buy the unlocked phone once you know that the activation has gone right.

All you have to do is take the SIM card (it's under the battery) out of the phone that T-Mobile sold you and put it in the phone you bought. As long as it's compatible (meaning it has 800/850 and 1900 MHz) and unlocked you shouldn't have any problem.

Do bear in mind that you won't be able to use T-Mobile's phone internet unless you use a T-Mobile-branded phone.

9. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    This is the second pro T-Mobile post I've seen from Andy in the past two minutes. Hmmm... :D

nosir - When I converted from prepaid to postpaid at the beginning of 2005, I kept the same phone number with T-Mobile. In fact, they also gave me a brand new phone, free. :)

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i also agree........stay with T-Mobile.....they have top notch CS......coverage where they say they do as well as good solid connection......phones that worked and aren't all locked up like the Cingular phones.........i had Motorolas with T-Mobile for about a year and loved them.......had a Nokia 6103 and it was pretty good although the menu system on those phones can get kinda confusing.........

yeah.....there are some phones in the online configurator that T-Mobile doesnt currently offer but can buy and configure anyway.......try it...but ZaphodB's plan is pretty solid.....and yes it is possible to bring problems if you try to use internet

11. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I just ported my Cingular number to T-Mo, since corporate stores didn't have any handsets i liked, i went to an independent cell phone shop and bought an unlocked KRZR K1. ;)

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    May I ask as to why you ported, Tony?

13. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    As to the "cool" phones:

It could be consumer preference.

It could also be that the phone manufacturers are not marketing certain models in certain countries.

14. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Andy, a very good friend of mine has T-Mobile, and so do most of my friends, so i was racking up alot of minutes with Cingular to the point where i had to changed my calling plan to the 2000 mins and a bigger text messaing plan as well, so since my contract ended i decided to save some money and port to T-Mobile, now with mobile to mobile, all i need is a 600 minute calling plan for $39.99 which includes 500 free text messages vs the $115 i was spending with Cingular.

Cingular always gave me excellent customer service help, but T-Mobile is just better for me cost wise and it gives me better signal at home as well. ;)

15. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And now I can call you for free with unlimited T-Mobile-to-T-Mobile on your old v620... ironic?

16. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey we can make it more ironic and you can buy my mint condition v3i and call me from that one. ;)

#16 Tony E!, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  17. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh no, my friend, I have a very nice V3 and U6 to use. No new phones for me for a while.;)

18. nosir

nosir New Member

Alright well i am going to stick with T-Mobile, but i have been trying to figure out this whole unlocked phone thing. Im going to get the Get More 600 minute + nights/weekends, and im in the St. Louis area. Where would i get a phone that could work on TMO's network and which ones would be all compatible, and all that other jazz.

Basically im an idiot and i hate the Razr so...:confused: :rolleyes:

19. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That is quite a difference in monthly fees; quite worth it!!!! T-Mobile also has a $15 unlimited Texting plan, which is may swing me over their way one of these days too. ;)

20. Softshell

Softshell New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung T519
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile

Wow... $39.99 included text AND free mobile to mobile? I JUST made the switch to Tmobile yesterday. Paid $39.99 for 600 minutes and another $4.99 for 400 texts. That's $45/month no mobile2mobile. Sucks for me :mad:

21. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    This is not true. I have a Nokia 6310i that was not offered by T-Mobile and I can get all the on line content as well as access WAP sites just fine with a non-branded handset.

22. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I chose the Nat'l Business Plan, it incudes 500 free text messages and U/L M-M but with no Night Mins but you can add that for $4.99 which is cheaper than if you add M-M for $6.99 and you can cancel the $4.99 for text messages since you're gonna get 500 for free.
    In the end you still end up paying $45, but you get U/L M-M. ;)

23. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Agreed, i can use T-Zones on my unbranded KRZR, just had to configured my handset for it.

24. Softshell

Softshell New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung T519
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    GREAT tip Tony! I really appreciate it. :)

25. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

Interesting. Can you get only one line?

26. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Of course you can, like with any carrier.

27. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

They have nothing similar (in the same price range) to Cingular's: 450 day minutes, 5000 night and weekend minutes, and unlimited mobile to mobile for $34. Meaning, it should be less or equal to $34.

28. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That wasn't your question, you asked if it's available for one line.

And the reason it's not the same price range it's because T-Mobile offers 600 mins not 450, unlimited weekends, not 5000 and T-Mobile doesn't have to have the same plans as Cingular.

29. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The way T-Mobile put everything together when they processed my MCSA form, is that I can now select between personal and business plans. Although I am presently off-contract (been that way for one year now), I'm keeping my options open. Currently, the 300 minute plan (Get More 300) suits my needs perfectly. A month or so back, although I did not go over the 300 minutes, out of what was used, 60 minutes were billed as mobile-to-mobile.

30. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

They have the ability to give you any minutes and any features for any price. I want something similar for $34 or less.