Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why doesnt Nextell, and T-mobile combine?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Fullstrength, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

This is quite strange that these 2 havent gotten together. I heard Nextell was going to have GSM phones and iden phones. I would think that if they combined, t would help them both. 2 struggling companies might equal on descent one.

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

They have completely incompatible networks and Nextel stands by their iDen technology. They're not going to change to GSM.

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Even if they combine, (which is extremely unlikely) it would not help them because their networks overlap and are incompatible. Merges or purchases are only beneficial when one company has compatible coverage where the other one doesn't. In other words, they won't get any benefit because in the end, the resulting company will still have the same workload for network expansion, not to mention the extra load in the conversion from iDEN to GSM. Besides, I don't exactly see T-Mobile as struggling.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I don't exactly see Nextel as struggling either...... besides the incompatible networks both T-Mobile and Nextel both have enough debt load anyway. (Doesn't mean they are struggling though)

5. i27e

i27e Member

i have a really simple answer to this

because it would be stupid if they did, never make a post like that again[​IMG]

6. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Nextel and T-Mo??? Why, especially when there is NO PTT product for GSM and may never be??? Talk about "strange bedfellows"...

If Nextel ever "hooks up" with anyone I suspect it will be VZW -- but Nextel is really proud of iDEN and their high ARPU, and I don't quite think Nextel's shareholders would allow even VZW to acquire or merge with Nextel, let alone a weak (in subs, network, coverage, you name it) consumer-oriented carrier such as T-Mo, even if T-Mo were CDMA!

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  8. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    If you call this PTT:

"For wireless users, Push-To-Talk offers a new means of communicating with one or many individuals at the push of a button on a wireless device. With a Push-To-Talk-enabled wireless device, a user can review the availability of contacts or buddies in the address book, similar to text instant messaging services from companies like ICQ or Yahoo!(TM).
    Based on who is available, the user can simply push a button and start a Push-To-Talk dialog in a walkie-talkie or chat room-like mode. Additionally, with the Direct Message Service, a user can select one or many individuals in the wireless device's contact list, create a voice message of any length and send it at the push of a button. As a recipient of a Direct Message, the user is alerted of a new voice message, and can retrieve that message instantly."

Not quite the same as the PTT feature from Nextel. What carrier is thinking of using this?

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would prefer to read the entire article. Where did you get this from DandyDon?

10. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel

ummm in the link you posted.....